• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

That Was New Meaning................

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I Luv Herfrds

Reaction score
To Freezing Your Butt Off.

Hubby and I got done milking my Jersey at the barn and were heading back to the house.
I got out of the truck to open the gate and realized that the bottle I use to carry the warm water to wash her bag had spilled and I sat in it.

It is 11 degrees with a nice north breeze blowing.

Just have to laugh at the weird things that happen in life. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes it cleared up.
We are milking her once a day and are getting 2 gallons a day. When I skim the cream off in the morning I am getting a quart and a half a day. Been making butter every other day and wrapping it in wax paper.

Took a bag of that dairy feed to the barn tonight and found that it had molded. It's heading for the dump.
She's doing good on the barley, grass and alfafa hay along with the ground barley she gets during the milking each morning.

Chris-- you're story reminded me of what happened to me a couple weeks ago- and since you are an EMT I figured you might appreciate it...

Anyway we have drifts inside and outside the corral easily 10-15 deep-- and a couple weeks ago we got freezing rain- and a few days melt and back into the deep freeze....

Anyway- long story short-- I was out in the dark finishing up chores- on this new rain covered snow- and my feet went out from under me- and I hit enough on my head to knock myself out...

When I came to I was at the bottom of one of these big snow/ice drifts-- and I couldn't get back up it- or get my feet to stay under me to do so....

After cussing and trying to crawl up it-- I took my cell phone- and tried to call the house where I knew Bobbie was and the daughter and son in law was visiting and could help me..
Old lock type cell phone-- In the dark I couldn't see the numbers to punch the code to unlock it so I could dial out....
Finally my old 911 training was remembered-- and that you can call 911 from even a locked phone.... So I dialed 911- and thankfully the 911 dispatcher that answered was an old Deputy that had worked for me--- and my first words were "Mike-- I've fallen and I can't get up" :wink: :lol:

I got him to call the house- send out Ricci- and with his help he got me out of the icehole....But I've stuck ice cleats on every set of boots I wear since then.....

And I've caught hell from scanner land....... :lol: :lol:

Been there, done that OT. Luckily my phone wasn't locked though so I could just call the Native. It was early spring so we had some stand water along with a lot of glazed and frozen drifts. I was on my back with my feet uphill and my head laying in a puddle. The way that I fell, I couldn't get turned over.

Sounds like your cow is doing pretty good ILH. When mine freshen, I'm going to buy a few more jersey heifer bottle calves and graft them on. Usually I just by a bunch of bums, but with the prices the way they are, I can buy the jersey heifers just as cheap. It sounds like you could put a couple more on your cow and still have plenty. Good luck with her.

Glad you ok Dick.
Yeah that scanner land never let's you forget that sort of stuff.
Talked to a guy recently and told him how you guys have not gottenn the chinooks we have.
Hope you guys get a slow melt so there is little flooding.

Latest posts