• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The last cow came home,

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
in a trailer. :D
Last night Dad and I stopped in town for groceries and the mail. A neighbor that lives close to our north end caught me on the street and asked if we were missing a cow? :shock: I'm always missing a cow. :D Anyways this cow has been hanging out on some farm land and nobody seemed to claim her. I had moved the cows that she was with over a month ago and hadn't been back that way since. Anyway Dad and I ran up there this afternoon with a truck and the other truck and trailer and horse. The game warden stopped to visit just as we were getting onto the hiway on our way up so he came along . Well we found the cow and her calf which I think is the best calf I have ever raised. She weighs about 1350 and the calf is pushing 800lbs. :D :shock: Guess grazing lentil regrowth on the neighbors for a month helps. Well I trailed them down the road about 3 miles and got them into a little catch at another neighbors yard.The sheep, turkeys and 5 dogs didn't help but she was a quiet cow.
I'm slowly getting ready for shhh winter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you sure she's yours? I'm still missing a black pair. :p

Amongst others, found lots of wolf tracks today but no cows. The pilot I fly with was over part of our range today and phoned tonight that he had seen a few cattle. They are not far from the road but in a real ugly place to get them. Tommorow's project.

Well I like that story! Nice to have a good, surprise ending to the season. So will the cash from an extra calf buy Tam a ticket to the Bahama's for the winter?

I have a cow that I can't get to leave home. We weaned on Thursday and chased the mommas to the back of the farm, as usual. But one old girl jumps every fence and gate to get back to the barn where her baby and the rest of calves are all bawling their heads off. So she will contentedly reside on the opposite side of the gate from her calf until she gets over it I guess. I don't like bent gates . . . :x

My neighbor & I borderd fence for 3 miles he ran 300 pair . One fall we were trailing my cows home to work their calves Vb was turning them in the gate when I got there he asked me how long I had had the double f brand cow ? he picked her right out of the bunch . The owner of the cow was there that day & made a big deal out of me stealing his cow . So we loaded the pair up & he took them home .
The next spring the day before that same cow calved , she crawled the fence at beaver creek & came 3miles back to my calving pasture to have her calf . Cows arnt dumb , not all of them anyway ......

I am not sure if I will ever think like a cow. It looks like alot of work to me to break through a gate or splinter the top rails on a fence.

Big Muddy rancher said:
in a trailer. :D
Last night Dad and I stopped in town for groceries and the mail. A neighbor that lives close to our north end caught me on the street and asked if we were missing a cow? :shock: I'm always missing a cow. :D Anyways this cow has been hanging out on some farm land and nobody seemed to claim her. I had moved the cows that she was with over a month ago and hadn't been back that way since. Anyway Dad and I ran up there this afternoon with a truck and the other truck and trailer and horse. The game warden stopped to visit just as we were getting onto the hiway on our way up so he came along . Well we found the cow and her calf which I think is the best calf I have ever raised. She weighs about 1350 and the calf is pushing 800lbs. :D :shock: Guess grazing lentil regrowth on the neighbors for a month helps. Well I trailed them down the road about 3 miles and got them into a little catch at another neighbors yard.The sheep, turkeys and 5 dogs didn't help but she was a quiet cow.
I'm slowly getting ready for shhh winter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Consider yourself lucky ole dad did'nt box your big ears for missing her when you gathered. :D
good luck

the rest of our cows come home on Monday. Brandi always tells me as we ride off in different directions, "we want them all!" :? she thinks i cheat sometimes when checking the corners :???: :D

Faster horses said:
Justin said:
the rest of our cows come home on Monday. Brandi always tells me as we ride off in different directions, "we want them all!" :? she thinks i cheat sometimes when checking the corners :???: :D

So do you?
No fudging now, just answer yes or no. :D :cboy:

ok, i did once :oops:. and she refuses to let it go. :(

:D

Probably bring ours to the river bottom place next weekend...Still have lots of grass on the north place- but they keep threatening to give us snow storms about mid month...
And there is a bred cow sale on the 8th- I'd like to haul in a couple of cull bulls and fill the trailer with some older cows I want to get rid of....

Latest posts