• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The night calver

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
I sure don't profess to be a poet or anything close to it, but I do have a little fun with poetry now and then. My dad always said lines that rhymed and I guess I do too, at times.

I wrote the following about our night calver, who has a day job. He loves cattle and comes at midnight, makes a couple of checks, sleeps in between times in our warm room (in the barn), comes in for breakfast and goes to his day job. He is really dedicated and we are so lucky to have him. He rides horseback through the cows every check. We don't have much trouble, except for weather. Of course the emphasis is on the heifers. He liked the poem so I am sharing it here.

The Night Calver
He rolls into the ranch about midnight
Come rain, or sleet or snow.
With a 10-hour job behind him
He's had a short nap and is ready to go.

The colt's jumpy as heck on his first check
But practice makes perfect they say;
He'll travel this path in the darkness
Many times, before light of day.

Each trip tells a different story
Of weather and cattle at night.
He's looking to see if there's trouble;
The boss trusts him to keep all things right.

It isn't a job for just anyone.
It's something not learned overnight.
But he's given his whole life to it;
And works at it with all of his might.

The struggles happen often,
Whether calves die or they live~
He's alone with God and the knowledge
That they're saved because of what he can give.

He doesn't do it for money,
And certainly not for fame.
It's that cattle are his second nature
And it 's all about what keeps him sane!

That was excellent FH. :!:

I know FH's night calver, and every bit of it is the truth too. (I know him, but never met her.) Huh?

FH, you better include that in your next Farm/Ranch issue, that you are always looking for stuff for. I will be watching for it. :wink:

Really good poem, FH. Should be just right for the Farm/Ranch publication. You are lucky to have this man checking cows for you at night, and he's lucky to have a good place to ride his colts and get them use to traveling in the dark. :wink:

Our night calver is going on holiday at the end of the month, so reality will smack us in the face again. Fortunately we don't have all that many to go. He has night calved for us the past three years, and he always leaves us to our own resources come the first of April. He has sure saved the day (in this case "night") for us, though, for the last forty-five days.

Good one FH you should do those more often :!:

Exactly lol. I hate to admit it but were calving already-I'd bred a bunch of cows a bit earliar than usual to sell them but we kept them-their calving a mile or so from the yard-so far so good.They've all had calves without me before I'm sure they will again lol.

It would be interesting to know the number of "cowpeople" :wink: , that have dedicated their lives in pursuit of the happiness of the old cow.

I am calveing my cows 12 miles from my house.over 1/2 done I have seen 2 calves born I get thier about 8 or 9 or 10 in the morning and tag calves and feed then I check them before dark after that they are on their own.I did haul the bred heifers home but not the cows...

Latest posts