• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The cows came home.... again

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Reaction score
Just like every year at about this time, like they are on a schedule only they can read, the cows came home. Saves a lot of riding. In our case they come off of our summer pasture which stretches about 10 miles past our farmland. They showed up a little early this year. Luckily all hay has been moved and the regrowth not too bad, the hayfields should hold for a week or two more.
DSCF1222.jpg

DSCF1218.jpg

DSCF1217.jpg

DSCF1216.jpg

Silver,your cow/calves look to be in good shape,lot better than mine,this TX drought is really got things burnt and dry,I see some cooler weather coming but no rain...................good luck ps how's your house coming ?

Isn't it great to be able to take care of a piece of God's ground and some of his cattle :D :D :D

Murgen, yes we still use blonde bulls, as well as red angus and red angus / simmental.

Haymaker, hope you get some rain soon. And the house aint done but it's close enough for Mrs Silver, so we are gonna start moving in a couple of days.

Oh, and just in case some of you don't think this is an equal opportunity ranch, have a look at the last calf born....
DSCF1220.jpg

(I think the neighbours bull may have had something to do with this :wink: )

Silver,I started to post that black calf just might be the beginning of good things to come,but after looking at those calves of yours again,I dont think you oughta change a thing.................good luck PS post some pictures of that house after you get settled.

My first thought is that Silver is a guy I wouldn't mind doing brand inspections for :wink: Nice looking cows and calves......

Oldtimer said:
My first thought is that Silver is a guy I wouldn't mind doing brand inspections for :wink: Nice looking cows and calves......

Why is that, OT? Because you don't need your glasses to read the brand? :wink: :D

Silver said:
Oldtimer said:

Why is that, OT? Because you don't need your glasses to read the brand? :wink: :D

Yep- I like those big old clear rib brands-- Aren't no questions or arguing....

Me too, and untill they start paying me extra for the hide that brand will stay just like it is.

For the last quite a few years, Nebraska would not issue any new rib brands. You could still get a rib brand if you bought it from someone who currently had the brand in force. If anyone ever let a brand expire, and it was re-issued, it would only be on the shoulder or hip.

Just recently, Nebraska went back to issuing rib brands. They considered it revenue that they had not been getting, and there seemed to neither be any premiums paid for hides with only hip brands, and there were no discounts for hides that did have a rib brand.

Every once in a while, even in a bureaucracy, common sense prevails. Good deal.

Now if we could just persuade the powers that be that the horse industry needs to be able to kill and butcher old horses who have outlived their usefulness..........But that is a whole 'nother problem.

When Future Beef was operating they offered a $10 per head premium for no brand, and $5 per head for hip and shoulder brands...But they are belly up and I haven't heard of anyone else doing it.....

Soap- you are right about the horses. Since the VS outbreak they have canceled all horse sales as no horses can be shipped out of state- none can go to Canada which was the canner outlet...Today on the local Tradio radio show I heard one gal call in trying to give away 3 old horses- one had been foundered, other two were old old, but kids horses- she also had two yearlings that she wanted $50 for but would probably throw in if someone just hauled away the others......

If this horse slaughter closure goes thru, we will be hearing many more calls like that- and seeing many more starved, abused, and abandoned animals.....

Oldtimer said:
When Future Beef was operating they offered a $10 per head premium for no brand, and $5 per head for hip and shoulder brands...But they are belly up and I haven't heard of anyone else doing it.....

Soap- you are right about the horses. Since the VS outbreak they have canceled all horse sales as no horses can be shipped out of state- none can go to Canada which was the canner outlet...Today on the local Tradio radio show I heard one gal call in trying to give away 3 old horses- one had been foundered, other two were old old, but kids horses- she also had two yearlings that she wanted $50 for but would probably throw in if someone just hauled away the others......

If this horse slaughter closure goes thru, we will be hearing many more calls like that- and seeing many more starved, abused, and abandoned animals.....

Oldtimer, Billings Live is having their Oct. horse sale. I sent some horses out of state last week with no restrictions as I don't live 10 miles from a hot case.

I know about the VS quarentine but I was dealing with a fellow that was sending horses to Chicago. Ma be some of the Albertans know Scott Irvine and his Rep. I sold some but they went to Fort McLeod. Irvine told me I got beat but the other guy got here first and I know him so that helps.

rancher said:
Oldtimer said:

Oldtimer, Billings Live is having their Oct. horse sale. I sent some horses out of state last week with no restrictions as I don't live 10 miles from a hot case.

I wonder what the canner prices will be? I see Glasgow still is pending on whether they will have their Oct 20 horse sale....

I was talking to the Vet from Circle a couple weeks ago and I thought that the whole state was under quarentine. A horse had to be quarentined in a VS free state for 21 days before it could move on.
I got $.45 for a 1200lb gelding and $.27 for lighter mares.

Latest posts