• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The Big Horn Mountains color on didplay

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
FB_IMG_1664729359083.jpg
FB_IMG_1664729236430.jpg

There are some aspens around here. Not a lot but when you see them you know there is a spring. There are Tamaracks on the east slope of the Cascades and across the northern rim of eastern Washington.

I love those maple trees. They are in Western SD too. They are magnificent trees. We don't have them here in this part of Wyoming. I wish we did.
Big tooth maple in only in Lincoln Wyoming, it actually stops up Snake River canyon before the line into Teton County. it all over eastern Idaho and northern Utah. it was cut off from eastern sugar maple during the last ice age. We have lot of box elder maple here, understand if you tap it the syrup is mor like a sorghum taste

There are some aspens around here. Not a lot but when you see them you know there is a spring. There are Tamaracks on the east slope of the Cascades and across the northern rim of eastern Washington.
Dooley, the Elkhorns, the Eagles, and the Blues in general have a lot of tamarack. I built my cabin with it and cut 10 cords a year for the cookstove and heater firewood. All my wood fence posts and rock jacks were tamarack and also the shakes on one small barn.

Down here we have mainly Sycamores (I get more sick of them every year) Russian Olives mainly along the Umatilla River, Black Locust, and Elm trees. None of them are very pretty in the fall. Good for shade and that is about it. Sycamores are the worst for bark shedding, pollen balls, and big ugly brown leaves in the fall. They never lose all their leaves during the winter and are a constant year-round mess. Great shade trees, however.

Russian Olives, we pulled them from the wind break around the house then planted our garden where they were. lucky they are the only ones on the ranch.... they are a weed.
Yes, they brought them in here and planted them along the river banks many years ago to hold the banks. Now they are out of control and during the spring create a smell that many folks are allergic to. Whoever had this idea didn't think it out. The wood is no good for firewood or making anything with it.

Russian Olives, we pulled them from the wind break around the house then planted our garden where they were. lucky they are the only ones on the ranch.... they are a weed.
Some places it is the only thing that will grow.
In Mt the NRCS stopped having them available, then they offered them again.

Latest posts