• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

the secret life of beef

Help Support Ranchers.net:

beethoven said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rGpDt1AwaI

Do not make the same mistake I made, and waste the six minutes it takes to watch this. It's very disappointing and disgusting to see how far some will distort facts and truth to promote their line of products.

understanding different points of view, being open to what drives people, what they see is what broadens our understanding, tells us what is going on, gives us what people think, helps us, shapes us and our direction forward.

information is for the benefit of those who choose to know and learn.

who wouldnt want to know the many views that abound.

certainly exposure has always been what education is all about.

many things come to my mind in viewing this video. looking at the quality, health factor, supply and availability questions people were asked ie., how much beef do they consume, how much beef a week is a good amount, where and how to access locally produced, good quality beef in the city, these are emerging more recently as big ideas, perhaps emerging trends, that will continue to impact producers.

you dont have to agree with an opinion to find it interesting and valuable.

also, youtube has on its page groups of videos of varying similarity off to the side, so some may find a video of interest to them on the same page. one never knows what interests people, and there is no way to please all people with one thing. obviously that isnt the point, and there is no intent on my part to do that.

and by the way, beefman, i think extending the grazing is a great way to do things, where possible; that old-style grass-fed beef is awesome.

beethoven said:
understanding different points of view, being open to what drives people, what they see is what broadens our understanding, tells us what is going on, gives us what people think, helps us, shapes us and our direction forward.

many things come to my mind in viewing this video. looking at the quality, health factor, supply and availability questions people were asked ie., how much beef do they consume, how much beef a week is a good amount, where and how to access locally produced, good quality beef in the city, these are emerging more recently as big ideas, perhaps emerging trends, that will continue to impact producers.

also, youtube has on its page groups of videos of varying similarity off to the side, so some may find a video of interest to them on the same page. one never knows what interests people, and there is no way to please all people with one thing. obviously that isnt the point, and there is no intent on my part to do that.

and by the way, beefman, i think extending the grazing is a great way to do things, where possible; that old-style grass-fed beef is awesome.

You will find no disagreement from me that grass fed beef can be an excellent product. However, I am confident there are hard working, competent and ethical grass beef producers that would share my scorn and disappointment in this video. This video shares many of the same unproven facts we have come to expect from the likes of PETA, HSUS, and many of the leftist environmental groups. Groups producing low budget flicks such as this that feel it is necessary to throw the rest of the beef industry under the buss to promote their sad and scientifically unproven agenda deserve the small number of crumbs garbage such as this will generate.

thank you for your point of view.

where people agree is an excellent point to begin and work from.

there can be points to agree on even with those groups mentioned who have very different agendas from our own.

it reminds me of the now well-known advocate for change in the practice of proper handling and care of cattle.

many yrs ago perhaps 25 yrs ago, temple grandin was up here and spoke to a group of our cattle producers. her delivery and her message were not received and understood well. over the yrs her message has been proven helpful, people were able to understand. there are now many who have come to find value in her recommendations, even if they agree only from an economic viewpoint.

beethoven said:
thank you for your point of view.

where people agree is an excellent point to begin and work from.

there can be points to agree on even with those groups mentioned who have very different agendas from our own.

it reminds me of the now well-known advocate for change in the practice of proper handling and care of cattle.

many yrs ago perhaps 25 yrs ago, temple grandin was up here and spoke to a group of our cattle producers. her delivery and her message were not received and understood well. over the yrs her message has been proven helpful, people were able to understand. there are now many who have come to find value in her recommendations, even if they agree only from an economic viewpoint.

Not in mine, yours, our kids, or our grandkids lifetime will those that created this video be mentioned in the same breath as Temple Grandin. Certainly not the wacked out sources that are referenced.

Did you have a hand in creating this thing? I'm curious - whose 50 year old home movie of a terminal stockyards (notice all the herefords) was used to describe that "cows" (your words - not mine) are fed 1000 hd per every 5 acres in cramped conditions? That cattle feeding has a "huge" negative impact on the environment? That cattle are responsible for 20% of all greenhouse gases? That "cows" (again, your words) are not designed to eat corn?

How smart is it to attempt to cut the beef industry off at the boot tops in an attempt to sell your own boutique product? In the video, dry aged sirloin is listed in a butcher shop at $18 / lb. Power to you. Hope you need a bigger truck next time. Just curious, why do you find it necessary to perpetuate misinformation in an attempt to sell your own product?

Beefman, as someone that raises 100% grassfed beef, I agree with you on much of it. The reason everyone should watch this is to see that our children are being indoctrinated at a young age in public schools. The data the UN and governments have been using to promote man-made global warming(not to mention animal-made global warming) has been proven to be manipulated and, basically, a lie. Parents need to get involved with their schools to prevent the environmental wacko indoctrination.

Are there offenders in the beef industry that can be point to and exploited? Absolutely!! Notice that all the animated cattle are Holsteins.

The idea that a CAFO is more efficient than grassfed is not exactly true either. Sure there are more animals on a smaller land base, but when the land it takes to grow the feed is taken into account, a well run grassfed operation can rival that efficiency. The thing the controllers of the conventional industry don't like about grassfed is that it puts control of the product and the production back into the hands of producers. Beefman, don't buy into all the propaganda coming from your side either.

As for grain not being a natural food for cattle, that's absolutely true...in fact, grain is not a natural diet for anything except possible bugs. Why??? Because there has never been IN NATURE a massive amount of grain to be used as a year round diet until humans invented farming. Grain in Nature is seeds for propagation of plants. For more information, check out the link I'm going to provide...I can guarantee you will find something you will disagree with.

Much has been made of the Food Inc. movie...here is a link to a review that y'all should read.

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/food_inc_review.htm

beethoven said:

There is information and then there is propaganda.

Have liberals ever considered that before there were 90 million farting cows, there were 90 million farting bison, elk, deer, bear, wolves, etc...? So what really changed?

Latest posts