• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The mutt is coming along

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Reaction score
He is three now, I use him every day. I think he is still getting handier every day. We moved this little breeding group of yearlings by ourselves today, and all I did was give some instructions. He's not a trial dog but a pretty fair ranch hand.

He got them all. A little fast at the start, but it worked!
Nice you have a good helper. Mr FH never could understand how anyone could have cattle
and not have a dog. Of course, it has to be a good dog that minds.
Your cattle didn't fight him at all, that was good to see!

Nice job.

My Tippy a Border Collie is 3 now as well. He is more vocal than I like but is a hard working dog. We had 20 yearling hfrs in the catch behind the house wanted to corral. Tippy and I just walked out there, I had to open a panel at the end of the wing to bring them in the side they were on. Tippy got around them and one hfr busted back so I went back and changed the panel and we regrouped the hfrs. This time they were coming along and 5 jumped the wing and the rest went in. so we let the whole bunch come out and regrouped a second time and he brought them again , this time he kept them off the wing and they stayed together going in. I felt it was good training for these hfrs as then are going to a pasture with roads and crop around it and Tippy and I might be on foot again someday and have to put them in.

Nice job.

My Tippy a Border Collie is 3 now as well. He is more vocal than I like but is a hard working dog. We had 20 yearling hfrs in the catch behind the house wanted to corral. Tippy and I just walked out there, I had to open a panel at the end of the wing to bring them in the side they were on. Tippy got around them and one hfr busted back so I went back and changed the panel and we regrouped the hfrs. This time they were coming along and 5 jumped the wing and the rest went in. so we let the whole bunch come out and regrouped a second time and he brought them again , this time he kept them off the wing and they stayed together going in. I felt it was good training for these hfrs as then are going to a pasture with roads and crop around it and Tippy and I might be on foot again someday and have to put them in.
Nice when it ends with success. I think it is nearly as important to have dog broke cattle as it a well broke cow dog.

Latest posts