• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The Great Elk Ambush 2020

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
The great elk ambush 3.0 was a success today. Over 100 elk to choose from. I shot a yearling cow. We will be eating good in the neighborhood this winter. And my hunting partner neighbors made what can be a tough job a breeze. I did get a close up look at the herd bull. Oh to have had a bull tag. He is a big high and wide 7x7. People pay thousands of dollars to hunt for elk like him. He was standing broadside at about 60 yards for 20 seconds or so deciding if he wanted to jump the fence. One of those sights to be locked in the memory bank for life.

Attachments

• PA262202.JPG
    PA262202.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 69
  • PA262204.JPG
    PA262204.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 69
Problem is the bigger the horns the worse the meat. Yearling was best choice! No calf orphaned.Congratulations!

If any of you ever get a chance.Take a kid out hunting. Even if its not your kid. Girl or boy,doesn't matter.I'm betting when you see them enjoy the hunt it will be the most rewarding hunt you ever had. I didn't figure this out until I was stove up enough that I didn't have a lot of hunts left in me.

Did you use the baler?
Sadly there was no baler available. They have all been put away in the barns for the winter. I had to resort to hiding behind some sage brush. There are two pivots down in the valley about a mile below where we lay the ambush. One of alfalfa and one with a new seeding of alfalfa that has a bunch of volunteer barley. The elk feed in there at night. They have their choice of half a dozen big draws to go up when they leave to head up the hill. We get up on top of a knob and spot which draw they are coming up. Then hustle over to head them off.

Latest posts