• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The Best Day Of My Life

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Casa Paloma

Reaction score
Today, when I awoke, I suddenly realized that this is the best day of my life, ever.

There were times when I wondered if I would make it to today; but I did! And because I did I'm going to celebrate! Today, I'm going to celebrate what an unbelievable life I have had so far: the accomplishments, the many blessings, and, yes, even the hardships because they have served to make me stronger.

I will go through this day with my head held high and a happy heart. I will marvel at God's seemingly simple gifts: the morning dew, the sun, the clouds, the trees, the flowers, the birds. Today, none of these miraculous creations will escape my notice. Today, I will share my excitement for life with other people. I'll make someone smile. I'll go out of my way to perform an unexpected act of kindness for someone I don't even know. Today, I'll give a sincere compliment to someone who seems down. I'll tell a child how special he is, and I'll tell someone I love just how deeply I care for them and how much they mean to me.

Today is the day I quit worrying about what I don't have and start being grateful for all the wonderful things God has already given me. I'll remember that to worry is just a waste of time because my faith in God and His Divine Plan ensures everything will be just fine.

And tonight, before I go to bed, I'll go outside and raise my eyes to the heavens. I will stand in awe at the beauty of the stars and the moon, and I will praise God for these magnificent treasures.

As the day ends and I lay my head down on my pillow, I will thank the Almighty for the best day of my life. And I will sleep the sleep of a contented child, excited with expectation because I know tomorrow is going to be the best day of my left, ever!

Casa Paloma "As the day ends and I lay my head down on my pillow, I will thank the Almighty for the best day of my life. And I will sleep the sleep of a contented child, excited with expectation because I know tomorrow is going to be the best day of my left, ever!"

That avatar picture has the look of a contented child.

:cowboy:

As an old married guy with a couple of wonderful and almost grown daughters, I have managed to meet a lot of people in my time. I think my favourite couple are the old folks that when I was younger I detested. They are in their 70's now.

This old lady had a stroke some 13 years ago and her husband called me that night in a panic. After settling him down he told me his story. It all seems like just yesterday.

Seems they were in bed - It was January and quite cold. He was sound asleep when he was awakened by the bed shaking. It seems his wife was having a stroke - right there and now.

He jumped out of bed in his underwear and at the age of 65, threw his wife over his shoulder, carried her down two flights of stairs and out to the garage. Threw her in his old pickup truck and raced the thirty odd miles to the nearest hospital.

Arriving there, they had soon taken care of his wife, and they found the old man some clothes and some slippers and socks.

She has long since recovered and today she sent me this email that had been sent to her:

Quote:

The other day a young person asked me how I felt about being old. I was taken aback, for I do not think of myself as old. Upon seeing my reaction, she was immediately embarrassed, but I explained that it was an interesting question, and I would ponder it, and let her know.

Old age, I decided, is a gift. I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometimes despair over my body­- but I don't agonize over it for long.

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to overeat, to be messy, to be extravagant. I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read until 4 am, and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50's & 60ies, and if I at the same time wish to weep over a lost love, I will. I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten ­ and I eventually remember the important things. Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turn gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver. I can say "no", and mean it. I can say "yes", and mean it. As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer the question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. For the first time in my life, I don't have to have a reason to do the things I want to do. If I want to play games on the computer all day, lay on the couch and watch old movies for hours or don't want to go to the beach or a movie, I have earned that right. I have put in my time doing everything for others, so now I can be a bit selfish without feeling guilty.

I sometimes feel sorry for the young. They face a far different world than I knew growing up, where we feared the law, respected the old, the flag, our country. I never felt the need to use filthy language in order to express myself. And they too will grow old someday.

I am grateful to have been born when I was, into a kinder, gentler world.

Yes, I like being old!

End Quote

May God Bless people like this. They make us what we are. She firmly believes it was her Guardian Angel who woke the old man in time to save her.

She is an active outdoors person who now gardens, travels and makes a serious effort to get to the farm and help her kids when it comes time for calving, branding and such.

Her husband just shakes his head - after 52 years of marriage he has learned that she will be unstoppable until she dies. She runs a tight ship and never lets a calf get away until SHE has all the numbers on paper. All the hands love having this old girl around. I might add she makes a mean apple pie!

This lady is my Mom.

Thanks for this thread - it brought many thoughts to my head tonight.

BC

casa...thanks for the inspiring post...always could use something to pick me up at the beginning of the shift! :D
Broke Cowboy...what an amazing mom you have....shows the truth of the human spirit...just when you think we are down and out, we CAN bounce!! thanks for sharing :D

Casa Paloma

Well, you started this! :)

Funny how some parents go from being a pain in the @ss to treasured beings. Pragmatically speaking, they won't be around for long. Gotta' make up for some lost time.

You may get a few more of us counting our blessings rather than moaning about how tough life is if you keep bringing these posts to us.

Today is another great day. May yours be even better.

B.C.

What an inspiration,Broke Cowboy! With all the beauty around and the many blessings we continue to receive, thankfulness is not always enough on my part. Today will be a good day as is every day-going to work some calves. I'm getting some food ready for a quick lunch or brunch-whatever works. Sure is already windy this morning. Have a great day!!

somehow, my Mom and Dad were able to instill in me an appreciation for all of god's works: sunsets and sunrises ALWAYS remind me of god's gift to me of each day. i tell the kids "there's god's hand" when he paints the sky. never another like it--i just wish i could paint or photograph them all, but the best i can do is acknowledge that it's there and i saw it, and give up a little "thank you, lord".

and those sunrises and sunsets are just the beginning; there's everything in between them--the great people i work with everyday, the miracle of birth (especially now), the end of life, just the enjoyment of everyday stuff; eating, chores, getting something accomplished, even if it's a little thing.

i wish my Mom and Dad were here to talk to in person, but they're not, so i get to have the one-sided conversation i always wished for when i was a teenager, where they couldn't talk back....

guess what MY issues are these days??!

An inspiring story Broke Cowboy. Your mom is a real treasure. Thank you for taking the time to type all that out.

Latest posts