• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

the babysitter

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hereford76

Reaction score
babysitter.jpg

well nicky - my headstone won't read what i wanted...

3 to 1 ratio baldy to good guys this year. 75% calved and only 2 weeks to the day into the season. had more inquiries about hereford females than ever before and i x bred all the commercial cows last spring. i just thought it was kind of ironic that here i was offering bulls and promoting heterosis while i wasn't taking advantage of it myself. fellas from kazahkstan are coming out May 1st and I won't have anything for them this fall. should be some nice F1 replacements in there anyhow and hopefully a little heavier bb steer calves this fall.

I've been wondering when you were going to fess up! My tombstone can still say that :D I might've let Mike buy black cows, but I've never bred a hereford to a black.

Mike wants to know how our bull is and are the embryo calves born yet?

ya - i'm weak! i wanted my headstone to read like isbell's... oh well. i thought about it lots and asked myself why i wasn't doing it on the com cows anyhow - only reasons i could come up with were tradition and pride. a purebred angus breeder from north of cut bank that had bought a hand full of bulls over the years asked to trade straight across that spring and i took him up on it with two bulls. i remember him saying he didn't know why he didn't do it long before he did.

bulls are doing good - going to carcass scan in another 10 days or so. got a good report back on the one i sent into canada that they scanned there. 2nd highest rea/cwt out of his whole bunch and a 3.99 imf score with 0.16 back fat - i thought it was pretty interesting anyhow not putting as much emphasis on carcass as most. i still think you just stick to breeding the right females and the rest comes along with instead of chasing this or that.

got 3 of the 6 ET calves and so far all heifers :D . Hopefully two more heifers and 1 bull then i don't have to sell one!

heres some pics from this am

1st calvers - 1 month and 28 days of hay into them...
4-15-2012.jpg

4-15-2012a.jpg

some of the calves out with the cows - 6 days of hay into the mature cows this year
4-15-2012b.jpg

tara came out to tag, tattoo, and weigh this am... along with pecos, he's such a good dog. stays off about 75ft when we find a new one.
4-15-2012c.jpg

Wow, I wish we only had 6 days of hay into the cows!!! Everything looks great. You better get more than 1 ET bull!

76;
Is that a straight Border Collie dog or a cross? Just asking as I have recently been introduced to "the other cow dog".

Haytrucker said:
76;
Is that a straight Border Collie dog or a cross? Just asking as I have recently been introduced to "the other cow dog".

he's got papers. some close friends over in the bear paws raise them. i think there was some canadian buying their dogs and training them up there and then selling them. when the canadian buyer/trainer didn't get the litter pecos was in they had no place for them to go. they gave me pecos. he's trying to train me but i'm just to stuck in my ways - i wish i knew what i was doing with him.

i guess 3/15 to 4/13 is still 28 days not a month and 28 days.

no problem dylan - nothing compared to your photos!

Ace that 814 cow we got from you calved a bull calf out of our Bear bull. Heaviest calf 86#. He was coming tail first vet had to come get him out.
Been throwing upper 70 to lower 80 BW out of both bulls.
Will have to get some pics up. Calves are looking awesome!

Any pics of our "boys"? How is that new bull doing?

I Luv Herfrds said:
Ace that 814 cow we got from you calved a bull calf out of our Bear bull. Heaviest calf 86#. He was coming tail first vet had to come get him out.
Been throwing upper 70 to lower 80 BW out of both bulls.
Will have to get some pics up. Calves are looking awesome!

Any pics of our "boys"? How is that new bull doing?

oh man tail first - i hate those. I remember the first time i ever saw that - phoned the vet and he came out and walked me thru how to get the calf out... calf came out alive but never would take a breath. the very next night i had another and i got it out alive. haven't had one since (boy i just set myself up there)

nice to hear about the bw's and calves - the bulls are doing fine... i'll try and take some pictures. i think it was maybe a week ago or so i drove down to look at the old bulls and teased them. they could smell me a mile away with my calving coat/gloves. got them all worked up.

Soap he puts curlers in every night. Has to work the mousse in for it to hold that good too. :wink:
Just kidding it is natural.

I Luv Herfrds said:
Heard you had to have our vet, Pat, up for a c-section.
Nice guy ain't he?
He sure loves Hereford cattle. :D

a crumby way to meet a good guy. enjoyed the visit with him while he worked. that whole deal kinda grounded me - i didn't think i could get stumped like that, i just couldn't do it. all i can say is rubber neck, could not get the calf the keep its head straight and start to pull at the same time. tried some twine around the back of his head and thru his mouth - no luck. i finally played myself out and started calling for a vet - someone gave me pat's number and he showed up probably 4 hours after i realized something was wrong. actually about 1/2 hour before he showed up i put my arm back in to see if the calf was still alive - he was. pulled my arm out and heard an air girgle - didn't think much until it kept going in repetition. put my ear closer and the bugger was actually breathing inside the cow - his front legs made an air passage to his nose. kind of wierd. anyhow, we got it out alive. heifer had plenty of pelvis and the calf weighed 87lbs but just had a rubber neck is the only way i can describe it. anyhow - ended as good as it could have i guess.

My new bull was born Monday - - - Registered Angus out of a 10 year old cow - - - bull half of a set of twins - - - third set of twins the cow has had and two of his older half sisters have had twins.

I'm hoping the hiefers I get from him will have twins as the area where I'm located the cows can raise twins with no problem.

I still haven't seen him but I know the herd and I'm sure he will work for me.

Ace
Pat was talking to Darrell about testing our bulls.
Said if you were interested he could come up and do both yours and ours together and save us all some time.

Latest posts