• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The Final Hat - Wisdom from Soapweed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
I have been on the fence for several months about buying a custom-made 100X beaver hat styled and creased in my family's tradition. I can't really justify such a purchase just for walking around hayfields and irrigation ditch roads. It will shed water better than ducks back and is of a weight that makes it all season. I remember Steve writing about an old cowboy that was also a fence straddler because of a good hat being expensive. Steve's recent passing has got me thinking that maybe a new USA custom hat and USA custom lace-up 2" heeled boots might be in order.

AN OLD COWBOY'S LAMENT
By Steve Moreland, July 19, 2019

A few months ago I was sitting at the sale barn with an old friend, who has been a cowboy and rancher all his life. In our conversation, he lamented that he needed a new hat, but hesitated in buying one because they were so expensive. I told him he was looking at it all wrong. I explained that he can't take any money with him on the final ride and that he couldn't hook a U-Haul to the hearse. There would also not be any stock trailers following behind, with favorite critters along. Then I said, "But you can take along a hat. They can lay it on top of your chest in the coffin, and it can go with you on the final ride. Go ahead, buy yourself a new hat."

I saw this gentleman just yesterday at the sale barn. He said he had bought a new hat, and it cost more than what he had paid in the past for a good horse. At least now he can go out in style!

Here is what I have in mind. $1300 isn't that bad for both since they are handmade in the USA. I hope they include Steve's hat and boots on his final ride.
NaturalAngleFedora_600x.png
1372439275.jpg

That is not too bad, my boots cost just under $1000 due to the width. Have to be made special. Either that or surgery. Boots are better.

Latest posts