• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

the suffering in Lincoln

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jigs

Reaction score
with the implosion of the Mighty Huskers, I am suprised at some of the predictions around the web.
Cosgrove gone this week, Callahan at the seasons end, and Pederson going after that, with Osborne getting the AD job......

others say Callahan is out if they lose next week badly.

best quote I have found so far.....
I think Ron Freeman should text message Callahan again. Something to the effect of "If we hadn't left for KSU it would have been for Ball State - thank me later"

that one kills me!

Brian Rosenthal: Everyone is taking off the gloves
Saturday, Oct 13, 2007 - 08:00:56 pm CDT
One fan stood behind the Nebraska bench with a paper bag over his head. Written on the bag: "Save NU, Bag Callahan!"

A couple of folks in the heart of South Stadium held a white sheet with the words "SURRENDER STEVE PEDERSON." They lofted it after a second-quarter Oklahoma State touchdown. It mysteriously disappeared.

Throw in some empty seats in the second half, the fact passers-by were passing on ticket offers of $20 for a pair … well, you get the picture.

It's not a pretty one.

But we know it's really, really bad when announcers on the Husker Sports Network become vocally disgruntled.

There were words like "despicable," "disgraceful," "speechless" … and I'm sure others that reporters heard while listening on the elevator ride to field level in the fourth quarter.

The spin control appeared to finally be spinning the other way.

It started last week, when color commentator and former Husker player Matt Davison was especially critical of Nebraska. He made some less-than-flattering yet refreshingly-truthful comments during an interview on ESPN's telecast of the Missouri game.

That sparked rumors last week that Davison's job was in jeopardy, that Pederson wouldn't allow such blasphemous talk.

Davison didn't want to discuss the situation Saturday, but suffice it to say his job is secure.

That makes sense, if you think about it. At some point, the Husker Sports Network loses credibility by keeping the positive Pederson-fed spin rolling. The network wants listeners, and listeners want to hear candid comments. Kudos to Davison for being the first to take off the gloves.

Now, will Pederson get out of his bunker and field listeners' calls on his Monday radio show? Or should we expect an in-depth interview with women's gymnastics coach Dan Kendig?

Osborne speaks

Sam Keller had never met Tom Osborne, or seen him in person, until Friday.

Osborne, the retired Nebraska coach and former congressman, addressed the team with a speech about sticking together.

"He had some great messages," Keller said, "and hearing it from a coach who's been there and won championships … you have respect for a guy like that."

Nebraska linebacker Lance Brandenburgh, a lifelong Husker fan, seemed in awe.

"For him to come in there," Brandenburgh said, "was like the President of the United States to come in."

Osborne and other coaches and players from the 1997 national championship team took the field before the game, parading from North Stadium with the Tunnel Walk music. They stood along the Nebraska sideline and greeted the current Huskers when they emerged from the locker room.

The warm fuzzies quickly disappeared after the game began.

"I've been a Nebraska fan ever since I was born," Brandenburgh said. "It definitely hurts to know that they were there and we came out and didn't perform."

Unified?

The media has asked various questions of players about team unity and chemistry, with generally the same response: Everything's fine.

Of course, it doesn't look that way in a game.

Tackle Carl Nicks came the closest to admitting that everything may not be perfect.

"Obviously, it could be stronger," Nicks said, when asked about team unity. "I don't want to say it's weak, but it's not strong."

Are there certain areas that aren't strong?

"Everything."

Like?

"Just everything. You name it. You tell me."

Nicks said, "No," when asked if there was bickering among players.

"We could just pick each other up, I guess, a little bit more, but nobody's moping, if that's what you mean."

Going deep

* Defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove declined to talk about defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, who didn't start. Word is Suh sat because of his involvement in a practice fight. Judging by Victory Haines' two black eyes and swollen nose, the non-start was probably warranted.

* There were no loud boos … is that a good thing or no?

* Don't worry. This isn't anything a couple more five-stars can't fix.

Reach Brian Rosenthal at 473-7436 or [email protected].

Okay you two boobs......... We are eating crow and this will take some time, but we will prevail....... Yuck it up, cuz some day the shoe will be on the other foot.......

katrina said:
Okay you two boobs......... We are eating crow and this will take some time, but we will prevail....... Yuck it up, cuz some day the shoe will be on the other foot.......

Just "funnin" Katrina.

Yes, I'm sure it WILL take some time to eat all that crow. :lol:

Getting Callahan's nose out of those play sheets, so he can actually watch what's going on on the field would be a good start.

