• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The Bulls Are Out!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
After the kids left yesterday Debbie and I started hauling bulls to cows at Morrison Meadow and the Home range. It rained the whole time and we ended up with another 1/2 inch. I'm not complaining about mud! Took some photos today.

The last 3 black 2's to go out.
P7030821.jpg

Corrals were muddy.
P7030822.jpg

MM driveway was wet.
P7030823.jpg

Hey, Hey girls, the gang's all here!
P7030824.jpg

Waltze across the buckbrush, with you in my heart.....
P7030826.jpg

Uh Oh, barfight in the making.
P7030827.jpg

Showing off their muscles.
P7030828.jpg

Wanna dance?
P7030829.jpg

It didn't last long, the younger bull gave way.
P7030831.jpg

Yearing heifers and their beaus.
P7030834.jpg

P7030835.jpg

Cows and calves.
P7030844.jpg

P7030848.jpg

P7030853.jpg

The two C-Sections were together today, maybe they know they have somthing in common? :lol:
P7030856.jpg

Bull calf I left intact.
P7030858.jpg

Val Marie, Sask. heifers.
P7030845.jpg

P7030846.jpg

P7030850.jpg

This bull will be 3 in August.
P7030849.jpg

New fence, it was built on contract at $23.50 per panel. There are 650 panels in this stretch. The young fellow who contracted will be back next spring after logging shuts down to build some more.
P7030854.jpg

Hay, I would trade cool temps and water for heat now.
P7030836.jpg

P7030837.jpg

P7030838.jpg

P7030842.jpg

Anahim Peak zoomed up.
P7030841.jpg

Your cattle look great, and the mud looks absolutely astoundingly wonderful. Thanks for the glimpse of green grass--it brings back pleasant memories of how this area used to be. :? :roll:

That bull calf looks good. Your cattle all look good, that would be quite a change for those Val Marie hfrs. Going from hard grass can be an adjustment. Your fence looks good how far does 650 panels build. Is that line fence?

GM88 said:
That bull calf looks good. Your cattle all look good, that would be quite a change for those Val Marie hfrs. Going from hard grass can be an adjustment. Your fence looks good how far does 650 panels build. Is that line fence?

The Val Marie's are cycling right with our own, we'll see at preg-test how wise the purchase was. They still must not know they can rub on the trees to rid themselves of winter hair. :lol:

About 440 panels to a mile. Expensive, yes, but the first 20 years of a good log fence is basically maintainance free and nothing goes through them. (Moose go over) It is a divider fence, we are changing a few pastures at MM and will eventually have them all to log. I really dislike fixing wire fence.

PureCountry said:
I would think in your country the wildlife would reek absolute havoc with wire fences hey?

Especially where brush has grown through the wires and they can't readily see the fence. It. seems to be a never ending job. The other handy maintainance feature is frost pushing the posts up in this peat/clay/rock soil. :roll:

Things are looking good there. Debbie has a good handle on things,
I'd say. :p

Oh, if only we could trade our heat for your moisture... :cry:
I'd trade in a minute. Things don't look so good around here,
but at least we don't have any fires at the present time. They just
put anothe one out today.

Everyone is afraid to leave for fear of fire. This is looking like a
long summer. Might kill our plans to come up there. :cry:

I really dislike fixing wire fence.
You would say I have no trees compared to your place but I dislike fixing fence through my scrub trees. The wire on my place could be displayed in a museum, gotta tie big loops so it wont break. The trees are always blowing down here and there or a moose runs through it. When I first moved here from the south I saw a big bull moose and thought how pretty he was. Just then he stepped over my fence running a hind leg in between the wires and tore down about 50 yards of fence. I guess there's a reason we don't pack guns again :lol: Wasn't trying to be nosey bout the fence , thought it looked pretty slick. Hope you get some heat for your hay

Faster horses said:
Things are looking good there. Debbie has a good handle on things,
I'd say. :p

Oh, if only we could trade our heat for your moisture... :cry:
I'd trade in a minute. Things don't look so good around here,
but at least we don't have any fires at the present time. They just
put anothe one out today.

Everyone is afraid to leave for fear of fire. This is looking like a
long summer. Might kill our plans to come up there. :cry:

Worrying about what might happen won't change what will happen. :wink:

Know where you are coming from though. What will be will be. :D

Great set of pictures in the three threads you posted! I enjoyed them! Everything looks good! I'm sending some of my heat your way :D I think I'm going to try cooking a steak on my M as I am messing around doing hay. :D...maybe get to where I have a formula for steak thickness, air temp and such for knowing how long to make my windrows to know when to flip it each time. :D

rail fence like that in this country is mush on the ground in 10 years , unless its made of tamarack .
Nice pics .

sandtrap said:
Is that fence done all by hand or is there a machine that takes the limbs off the logs ?

This fence was felled, limbed and bucked with one machine. He also used the machine to lay the top 3 logs. 1 other person to lay the blocks and 1 more to cut notches.

Lefty, if logs have the bark stripped some they will last 30 years. There are a few fences in this country that were ax cut from fire killed pine. I know of several that were built in the late 20's and are still in fairly good shape with only the top log replaced. A couple of the old timers here could average 80 to 100 fire killed logs per day, falling and bucking with an ax.

What is that green stuff the cattle are standing in? I'll gladly trade you for cool wet weather :D . Great pics, all looks good in your corner of the world.

That fence is impressive, it just fits the country better to me and I see zero maintenance on till you are long past Ranching stage, probably still be standing when you are in a nursing home with some minority worker telling you what to do when to eat when to go to bed etc.
But I guess that wont be all bad having someone take care of an ole geezer like you :D

good luck

PS If that aint Gods country, I aint ever seen it.

I'd kinda forgot what a muddy set of corral looked like and i'd pay cash money to get enough rain to make a puddle in my driveway! :D Ya must be livin' right! Cows and bulls look fat and happy. Hope haying goes well when you get some sun to dry thing up. The fence is awesome. Funny how we all do the same things different! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts