• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The life and times of a slacker.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Had a little time on my hands lately. :wink: But i still have been packing my camera. Last week we had a church activity with our wives. I got volunteered to be the cook. We met at a neighbor's place at a little park they have. The local wildlife don't look too wild! :D
DSCF0014-17.jpg

Supper was dutch oven style. Nothing like standing over a firepit in July! :roll: What I won't do for my friends! :D
DSCF0015-16.jpg

The park has a small pond with a nice veiw of the new pivot irrigation system. Sure is simple to irrigate 160 acres if ya spend some money! :wink: We had supper and then played volleyball in the park. Too busy spiking and blocking to take pictures! :wink:
DSCF0017-12.jpg

Then i went checking on my cows. This is a bull i thought i'd raise and see what I got. Kinda needs to be a steer. :???: The bull behind him is much better looking> :D
DSCF0019-9.jpg

Oniquai mountains and my pasture. Turned over 15 acres last fall but wasn't able to follow through on plan to improve the ground. Grew some pretty nice bindweed!
DSCF0022-12.jpg

A nice small framed cow I like and her heifer calf.
DSCF0021-9.jpg

My lone red angus cow chomping bindweed. Looks like she's summerin' fine!
DSCF0024-14.jpg

Her calf who was born the end of April. Not to nervous about me or my shadow.
DSCF0025-11.jpg

My only steer calf out'a 6 head. I know, I know I gotta quit bragging on my bunch, but their all mine. :D Hope to keep a couple heifer calves and buy a couple registered heifers if were able. This calf's cow raises soggy calves. :D
DSCF0027-16.jpg

They got crested wheat, bunch grass and brome up to their bellies but they'd rather eat morning glory! :shock:
DSCF0028-14.jpg

I spent today hauling hay for a neighbor with his balewagon. Was a cloudy 98 degree day. Looking up the valley to the south from down in the hayfield.
DSCF0031-13.jpg

Can ya see the pup coyote?
DSCF0032-10.jpg

Then I accidentally mentioned I happened to know BMR and poof! He was changing area codes! :D
DSCF0034-7.jpg

Had to move some bales away from the wheel line so i snapped a picture of my ride. Hauling oat hay today.
DSCF0035-9.jpg

From the other side with the metropolis of Vernon in the background.
DSCF0036-10.jpg

I hauled the hay out to a place west of town. I have hauled all thier hay this year. Something like 3500 bales but who's counting. The stackyard on the Lazy H Ranch. See why I'm called Leanin' H? Lazy H was already taken! :p
DSCF0037-8.jpg

Got it stacked and ready for another load. I can haul 99 bales a trip.
DSCF0038-5.jpg

The most troublesome stack of hay in the yard. All of it is Tall wheat grass. They get one cut a year thankfully! :D Hauled 900 bales of baled sticks. It is actually decent filler feed but doesn't bale worth a dang and hauls worse. I was moving at the speed of a deceased turtle on each trip. Got it stacked alright.
DSCF0039-5.jpg

Had 61 bales left in the field for a short load. Here's another wild critter. A red-tailed hawk sitting on a post.
DSCF0041-6.jpg

A tad bit closed via the zoom. :wink:
DSCF0043-8.jpg

Like the coyote, the hawk decided i was too close for comfort. And I even took a shower this mornin'! :???: Glad my neighbors still use small bales as It gives a certain slacker something to do! :wink: Hope ya'll are having good weather to put up your hay.
DSCF0046-7.jpg

I enjoyed your pics, you are getting just about as good as soapweed. Throw a bale on the cab roof to get an even 100 :wink:

H, it makes more sense to own 6 head, and pocket the check than to run 100 head and carry the check from the sale barn to the bank and let banker pocket it! You are going about it the right way.

nd said:
Throw a bale on the cab roof to get an even 100 :wink:

This was precisely what I was thinking. :wink: Nice pictures, Leanin'H. Wish you lived closer, I'd hire you to haul our bales. We can only haul six at a time. I admire your ambition and outlook on Life. Keep clickin' that camera. :)

Did you mean life and times of a "stacker" instead of slacker? Doesn't look like my idea of slacking :wink:. Sure is pretty country out there! Thanks for the photos Leanin' H.

After reading about his college major I think it is life and times of a smacker. :roll: Only a few of those outfits left in this country, one is a supplier to the acreage folk and one supplies the Stampede and riding arena folks and when the market is good compresses it to go to Japan.

nice pics H! do you have any antelope in that part of the courty? they'll eat the hell out of that bindweed. set ya a blind up and you got your own food plot :D if you don't have any praire goats, i'll send some home with ya when you pick up your rained on hay. better hurry, or i'll give it to someone else :wink:

Shortgrass wrote:
H, it makes more sense to own 6 head, and pocket the check than to run 100 head and carry the check from the sale barn to the bank and let banker pocket it! You are going about it the right way.

Hmmm That sure isn't what the Fed government thinks......... :roll: :oops:

Hey Leaning H do you have to cover those stacks?

Keep snapping pictures you have a great view.... 8)

Justin said:
nice pics H! do you have any antelope in that part of the courty? they'll eat the hell out of that bindweed. set ya a blind up and you got your own food plot :D if you don't have any praire goats, i'll send some home with ya when you pick up your rained on hay. better hurry, or i'll give it to someone else :wink:

Justin we have our share of Speed goats around. But they range out away from where i run my cows. If you'll send me 100 ton of rained on hay i'd be happier than a gopher in soft dirt! Try UPS or FED-EX and see what they tell ya! :lol:

As for the stull, I agree! I have a great neighbor who wanted me to try raising one of his calves for a bull. Out of a nice commercial cow and a registered bull. He was a yearling on the 10th of May but sure isn't growing into much. He gets a ride to town this fall! :wink: Watch for him in a baloney sandwich near you someday! :D

Stretch said:
Shortgrass wrote:

Hmmm That sure isn't what the Fed government thinks......... :roll: :oops:

Hey Leaning H do you have to cover those stacks?

Keep snapping pictures you have a great view.... 8)

Thanks for the kind words on my photographery habit! :wink: They won't cover the feeder hay but do cover any hay they plan to sell to the horse folks in the big city.

Sure wish ya'd send some of those little bales down here..a few of them would come in handy..no one around here puts up that kind of bale anymore...at this point in time..we may be needing it...still haven't dropped a mowerbar yet..still water standing in our low meadows...lol Thanks for the tour..sure enjoyed it..

Latest posts