Cosgrove's problems are bleeding to the O. They know they can put 50 on the board and still lose - so what the heck?

katrina said:

sweatheart, that shoe has been on my foot. for forty friggin years!! now big red has a slump, and it is ohh boo hoo, sorry, but I grewup a Cat in Huskerland, and took sh!t all my life. 1998, was a turning point, and now I will sit back and enjoy the implosion of Husker football......

when NU loses enough game the University is debating dropping the sport all together, then you will know where I came from. and then I will say you understand.

although, it is a sad deal to see the huskers get bully whipped week in and week out, I do pull a certain amount of joy, knowing I may get tickets to see my Cats play there rather cheap!!
God Bless the fair weather fans of Nebraska!

"God Bless the fair weather fans of Nebraska!"

Would those be the same fans that account for +40 years of 80K seat sell outs?

The ironic richness of the KSU fan - ramble on about other school's attendance. Talk smack about Kansas' attendance when Kansas was within about 1000 per game of KSU last year and will exceed KSU this year. ANDDDDD we don't have to tell everyone to wear black at hoops games so the TV audiance will not realize more than half the crowd was wearing blue.

I do hope those season tickets start going cheap! then after pederson, callahan, and team nimrod are fired from AD and coaching and the big N starts rolling again, I can enjoy it in person :D

Brad S said:
"God Bless the fair weather fans of Nebraska!"

Would those be the same fans that account for +40 years of 80K seat sell outs?

The ironic richness of the KSU fan - ramble on about other school's attendance. Talk smack about Kansas' attendance when Kansas was within about 1000 per game of KSU last year and will exceed KSU this year. ANDDDDD we don't have to tell everyone to wear black at hoops games so the TV audiance will not realize more than half the crowd was wearing blue.
scalpers get over 200 for tickets, and then the people leave in the 2nd quarter??

I remember 8 guys getting into KSU stadium on one ticket. yes we were bad, but at least we drank enough to stay through it.

I just believe that NU fans have had it so good for so long, they have no clue what BAD really is. and I loved those Cats through EVERY 75-0 ass beating, and I think it is fun to watch the husker nation turn on itself.

perhaps it is the idea that most feel it is wrong for NU to lose a game. that teams need to roll over because of TRADITION. don't they know we are Nebraska?? it is ok to score a few, but then they need to lay down and take the beating.
parrity in NCAA football is even bringing Div II teams into the realm of beating Div I teams!
I hope NU, Mich., Notre Lame, and all the perenial powers take ass beatings for a few years. because then, and only then will we get a play off!!

Pedersen, Callahan, and Cosgrove working out a new play......

NU.jpg

jigs said:
katrina said:

sweatheart, that shoe has been on my foot. for forty friggin years!! now big red has a slump, and it is ohh boo hoo, sorry, but I grewup a Cat in Huskerland, and took sh!t all my life. 1998, was a turning point, and now I will sit back and enjoy the implosion of Husker football......

when NU loses enough game the University is debating dropping the sport all together, then you will know where I came from. and then I will say you understand.

although, it is a sad deal to see the huskers get bully whipped week in and week out, I do pull a certain amount of joy, knowing I may get tickets to see my Cats play there rather cheap!!
God Bless the fair weather fans of Nebraska!

It's not fair weather, Jigs. People didn't leave early because they didn't really care and only want so see a winner (fair weather), they left because it hurts so much to see what CPC have done to our Huskers. We're hurt and we're mad as hell.

Husker Nation is not only great at winning, but remember that IT'S HOW YOU LOSE A GAME. It's okay to lose with dignity and grace, but to have your great team be destroyed from within is just unexceptable.. If you knew the tears that have flowen the last 24 hours.. You wouldn't be so full of yourself..........

Looks to me like Callahan suffers the same disease as TO.

When things are NOT working, and going to hell in a handbasket, Callhan and TO both just kept the same QB and string in there, hoping things would get better.

I have no doubt the 2nd or even 3rd stringers would have performed as well, if not better, than the 1st string.

We should have kept Bo Pellini as head coach.

Sad :oops: Things can only get better................................

I believe the Huskers will come back and win some games this year.

Cowboys rip NU in Lincoln
BY BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star
Saturday, Oct 13, 2007 - 10:22:12 pm CDT
As he left the field and came upon the angry voices, Bill Callahan's eyes focused straight ahead.

Despite the 45-14 embarrassing loss to Oklahoma State, Husker fans clapped for players as they trudged toward the locker room.

"Keep your head up Cortney," a man shouted at Husker senior Cortney Grixby, who flipped his sweat bands to a young boy.

