• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The Great White Cowboy

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
Well the Great White Cowboy has been at work this week. These old girls weren't slowly wandering down the road. They are picking them up and laying them down. They know where the hay stack is and they are making tracks to get to it.

PC033063.JPG

Last edited:
When we ran strs to 2yr olds some weren't too anxious to come on the day of the gather.
My dad would go up with some pellets and feed them a bit every couple days until they walked out of the hills like some old milk cows.

The great white cowboy showed up here last night. 6-8 inches fell. Made me solar fence charger stop working and the cows got out of the hayfield. Spent two hours fixing fence and making sure it had good juice. Hope those Ol sister got the heck shocked out of them today.

We are supposed to get hammered tonight and tomorrow. It is amazing what a difference a short distance can make. I ran over to La Grande today. The wind was howling over there. Actually from the Baker rest stop to La Grande. The top of Ladd it was both hands on the wheel to stay on the road. I stopped at the La Grande rest stop and walking back to the pickup the wind hit me a staggered me a couple of times. Here at the house it is calm.

We might have a GIANT white cowboy coming next week. They are saying, lots of snow...not in one big dump but all week long starting on Monday!
Ours is supposed to start in about 4 or 5 hours and goes pretty steady until Sunday morning. The weather radar this morning had it just barely to the coast at Astoria. Now the radar shows the leading edge in central Oregon and the back still hasn't cleared the coast.

Great White Cowboy is supposed to appear starting Monday. There goes my weekly card game. 🤣
We could get 9" over 3 days. I saw Whitewood SD is at 22" and SE Montana up to 16" and 40 mph wind gusts. They still have 7" of 'fluffy stuff' on the ground from 3 days ago that hasn't blown around yet, but it's about to.

This is a big far-reaching storm, from Canada to OK. Doesn't look like west of the divide will get much. They've had snow on the ground since Oct.

Looks like the Old Farmer's Almanac is going to be right. I usually don't pay much attention to it.

I have 3 bulls still in the hills. They were out with some hfrs we saw every other day until we brought the hfs in,
I was pretty sure I saw them with the glasses yesterday but there was a cow closer I wanted in so brought her in and left the bulls for today. Well they weren't where they were yesterday, and I couldn't find hide nor hair of them. I did see 4 moose,3 porcupine through the scope of my 223. oodles of deer 3 of which I chased out of the yard when I got back.
Oh well Sunday is a better day for looking for strays, or so it seems as I have done it enough.

The Great White cowboy finished up for me. I looked out the front window and there was two black calves standing in the front field. Turned out there was one calf belonging to one neighbor and a pair that belong to another. Got them in the coral and made a phone call. The first guy here told me that my one cow who was still out is in with B's fall pairs. He said one of the neighbors must have pushed a pair of his and the one of mine into that field. Well B actually owns half interest in that cow so she can stay with his fall pairs until someone gets the time and desire to sort her and her calf out of there.

Latest posts