• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The Blizzard of 2010 Morning chores Jan/ 24

Help Support Ranchers.net:

coyote

Reaction score
We are getting some good moisture from California.
[[
Blizzard002-Copy.jpg

My son's sheep.
Blizzard006.jpg

Dad keeping young and fit.
Blizzard013-Copy.jpg

Cows aren't out chewing on chaff this morning, they are hold up in the
trees in the old yard.
Blizzard017.jpg

Blizzard018-Copy.jpg

Blizzard022-Copy.jpg

Blizzard023-Copy.jpg

Roan icycles
Blizzard026.jpg

Home again.
Blizzard029-Copy.jpg

Ahhhhhhh wee lambs.

At least you can get to your cattle, we still can't see anything
here. Our whiteout is like BMR's.

But we have electricity. (I was gonna say 'power', but not sure
we have that..) :wink:

Did you drive that van to the livestock?
I like the wagon wheels on your yard fence.
Even in the snow, they look good.

Thanks for the pictures.

A few quick Pics I snapped this morning while feeding...Still snowing- and during the night the wind really picked up- blowing 35-45 mph- and supposed to keep on til midnite or so...Visibility goes from a few feet at times to a 1/4 mile.....Weather Boys say its an "official" blizzard conditions...Good thing is the temp is still around 20 Above- but they say it will plunge below 0 tonight...

I was able to get in and feed mine with little problem- but had to bust some big drifts to get into the neighbors cows..Put out enough hay to handle them tomorrow too- as I think by tonite everything will be plugged- and it will take the day to dig out....

Only got stuck once- as I was leaving the neighbors yard my glasses fogged up and with the whiteout conditions I got too far over in a drift...Luckily we had two outfits- and my son pulled me right out- but by this evening a guy won't even be able to get down the county road to the neighbors...Many of the highways in northeast Montana are Closed....

cows1-22-10001-1.jpg

cows1-22-10002.jpg

cows1-22-10003-1.jpg

its funny how pictures from a ways away can look like they were taken here at home. we are in pretty good shape right now. windy but very little snow and the power is still on :D sun is even trying to peak through, but not having much luck.

Still have juice on here. Sun peeks through every so often. No new snow today and the old snow seems to be staying put. Good thing because it it wasn't froze down it would be on the move. Cows are hunkered down with hay behind the windbreak.

Love seeing those cute new babies with their proud mama!:wink: I do miss having sheep. What I don't miss about sheep is lambing in this kind of weather. Mostly because I'd be doing exactly what your dad is doing today. :roll:

Coyote- are you near the Cypress Hills...I just saw where that area is getting sustained winds of 40+ with gusts of 50.. :shock: :shock:

Wind here just howling...Gusting to 45 on my meter..Was checking water tanks a few minutes ago- wading thru snowdrifts and came around a corner of a building- and the wind hit me- and blew me right flat on my rear...And blowing me over is a hard thing to do :wink:

We are officially snowed in now til the wind quits and the county plows the county roads- and I can fire up the loader to clear a huge drift in our road coming in to the yard...

Oldtimer said:
Coyote- are you near the Cypress Hills...I just saw where that area is getting sustained winds of 40+ with gusts of 50.. :shock: :shock:

Wind here just howling...Gusting to 45 on my meter..Was checking water tanks a few minutes ago- wading thru snowdrifts and came around a corner of a building- and the wind hit me- and blew me right flat on my rear...And blowing me over is a hard thing to do :wink:

We are officially snowed in now til the wind quits and the county plows the county roads- and I can fire up the loader to clear a huge drift in our road coming in to the yard...

He is close to Swift Current. Wide open country. :shock: :D

Faster horses said:
Aren't we lucky to have these MFWD tractors?/quote]

If it wasn't for a MFWD tractor I would still digging out from getting my calves fed. It's hard to tell what your driving into in these whiteout conditions. It's a good thing I had chains on too. One of my bunches of cows I can't get too when its like this, can't see where to drive and couldn't find them in the breaks if I did get there. Don't know if we are snowed in until we try to get the kids to school tomorrow if the wind lets up. It's gonna be snowblower time in the morning.

We are of the opinon that it's just best to let 'em be in these conditions.
They're usually holed up somewhere and you have to get them out
to feed them. Ours got a good feed yesterday (and have since December)
so they'll be fine. Now a 3-day one of these makes you nervous.

Good luck getting your kids to school tomorrow. I hope this is on
it's way out by then. However, it's as bad outside right now as it has
been since this storm started.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:

He is close to Swift Current. Wide open country. :shock: :D

I better get mom to call her family and make sure they are all OK.

I do not evny any of you right now. I just hope we are done with all of that crap for the season here. Stay warm ..

Despite the rough weather, everything looks to be going well for you :D . Your cattle look great, and so do the sheep. I hope the weather clears for you soon.

Faster horses said:
We are of the opinon that it's just best to let 'em be in these conditions.
They're usually holed up somewhere and you have to get them out
to feed them. Ours got a good feed yesterday (and have since December)
so they'll be fine. Now a 3-day one of these makes you nervous.

Good luck getting your kids to school tomorrow. I hope this is on
it's way out by then. However, it's as bad outside right now as it has
been since this storm started.

I don't worry too much about the cows in the rough country as long as the storm doesn't last more than a couple of days. I heard there are 6' drifts on the highway between Terry and Brockway so I guess we are snowed in if we could get to the highway.

Coyote, how's your feedyard and road? pushed snow for several hours to get to some feed for the next week. Moved more snow so the school bus could come tomorrow. We should get some runoff though. :D

Faster horses said:
6' drifts on the highway? :shock:

Our family lives in Buffalo, Wyoming and they have the wind
but no snow. :shock: Hard to imagine NO SNOW!!

My son just called me from Miles City...He went down today-usually travels the Brockway/Terry route but had heard the same thing about the huge drifts- and road plugged...When he left here- the highway (200) was still closed by Jordan- but it was open by the time he got there- but said it is one lane only in places- and some of the drifts were taller than his 3/4 T 4X4 pickup..

Days like that would seriously make me concider homeschoolin my kids. Ain't no way I'd put em in a school bus to go thru that...and no way would I try to drive em to school in it.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Days like that would seriously make me concider homeschoolin my kids. Ain't no way I'd put em in a school bus to go thru that...and no way would I try to drive em to school in it.

Our kids did a 100 miles a day on a school bus. In the winter they broke trail for the snow plow most mornings.

Latest posts