• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The price of hay

Help Support Ranchers.net:

loomixguy

Reaction score
For the last 30 days or so, semi's loaded with hay of any kind have been rolling south at a fast and furious pace. New crop, old crop, it doesn't matter.

I heard the local feedlot is buying new crop alfalfa, delivered, and they are paying $100/ton for grinding quality. Last fall I couldn't give my prairie hay away at $50/ton. The feedlot contacted me in late March and wanted to buy my hay and would pay $65/ton, so they got it and I was happy to sell it. My hayground is only 3 miles from the feedyard, so they saw it sitting there everyday.

If prices are that good for alfalfa now, what do you reckon they'll be by late fall or in the spring?

I am giving $115 a ton for grinder hay. tell your buddies to call me !! contracted a dairy at $245 delivered, and he wants another 3000 ton.....

there are two grinder outfits in SW Kansas that run 4 grinders 24 hours a day, they can not get enough hay, so we are sending anything we can get our hands on to them... doubt it will drop off in price for a while.

I have hay bought in Columbus NE, Emporia KS, and Smith Center KS...now I just need to find a truck driver !

jigs said:
there are two grinder outfits in SW Kansas that run 4 grinders 24 hours a day

BS flag here. Not even Mighty Giants can stand that kind of abuse. For every 24 hours, at least 6 is spent on maintenence, or more! :wink:

I have heard 175+ for grinder hay. I guess we are too close to Texas. Any decent hay is on a truck headed south by the time I find it.

Most likely poorer quality. Anyway, that's just a guess.

Problem with it, poor hay is poor hay, whether it is ground or
not. The only real benefit is that the cows can eat more of
it when it is ground. But it contains the same nutrition as it
did when not ground. Grinding DOES NOT increase the
nutrition quality.

I'm happy to hear people are getting their hay sold and
people in the south are finding some. That's a win-win situation.

I am in Idaho where feeder hay is easily bring $180 baled in the fields.

Just yesterday hay with a RFV of 170 is bringing $218.

Last week I was in South Dakota and they have so much hay from last year in the fields that can't even get $60.

Anybody want to sell me some cheap hay, or buy my cows. I have 130 fall calvers

Faster horses said:
Most likely poorer quality. Anyway, that's just a guess.

Problem with it, poor hay is poor hay, whether it is ground or
not. The only real benefit is that the cows can eat more of
it when it is ground. But it contains the same nutrition as it
did when not ground. Grinding DOES NOT increase the
nutrition quality.

I'm happy to hear people are getting their hay sold and
people in the south are finding some. That's a win-win situation.

garbage in, garbage out :lol:

but if it's all you got or can get...... been there done that :help:

Before the hay season got underway I had heard that dairys in Texas where already contracting hay for $245 a ton. Last month at Fort Collins Colorado 3rd cutting alfafla/grass mix 3x3(last year hay barn stored) sold for $409 a ton or $140 per bale. Most of the hay sold anywhere from $180-$260 per ton. Now that is at a auction setting and they sell by the bale but thats what that stack average. They sell everything small, round 4x4, 3x4 and 3x3.

Guess I shouldn't have broke out the hay ground for corn this year.

I bet $20 a bale would buy all you would need in this country right now outside stored carry over grass hay. I rent a place 1st year they have about a hundred bales and shot me a price of $25 1100# bales

It's pretty high out here as well. I have seen anywhere from $85 to $200 for hay. I have some holdover from last year and just picked up 24 ton of 1st crop for $85.

I have both balers cranked to make 2,000 # to 2,200 # bales as I don't want to handle any more bales than I need to but I don't think I could get any more for these bales as the guy down the road that makes 1,100# bales - - - But then I'm not in the selling hay business - - I'm in the selling # of Beef business.

Saw the local feeyard manager this morning. $130/ton for second cutting alfalfa right out of the field.

$7 corn got a LOT of hayground taken out of hay production around here.

While making my deliveries yesterday, no matter where I went, 3 things were running full bore. Combines, swathers, and pivots. It's HOT!

Around here good hay generally runs about 2.5 to 3 cents a pound. Last year hay was hard to come by and some folks were paying close to 5 cents.

Latest posts