• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The price of cows

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Last week they sold 3-4 yr old cows at our local auction at $1700hd. I took 7 weight cows in and got $1100.

Faster horses said:
We just heard that a older widowed rancher in our neck of the woods,
who has a reputation set of cows sold over 200 head at Miles City Livestock
Auction and averaged $2250 for them. I checked it out and it's true...

That's pretty exciting!

if he ran cows for 50 yrs thats 9000 a yr. bettern a sharp stick in the eye
hope his uncle don't need to much

Justin said:
some good 4-6 yr. old cows in St. Onge yesterday for $2250 aswell.
baby calves were $500. :shock:

I've heard $540 on bottle calves. How in the world can someone justify paying that?

One of my favorite UMC professors use to say high prices will always cure high prices. I just hope the cure doesn't come for a few more years. Here in Mo last week Super U was .70 cents a unit. I haven't even priced P or K in a while as I use some manure. I don't even want to think about net wrap this summer. Has any one priced a new baler lately? I nearly had sticker shock. I guess what I'm trying to say is it takes a pile more money to get these calves off the farm than it used to! :wink:

Totally agree, do not think these are high prices compared to what they should be when inflation, etc. is taken into account. Certainly high prices compared to what we have gotten use to over the last few years.
In the 70's calves hit a dollar a lb...although only for a short time, however a new truck was $4000......and new combine was around $25000....gas......well, you could go a long way on $5 worth.
In perspective, are we doing well?

Back in about 1960, I recall being along when my dad drove in to the local gas station to have the attendant "fill 'er up." We had just recently sold our 400 pound Hereford steer calves. Dad commented, "Looks like a 33 cent pound of steer calf will buy a 33 cent gallon of gas. Trying buying a gallon of gas with a pound of steer calf today, even with pretty darned good calf prices.

Soapweed said:
Back in about 1960, I recall being along when my dad drove in to the local gas station to have the attendant "fill 'er up." We had just recently sold our 400 pound Hereford steer calves. Dad commented, "Looks like a 33 cent pound of steer calf will buy a 33 cent gallon of gas. Trying buying a gallon of gas with a pound of steer calf today, even with pretty darned good calf prices.

It will still buy the ''gas'' but it will not cover the increases in the taxes :shock:

and this is why we have an aging ranch/farm population and kid's don't or can't get started,especially when a second year apprentice can make 37$ an hour with a tool box and a lunch kit. oh wait he doesn't need a lunch kit,he can afford to eat out.

Soapweed said:

Yup. I remember selling calves for .22 and .24---and that's what regular and 'ethyl' sold for---at a volumne place i pumped gas @ while going to college.

I've maintained for yrs, that same ratio would work for me!

FIL does lots of comparisions like that when price shopping----says you could take big enuf load of yrlg steers to town behind a pickup to come home with a new pickup---now you gotta follow a pot to town with your old truck.

On the gas deal---I kinda follow one of Alan Nation's theorys:
"If you think something's too expensive to buy---maybe you should be selling it?" I used to work the oil patch some---winters mostly---had more farming, less cows. And more energy. So knew it and liked it. So--put some farly expensive gas (i was buying it) into the car and went on a canadian road trip. Met some junior (little co's) oil/gas drillers, invested some money. Well's we're into have from 6 mo's to 1 & 1/2 yr 'payout'---this is when you break even on that well. 1 1/2 yr payout is considered kinda long----to them----how'd that work for most of us? :p

But--any resource play, you're selling the store--or at least not restocking inventory---so, you gotta keep drilling, exploring, or aquiring or you go backwards. And they don't all hit. Anyway, I think it's beneficial to most people to diversify their assets---Beautiful day in Montana today---better go use some more of it--adios 8)

porkchop said:
One of my favorite UMC professors use to say high prices will always cure high prices. I just hope the cure doesn't come for a few more years. Here in Mo last week Super U was .70 cents a unit. I haven't even priced P or K in a while as I use some manure. I don't even want to think about net wrap this summer. Has any one priced a new baler lately? I nearly had sticker shock. I guess what I'm trying to say is it takes a pile more money to get these calves off the farm than it used to! :wink:

Netwrap was cheaper in November than it was last year at the same time. With that being said I'm sure with fuel like it is the prices have increased now. My advice is get with your neighbors and buy in bulk. Works around here.

Latest posts