But as the Husker coach came off the field, clapping gave way to shouting, lots and lots of shouting.

"You suck!" one fan shouted, and another repeated it.

An older woman leaned over the balcony rail and yelled in a shrill tone: "Fire Callahan! You're a loser, Callahan!"

You'd be hard-pressed to find a much lower day in Husker history than Saturday at Memorial Stadium, where an average Oklahoma State team simply beat the bejabbers out of Nebraska.

Mediocrity would look pretty good right about now.

The voices were no more easy on Callahan in the postgame press conference, where he was asked if he was now worried about his job being in jeopardy, in this, his fourth year at NU.

"I'm not worried about that," said Callahan, composed. "I'm just coaching for these kids, and that's why I got into this. I just feel terrible for these players. It just hurts to watch these kids hurt.

"I'm not worried about my job. I'm just going to do the best I can. Whatever happens, happens. I don't think you can coach in fear or coach like you're scared of something. I've never coached like that in my life. I've been in this business for 30 years, and I sure as hell ain't going to start (coaching scared) now, that's for sure."

He was asked if he'd consider making midseason staff changes.

"No. No, I would not," he said.

He was asked how he'd explain Nebraska's last two performances to Chancellor Harvey Perlman and Athletic Director Steve Pederson.

"More or less, we've tried hard putting a package together where our players can be prepared and perform, and it didn't happen. It's very disappointing," he answered.

He was asked if he's lost this team.

"I don't think so," he said, citing the way his team competed in the second half despite trailing big.

It's the first half Husker fans won't soon forget.

Go to the thesaurus. Find the word ugly and all the words that befriend it and there you have it.

The whole scene was absolutely bizarre.

There were a few fans with bags over their heads, a "SURRENDER STEVE PEDERSON" banner and sarcastic cheers when the Huskers finally got a first down, almost 12 minutes into the game.

It was 38-0 at halftime and there were pockets of empty seats in Memorial Stadium when the Homecoming royalty was announced.

Several thousand fans had decided their time could be better spent elsewhere, a few reaching for their car keys just five minutes into the second quarter.

"It was the worst half I can ever remember playing, especially in a first half," Husker senior linebacker Bo Ruud said. "That was just terrible. There's no excuse for that. It was just poor."

The 38 points were the most a Nebraska defense has given up at home in a first half.

Oklahoma State had lost 20 straight in Lincoln, dating to 1960. But on this day, OSU piled up 551 total yards, gashing the Huskers for 317 yards rushing.

Dantrell Savage had 212 of those yards, averaging 8.5 yards a carry.

The Huskers have now given up at least 40 points in four of the past five games. No Nebraska defense before this one gave up at least 40 points four times in a season.

Husker quarterback Sam Keller said players are angry, confused.

"It's not that easy when you're hurting inside so bad," Keller said. "I know some guys are just searching for what's going wrong. Some guys are confused or angry, but a lot of guys, myself included, don't really know how to deal with this kind of situation and the weight of this situation."

Not impressed with the football, fans did the wave to entertain themselves with 11 minutes left and the Huskers down 31 points.

When Oklahoma State made it 45-7 with 5:25 left on a 30-yard run by Savage, the stadium was only half full.

Randy York, associate athletic director for strategic communications, said Pederson would not meet with the media after the game.

Don't look now, but the schedule only gets tougher for the 4-3 Huskers.

Coaches and players talked about fixing things. But at this point, what reason is there to believe there's any chance of that being accomplished?

"There's always hope," Callahan said. "That's a part of life, is believing. You just have to believe. As a coach and coaching young men, you have to keep hope alive for those young kids. You can't walk away from them and point fingers and blame and do anything like that.

"They're hurt more than anybody. They're embarrassed. They really hurt. Those kids in that room I just left, they're gutted. They're mentally, emotionally, physically gutted. They are sick."

Yeah Callahan you dirty buzzard, It's all your fault..... I hope you're happy now...... You and your cronies have destroyed a dinisty(sp).
You did it when you took away the ability to walk on to play......... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Don't feel too bad, Katrina. You guys should be able to win one Saturday.

btw......we'd be willing to give ya Coach Fran. :wink:

txag said:
Don't feel too bad, Katrina. You guys should be able to win one Saturday.

btw......we'd be willing to give ya Coach Fran. :wink:

Yeah your right there......... It's just football and collage at that... :oops:

Where ya been???? And what ya been doing??? Was wondering about you a few days ago....... :D :D

Latest posts