• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The geese are heading your way

Help Support Ranchers.net:

efb

Reaction score
I saw the first flock of geese head'n north this morning. I guess they are as confused about the weather as I am. Or, :???: wonder if they know something we don't. It's seemed like March for two weeks here. Strong south wind and temps in the 70's.

efb said:
It's seemed like March for two weeks here.

Same here- altho it was in the 40's not the 70's- definitely not usual weather for what is normally our two coldest weeks of the year (-20 to -40 last year)....If those geese get this far north they may have trouble finding open water-altho the Lake is not all frozen over yet, to the dismay of the ice fishermen...

Friend of mine claims he saw a robin last week- dogs are shedding their winter hair-- then this morning about sunrise the coyotes were singing like they do in the spring...

Wierd weather, but sure easy on haystacks and cows......

I saw a bunch of geese just this morning, but I don't think they ever went south for the winter. I forgot to take any pictures of them, with my mind more on cattle. :wink: There is usually some open water to be had, and LaCreek Wildlife Refuge is just to the north of us. We have several lakes and ponds in the area.

Hey, Soapweed, that brings me to a question I have been gonna ask you.

Have you ever heard of a monster in Lake McConahay? Don't think I spelled that any where close to right, so I will go look it up. It might not be anywhere close to you either.

Guess I better go look first. Might be a dumb question to ask you.

Well, of course it's a dumb question, period. :???:

Oldtimer said:
altho the Lake is not all frozen over yet, to the dismay of the ice fishermen...

:lol: Ours are really dismayed. A cold November saw all the shacks moved out onto the ice. Warm Dec weather, and there is open water at the shores with no way to get the shacks back to dry land. :lol:

Rod

There's still a goose holed up on a stubble field here-he can only fly about 6 feet off the ground.Took a picture of him on New year's Day.

Faster horses said:
Hey, Soapweed, that brings me to a question I have been gonna ask you.

Have you ever heard of a monster in Lake McConahay? Don't think I spelled that any where close to right, so I will go look it up. It might not be anywhere close to you either.

Guess I better go look first. Might be a dumb question to ask you.

Well, of course it's a dumb question, period. :???:

The only "monster" I'm aware of at Lake McConaughey is the monster beach. With the low water level, the beach extends a very long way out into the Lake. The last I knew, the west end of the Lake was about eight miles of sandy beach.

Lake McConaughey is at least 120 miles south of us. I'll have to ask my sister about the possibility of a monster lurking in the Lake. She lives north of Oshkosh, by gosh, and might know.

Quite a few years ago there was a "monster" that was often seen on Smith Lake, south of Rushville. It turned out to be the work of pranksters. They had fun until they were caught. :? :wink: :)

Raining here this morning :? :shock: Temp is 36 above- Last year on this date the high for the day was 19 Below.......

What a mess we have today-- Freezing rain this morning- temp is now up to 37 degrees but that rain on the snow and ice has made it almost impossible to even walk in the corral without hanging on to the fenceposts and windbreak- had to hang on to the side of the truck while feeding to get back and cut strings....We planned to sort and pour some cows today- but I think it would be more of a hazard to man and beast than it would be beneficial--Horses could hardly keep their footing when I corraled them (I don't have any of them hardshod).....

This is Washington weather- not Montana...

Latest posts