• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

that wool vest.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
Ranchers! yes, I would like COOL But what to bring up that wool vest, coat, long johns. Are the ones you wear made in USA, from USA Wool? Or do you save a few dollars on stuff made with foreign wool (Cotton) and labor to make? Oh, the fresh vegetable and fruit Isle along with the can goods where did those Mendrin oranges, grapes, apples, and other produce come from.
what brought this rant on is a HS school mate owns Wyoming Traders, I like their silk rags, But his wool products to me are not the same quality as what I like, and his add on the radio this morning was they are 22% Australian Wool, no tell where the rest came from.

Good points, Jody.
But what can we do about it?
I'm more aware than ever about where our food comes from.
Imports are part of our life.
We do export things.
I remember when we were on a ship coming back into the USA
from Canada. The river on the Canadian side was full of logs,
on the US side, nothing. Some of this is because of the restrictions
of our government. It seems for years, they want us to rely on imports.

I went and looked. I have a wool coat and wool vest both made by Filson. They both say made in America but doesn't say where the wool came from. Going to look on Pendleton shirts but I have to walk upstairs to check that. I know the Pendleton garments are made in the USA. I know when I bought that Filson coat the store also sold Woolrich coats. So I compared the two brands. The Filson was far and away and better coat.

Filson fan here , think most their wool comes from the northwest like Pendleton, but not all of it. Yes that Filson might cost a lot but it our last everything in the closet, as do Pendleton shirts, I have some from my granddad I handed down to my son , now that going on 4 generations. Woolrich and L.L.Bean sell USA made. but like you said....

My clothes i buy at ufa or peaveymart come from Bangladesh or maybe Vietnam.
Canada has so many environmental laws,taxes and regulations we dont make anything anymore.
I got a Brownells catalogue and was going to buy a lot of cool stuff. Brownell's is out of Iowa. American government wants me to buy a 100 dollar export fee on any part that is necessary for a firearm to function. That's on top of all the ordinary fees and taxes, brokers,shipping .

My stepson keeps a herd of sheep to help manage Spurge. He tells me that there is no market for raw wool in the USA now. If that's the case, then any fabric that is still manufactured in the US must be from imported wool? I'm a big and tall guy with a "Made in China, Walmart sale rack" kind of budget for clothes, so I usually have to just buy whatever I can manage to find. I do try to "buy American" whenever possible. I can appreciate that the cost of implementing COOL would have to come out of somebody's pocket and anticipate that it would ultimately come out of us producers pockets, but I for one, would like to at least have the information as to where my food comes from and be empowered to make that choice.

My stepson keeps a herd of sheep to help manage Spurge. He tells me that there is no market for raw wool in the USA now. If that's the case, then any fabric that is still manufactured in the US must be from imported wool? I'm a big and tall guy with a "Made in China, Walmart sale rack" kind of budget for clothes, so I usually have to just buy whatever I can manage to find. I do try to "buy American" whenever possible. I can appreciate that the cost of implementing COOL would have to come out of somebody's pocket and anticipate that it would ultimately come out of us producers pockets, but I for one, would like to at least have the information as to where my food comes from and be empowered to make that choice.
My neighbors bought a John Deere chore tractor. Has made in America stickers on it but engine was made in India or Pakistan and I think all rest of parts are China.
In Alberta they sell made in Canada squeeze chute. Whole thing is made in south America and sort of assembled here.
Name Brand's that used to be quality years ago are basically junk now. Caterpillar would be good example of that

Latest posts