• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The Derby

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Watched the Kentucky Derby as is our family tradition. Mine that bird won as a 50-1 long shot. Neat story, $9500 purchase price, 1st time trainer, hauled the horse from New Mexico in his trailer, muddy track and dead last at 1st third pole. The Derby has lots of money folks and people who don't know much about anything but hats but its fun to watch! I was rooting for Musket man who finished third. Anybody else watch?

Yep- probably one of the most impressive runs from behind the pack- thru almost the whole field on the rail- and left them all looking like they were standing still on the straightaway....

Smallest horse in the race...

$5 Superfecta paid $557,000.... :shock:

I always bet the long shot...and since he was Canadian it was even better :wink: I just wish I would have actually bet :cry: Fun to watch for sure!!!

That was one of the best races ever!

As I watched it I couldn't help being reminded of Northern Dancer. Northern Dancer was one of the greatest race horses to come out of this country, and is in the pedigree of a lot of good ones racing today. He was the ultimate come from behind horse, and small to boot. When he was in the Derby, he didn't get any respect either until it was over and he'd blown all their doors off. :D :D :D Being a Canadian bred horse, I wonder how much Dancer is in This guy?

I watched it, the Maine Morgan Horse club (my wife is on the board) had a party at Cabot Morgans, that's about 15 min away. First time I've watched it. Amazing victory and awesome story behind it.

Did anyone notice the trumpter guy before the race? I didn't see his fingers moving. I'm wondering if they use an insert like the military uses at funderals. It's a little player with a speaker that fits into the end of the trumpet/bugle so it appears they're playing but it's really a recording.

I didn't see the race live, but did the see the YouTube bit. Very impressive win. Does anyone know what those owners pay for an entry fee for the derby? I'm guessing it is fairly steep

thanks for the article Jersey Lilly. 50,000 if you nominate early, to be honest I would have guessed it to be more than that.

That race was the best I have seen in years. The jockey was so excited it made it even better. My one complaint-- the trainer (the guy on crutches) seemed like a total jerk, what's up with him?

Curly said:
That race was the best I have seen in years. The jockey was so excited it made it even better. My one complaint-- the trainer (the guy on crutches) seemed like a total jerk, what's up with him?

I guess I didn't get the impression he was a "jerk". To me he seemed like an average cowboy that maybe doesn't make it to the big city very often and has maybe never been the in front of a tv camera and the center of attention before, or at least not on the same scale as the Kentucky Derby. If that had been me, maybe I wouldn't have know exactly what to say or how to say it :???:

Maybe he was frustrated because he couldn't jump up and down on a broken leg. :wink: :D :D :D He seemed to me to be in quite a bit of pain.

The jockey was so cool. You couldn't help but laugh along with him, he was so excited. He more than made up for the trainer's attitude.

And yes, I found out the horse has Northern Dancer on both sides of his pedigree. As a little kid, the first horse race I remember watching on TV was Northern Dancer winning the Derby, and it has stuck with me all this time.

Kato said:
The jockey was so cool. You couldn't help but laugh along with him, he was so excited. He more than made up for the trainer's attitude.

I agree, i had to rewind it and watch him again. I was glad the owners paid him so much respect for the way he raced the race. Very cool!

Latest posts