• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PPRM

Reaction score
Spent the day cleaning out feeder area. I stack in a bunch of blue grass straw and put feeder panels around. Cows will get Free choice Blue grass Straw and then alfalfa supplement. I just break strings on one tone bales and fill feeders once a week...Works well...

Something about driving a tractor, cleaning an area, in and out, back and forth, it is wearing. Kinda like riding all day if you haven't for awhile...

MRS PPRM helped move panels by hooking chains from bucket....She did great, but doesn't realize the foreman is the one on the tractor, not the one on the ground, LOL,

PPRM

Next time you need to do the clean up rent a skid steer ( if you have never run one try to find a Gehl as they are the easiest to pick up on. I have both BobCat and Gehl. If I put a rookie on the bobCat it is the funniest thing you ever saw. On the Gehl ( no foot controls) I can put a newby on and they look like a pro in about 5 minutes.

I did a lot of cleanup with tractors and loaders for years and it was work. Now I kind of look forward to it ( to a point)

With the quick tach this morning I used the pallet forks to move a skid of Mineral, changed to a bale spear and fed a round bale, put the general purpose bucket on and spread a little sand around the water fountain ( we had about 1/4 inch of ice over night). Then came in to get ready for Church but it was canceled due to the ice.

I do not even need to get off the machine to change attachments. Also have a manure bucket and post hole digger for them as well. Most of the attachments I have built myself and I keep finding more handy uses all the time.

If you rent one you might even be like me and decide they really make life easier.

Just don't get one to small. I feel for cattle work you need one with at least a 2000# lift capacity to be able to handle round bales and large buckets ( I can fill my side discharge spreader in 5 or 6 buckets.

PPRM, if you do manage to try out a bobcat, you'll wonder to yourself how you ever lived without one! Especially when it comes to cleaning corrals. They take out a whole lot less dirt than a tractor with a bucket on it, and the maneuverabilty is second to none. You can pretty much spin it on a dime.

I've run bobcat, JD, New Holland, Gehl, Mustang, Thomas and JCB skid steers, and even though we try to avoid the 'Heavy Metal Syndrome' for equipment, I really wish I had one of them darn things some days. Like you said Goerge, it makes so many things simple and quick. Personally, if I was to spend the money on one, I'd get one with tracks, rubber or steel, just b/c it takes that bounce and hop out of em when you're really givin' 'er. Saves your back a whole lot a wear.

I rented a bobcat two years ago, although nice, the ones at the rental places are to small, large case tractor/loader went better. It was just a size issue, be nice to have both around tho,

PPRM

Latest posts