• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The Faraway Horses- Faster Horses

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

I think it was you Faster Horses that said how well you liked Buck Brannaman's book "The Faraway Horses". Well I bought it, and finished reading it, and you were darn sure right about it. It is a very inspirational book, and he is sure a driven individual. After all he was through, and still to be able to have a positive outlook, is great.

Someday I might try to take in one of his horse clinics, or my other favorite trainer, Byran Neubert. I have heard him speak, and he is outstanding. Joe Wolters is also an easy trainer to listen to. The only clinic I have taken a horse to is one put on by Buster McClaury, and I would reccomend him to anyone. The things these guys all have have in common, is time spent around Ray Hunt and the Dorrance's, and they all have worked on working ranches too.

Thanks for the reccomendation FH, it was a great read.

http://www.brannaman.com/index.htm
http://www.bryanneubert.com/

I am so glad you liked it, Jake. It was full of meaning for me.

I bought the other one Buck has out, called 'Believe' but it isn't near as good as Faraway Horses. I wouldn't bother buying it, if I were you.

Yes, I admire many of the true horsemen that are out there. I think they are trying to make horses safer for people to own. I also believe that there are many people who want to own horses, but don't want to ride them, or don't have a place to ride and the ground work taught at these clinics give those people something to do with a horse.

Our shoer here is from Oklahoma. Very soft-spoken very modest individual and a hell of a hand. He has gone to Bryan Neubert clinics that are held every other year at Wibaux and he has nothing but great things to say about Bryan. I personally know Curt Pate and he is a magnificient young man. Ray Hunt has the horse thing down so well, and has brought this type of training to the forefront, but before he passed away, Tom Dorrence, (the MASTER) said that Ray still raised "too much dust." I am not downgrading Ray Hunt, I just think Tom Dorrence's comment was humorous. Tom Dorrence wanted "NO DUST." Pat Parelli is the most entertaining of all, to my way of thinking. But he has gotten very commercialized, thanks in part to marrying a woman that was the marketing manager of a cosmetic company. There are many great ones and now they have been brought into our livingroom daily through RFD-TV.

BTW, Pat Parelli's "Raise your hand if you love horses" is a good book. I would recommend it. There is a lot of insight in that book and ole' Pat hasn't always been famous. Interesting that he came from a family who didn't own horses.

FH, I have raised more than my share of dust, and done a few things I wasn't proud of after the fact, but I try to learn to get better all the time. I was raised to get my horse saddled up and get going in a hurry or I got left behind. We didn't work stock too hard then, but just had lots of other jobs staring us in the face that needed doing.

I think the whole crux of this new kind of horsemanship is time. Time is the most important part of all of it. You still have to get things done, but not forcing things on a horse (or cow) actually speeds things up. Like I said, I have been guilty of all these sins myself, but maybe I can help the next generation be a little better about things if I can get it across somehow. :wink:

I would like to know if Bryan Neubert is coming to this area again sometime, if you know about it.

I sure would be happy to let you know. I will do some inquiring, but it seems like something may have happened that he isn't coming...but I will find out. They said he would stay up all night if necessary, working the horses, answering questions. A heck of a fine fellow. Some of the clinicians get a little testy at times...but they say not Bryan.

We all have raised too much dust. Anyone that says he hasn't is speaking with a forked tongue. I liked what you said about teaching the generation coming up to be a little better. That's what it takes. Realizing and caring enough to do something about it.

My husband never wears a watch. Sure makes it tough on me sometimes, but the cows and horses just love it. Animals can't tell time, ya know!

Bryan Neubert offers great clinics - a gifted man, as are his children and wife. I have taken 4 of his clinics and fence-sat through one. In our area he is highly recommended by everyone that has been to his clinics. I've ordered his DVD, "The First Week" (an early Christmas present; "To Me, From Me !!! :D ) The Dorrance books are great reads also.

montana cowgurl said:
do u guys like pat parelli or clinton anderson???

montana cowgurl-- My daughter has attended a couple of Parelli clinics thru 4-H and really liked them... He really helped her develop more patience when working a horse and several little tricks that seem to work well.....

From watching all these guys I think they all pretty much stress patience, repetition, and putting in an adequate amount of time on each phase....No instant horse recipes.......

Latest posts