• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The one we were lookin' for.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
We took a jont out on the ranch looking for Horns and checking the grass. Spring fever is alive and well around here! :D Had to snap a shot of Little H on the skyline.
DSCF1001-9.jpg

She's my girl and a great horn hunting buddy. Must be those green eyes that help her find hidden treasure!
DSCF1002-7.jpg

Two pals on a sunny spring day. :D
DSCF1003-6.jpg

Mrs. H and Littlest H made a slightly lower loop across the ridge. Shorter legs! :D The little dude found a pile of bone. Just none of it grew from a bucks head! :lol: He picked up some various bones for his "collection"! :D
DSCF1005-8.jpg

Little H found something better than any old horn! A beautiful arrowhead made from the coolest flint I have ever seen. Arrowheads are mostly black obsidian in this country.
DSCF1006-7.jpg

The family and the find! I am pretty proud of my daughter. She found it all by herself and started squealing! A once in a lifetime treasure.
DSCF1009-5.jpg

The grass is starting to get serious! YIPEEEEEEEE!
DSCF1010-5.jpg

And to top it off....... the last calf showed up! We bought the cow as a late calver a couple years ago. She calved in August the first year. Then last year she calved on June 5th and she calved April 14th this spring.
DSCF1012-4.jpg

The new kid is a heifer and doing fine. The spring blizzard came and went and the grass is jumping! The calves are all here and a great treasure was found! Life on the desert is mighty fine today! :D Have a fine evening yourselves! :wink:
DSCF1014-3.jpg

I always pause for a moment before picking up a shed antler, realizing that I'm the first person to ever lay hands on it. I can imagine the reverence of being the second person in perhaps ten thousand years to hold that arrow head.
Thats quite a cow you've got there H. Looks like a milker too, you must have some powerfull grass in that desert.

that is a great arrowhead - looks like she might have a new hobby. i bet she has that for the rest of her life. i also got hooked on hunting for those treasures... found a few neat things, lots of arrowheads a hammer head and a stone spoon but haven't found an arrowhead or spear that big - pretty cool!

starvin'dog said:
I always pause for a moment before picking up a shed antler, realizing that I'm the first person to ever lay hands on it. I can imagine the reverence of being the second person in perhaps ten thousand years to hold that arrow head.
Thats quite a cow you've got there H. Looks like a milker too, you must have some powerfull grass in that desert.

You know, I paused before I posted those pictures. I wondered if someone might question why I would get all excited over an arrowhead or get sideways for picking it up. But what Starvin' Dog said is exactly true!!!! What a deeply reverent and special moment it was to hold it and see it. I have such a great respect for the Native Americans and how they lived. I would never dishonor their heritage by looting a burial site or a scared area. But to find an arrowhead is one of life's awesome experiences. It will never be sold or discarded. It will have a special place of honor over lifetimes to come. Thanks for knowing how we all felt! :D

Thanks for the compliment on the cow. She is a little bigger than my ideal but the numbers at weaning and at the feedbunk on her calves make me smile. :wink:

leanin' H said:
starvin'dog said:

You know, I paused before I posted those pictures. I wondered if someone might question why I would get all excited over an arrowhead or get sideways for picking it up. But what Starvin' Dog said is exactly true!!!! What a deeply reverent and special moment it was to hold it and see it. I have such a great respect for the Native Americans and how they lived. I would never dishonor their heritage by looting a burial site or a scared area. But to find an arrowhead is one of life's awesome experiences. It will never be sold or discarded. It will have a special place of honor over lifetimes to come. Thanks for knowing how we all felt! :D

Thanks for the compliment on the cow. She is a little bigger than my ideal but the numbers at weaning and at the feedbunk on her calves make me smile. :wink:

I'm a little older then Little H and have only found one arrow head. A real nice white one. When I walk the trail where I found it I always wonder what story it could tell. :)

Seems like arrowheads are a special find, regardless of age.
We get to talking about them around here and invariably, a collection
will be brought out and discussed. There is such unsolved
mysteries connected with them, I think, which lead to their allure.

You're right, that one will be treasured for years to come.

Thanks for sharing your day with us, "H.

Thanks for the picture story,LH that is a nice arrowhead,quite a few around here find some when I plow.
good luck

Hey that's awsome 'H! A great family day and a cool find. I wonder what that point is made from? Around here they are all made from chirt. From what I understand that is not an arrow head, it is a small spear point used on small spears (darts actually) launched by an atl-atl, a small hand held launcher that could throw the little spear over 100 yds.
Anyway, I am sure it will be a family heirloom from this day forward and the best part will be the great family memories associated with it!

That arrowhead is a beauty!

Arrowheads are indeed very special. They show incredible craftsmanship in their making and great skill in their use.

I only ever found one, back close to our creek, and lost it at school when I took it to show it to my friends. :( Not sure how that happened.

Hay Maker, I remember you putting up a picture or two of some arrowheads you found while plowing. I thought they were pretty cool.

'H, you got a pretty special family. And you are a great dad to them to do stuff with them like you do.

Pretty good for a turkey . . . . . .

. . . . hunter!

:wink: :)

They had a trappers rendevous here a few years back and a guy was making arrowheads-it was pretty interesting stuff. Looks like a fun time was had by all.

A beautiful day with a beautiful family in an unbelievable place.
I'm 51 years old and I haven't found an arrowhead since I was 6 years old.
On the ranch where I hunt, the rancher's Mom was going through their yard gate a few years back and stooped down and picked one up right where they'd been walking through since probably 1919 or so.
Recent rains had uncovered it, I guess. You may never know what history you're walking right past every day.

I think I've watched to many CSI show's...lol My first thoughts, wondered if there would still be any DNA or a fingerprint preserved on that arrowhead? The stories the arrowhead could tell...What a great family day you had and even better thanks for sharing it with us... :D

Latest posts