• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The ground ain't froze yet

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Denny

Reaction score
I was doing a little logging going to saw out some lumber for a new corral guess I better wait for colder weather.

100_0248.jpg

100_0247.jpg

100_0246.jpg

We got this pulled out after some work the ground was so soft you could chain a log to the tire and it would pull it through the mud and never move the tractor.

I guess I will have to wait till January to resume logging...

Denny, you realize you just gave Haymaker an excuse to razz you about them tractors, don't you? :wink:

Wish it was that muddy around here right now! :cry:

How did you get it out? :???:

Jinglebob said:
Denny, you realize you just gave Haymaker an excuse to razz you about them tractors, don't you? :wink:

I know Haymaker's Tractor would have never got stuck in there It's to fancy would'nt want to scratch it.

If you look in the one picture I have my 4wd tractor but it would'nt budge it so we ran the chain's around an elm tree to get a straighter pull then pulled in a different direction to get a block and tackle affect.I got stuck yeasterday and spent all afternoon teying to get it out. Today I drove my big tractor home from the farm and gave her the pull but it was froze in a bit today....Okay Haymaker give me Hell......

I've been stuck bad like that a few times. Another way of getting out is to chain a big post to each hind tire on the tractor and get yourself out three feet at a time. One thing to watch, though, is to not chain anywhere near the valve stem. Break that little hooter off, and your big troubles instantly loom immensely larger, with the added confugalties of a flat tire.

I don't envy you that task Denny. By the way, what kind of trees are those?

Soapweed said:
I've been stuck bad like that a few times. Another way of getting out is to chain a big post to each hind tire on the tractor and get yourself out three feet at a time. One thing to watch, though, is to not chain anywhere near the valve stem. Break that little hooter off, and your big troubles instantly loom immensely larger, with the added confugalties of a flat tire.

I tried that first the ground was so soft that it would just roll the post right down through the muck there is really no bottom in this area..Our water table is very high here and we have alot of springs.

My Dad taught us that post and chain trick when I was a kid it has worked every time except this one.

H-m-m-m-m-m-m ---here is another interesting story similar to your dilema, Denny. At least it is interesting to me.

My Dad was a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Tank Corps during World War I. Yes, that is WW I. His Commanding Officer was MAJOR George Patten! Patten wanted Dad to stay in the Army after the War in France and help him build up the Tank Corps. If you people remember the old movies, the WW I Tanks were the kind that had the treads move over the entire outside of the tank itself. Remember? Anyway, they used to chop down trees and chain them across BOTH tracks of the tank at right angles to the tank, and then "boot-strap' the tanks out of and across the trenches and mud holes and ditches. Rough ride!! Good ol' days, huh?? Dad told Patten that he wanted to come back to the US and raise a family (ME) so he politely declined Patten's offer. Maybe that is why I am a little rough around the edges sometimes. I wasn't pampered much as a kid growing up - thank GOD for that!

DOC HARRIS

When we lived south of Valentine, Ne, and we were haying on the refuge. I t got mighty soft in a few places because of the swamps and springs there. Hubby would get a tractor like that stuck and call me on the radio and off I'd go with the John Deere 3010.(I was the cab. lol) and we would pull in out, like a cork out of a bottle, (on a slooow day). LOL

Silver said:
I don't envy you that task Denny. By the way, what kind of trees are those?

The tree's are white and green Ash..I am going to try and trade the local mills for some white oak lumber but if not will saw these for corral plank's.

Growing up across the road from a Naval training field, we were used to seeing the planes doing touch-and-goes to teach the pilots how to land on aircraft carriers. But there were wet places on that field, as well, and in one instance a plane with a trainee and seasoned pilot had to put down and skidded off into one of these wet places. We kids often rode our horses out there, and the guys teasingly asked if we would like to trade. About that time, my dad showed up on the tractor. The pilot stood up on a wing for a better view and said tht by gaw, that was a John Deere 3020 and they were going somewhere now :!: He was right, it pulled the plane to dry ground and they had a repair crew out PDQ. Wonder how fast they would shoot at you for something like that now?

Denny said:
Jinglebob said:

I know Haymaker's Tractor would have never got stuck in there It's to fancy would'nt want to scratch it.

If you look in the one picture I have my 4wd tractor but it would'nt budge it so we ran the chain's around an elm tree to get a straighter pull then pulled in a different direction to get a block and tackle affect.I got stuck yeasterday and spent all afternoon teying to get it out. Today I drove my big tractor home from the farm and gave her the pull but it was froze in a bit today....Okay Haymaker give me Hell......

Denny,dont you know better than drive a tractor into a swamp?especially a lil orange roooskie tractor,they dont have the power to pull through that deep mud/water,better trade it off before you get in trouble with that thang..................good luck

Hey Denny,
How long did it take you to get used to that funky gear shift in that Belarus?
Does yours have it so in order to get in high or low you have to bump it in neutral and turn the knob a certain way push it almost to the floof then back to neutral and into the gear you want? Hard to do on the fly and not loose momentum.

Does yours have the kill switch in the back of the cab on the right side?

What number tractor is that?

HAY MAKER said:
Denny said:
Jinglebob said:

Denny,dont you know better than drive a tractor into a swamp?especially a lil orange roooskie tractor,they dont have the power to pull through that deep mud/water,better trade it off before you get in trouble with that thang..................good luck

Those Blue tractors would just sink to the bottom. And stay there. Right where they belong. :cowboy:

cert said:
Hey Denny,
How long did it take you to get used to that funky gear shift in that Belarus?
Does yours have it so in order to get in high or low you have to bump it in neutral and turn the knob a certain way push it almost to the floof then back to neutral and into the gear you want? Hard to do on the fly and not loose momentum.

Does yours have the kill switch in the back of the cab on the right side?

What number tractor is that?

This tractor is a 562 it has the dial shift it seem's to work fine my other one is a 825 it had the regular shifter I called it a slop shifter it kept breaking the little fork in the bottom I switched it to the dial shift this fall and solved the problem.Both have the Battery cutout switches in the right rear corner.

Kind of funny the first tractor I bought was the 825 the dealer loaded it and showed me how to use the shifter.When I got home It took quite a while to figure out how to start it sat up on the trailer for a bit trying to figure it out.The second one I bought at an auction the owner's showed me how it worked so it was easier.

Denny.......do you realize that if you would have got FWA you could have got several feet further in and been really stuck :!: :wink: :twisted:

cowsense said:
Denny.......do you realize that if you would have got FWA you could have got several feet further in and been really stuck :!: :wink: :twisted:

It has FWA :mad:

Hey Denny, my hubby and I was talking today and I told him that maybe you shouldn't play with the little (toy) tractors when the ground is that wet :!: :!: :roll: :wink: :p :clap: :gag: :cowboy:

Latest posts