• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The New Rage........Cyber Funerals?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Jun 22, 2006 9:08 pm US/Eastern
Dead Webcast: L.I. Funerals Now Available Via 'Net
West Babylon Chapel Offers Cyber Viewing Free Of Charge

Jennifer McLogan
Reporting

(CBS) EAST HAMPTON When a Long Island man died this week, some of his extended family, scattered across the country, were unable to fly in for the funeral, which under Jewish custom was held within 24 hours.

But they said they felt a part of it anyway because they were able to watch it LIVE via an Internet hookup.

"There is a time frame when families want to bury someone. So instead of delaying the service, out-of-towners, or the very sick, can still take part even if they are not there physically," said Kevin Gray, co-owner of The Star of David Memorial Chapel in West Babylon.

The chapel was recently outfitted with video cameras and Internet servers so that funeral services can be put online. His chapel is believed to be the first in the New York area to have live webcasts of funerals.

"We do it at no extra charge," Gray said.

Viewers can see the funeral from two angles -- a panoramic view from the back and then from a second camera, a close-up of the speaker.

Gray demonstrated, and the video was clear, the sound audible.

Across Long Island on Thursday, it seemed everyone had an opinion on this.

"How odd," said one.

"The infirm and elderly could use it," added another.

Other responses included:

"Computers are impersonal."

"I hate funerals anyway."

"I think you owe it to the loved one to be there in person."

Some Industry experts CBS 2 spoke with predict that webcasting will become more popular as younger funeral directors take over and Internet connections speed up.

(© MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

reader (the Second) said:
Very interesting.

It is a problem with Jewish funerals. They have to take place immediately after the death (exception is Saturdays) and often family members can't get there in time if they have to fly in from overseas.

I don't think this trend will go away.

In the case of my husband, British Airways had all those flights grounded due to the Watch List, if you remember, and all the flights were booked solid that did fly so it was only because of an exception for a mourner that my brother-in-law was able to get to my husband's funeral from London...

My husband did not make his father's funeral due to having to come in from the U.S.

How can you afford to buy a coffin, find a venue, arrange the service etc. in such a short period? It seems impossible.

At first it sounded odd and impersonal, but then all the situations come to mind where folks would like to attend but just absolutely cannot ( they are hospitalized, or are financially unable to afford the travel, too infirm to travel a long distance, too many young children to tend to or others with special needs dependent upon them, those imprisoned...on and on.)

Attending a funeral in person is best but not always possible and this
is better than not attending at all.

Latest posts