• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The way it's supposed to be.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin

Reaction score
I checked calvers tonight about dark. I had a heifer walking with her tail out but no water bag. I decided she had just started so I went and ate supper. When I came back the whole bunch had moved half a mile up the creek and bedded in grass on dry ground. I found my heifer laying with the rest on the outside of the bunch in the moonlight/headlights. I moved the truck around her and saw a brand new baby still in the water bag except it's head. It's about 40 with no wind . I shut the truck off to watch and make sure the overly calm heifer would take her new prize. After a minuite or two of the baby flopping it's head around the new cow got up and followed the well trodden path of a million mothers before her and started cleaning the calf off. It was quiet and most of the rest were still bedded down except for some inquisitive bovine midwives who occasionally checked on the new member. I listened as the brand new mother sweetly , lowly, talked to her new baby. I like that noise. I know you have all witnessed the scene but the serenity struck me . I though of the birth of my own children. Life is good.

Red Robin,
that sound is one of the reasons most of us are in this business, it is also one of the things that people who are not in this business don't ever get to experience. Hope you keep having good luck. :)

Red Robin-great description! Yes, to me it is just heaven on earth(in case I do not get there).THe weather is to turn to more calving temps toward the later part of the week for several days-30 for hi and mid teens for lows with not much moisture. Good Luck with the rest of you calving season! :)

This is the reason most of us are in the business.

I love it when everything works right.

Nice word description, Red Robin. It is a peaceful easy feelin' when everything happens as it's supposed to.

The coyotes howling after daylight this morning gave warning of our impending storm. Right now, at 6:40 p.m. MST, the temperature is 28 degrees, the winds are calm, and there are a few snowflakes in the air. Time will tell.

We are south and west of you, soapweed, and it is cold but very clear here. I have to admit I am a little skeptical about the predictions. :? Afraid to believe anything that means moisture, like I might jinx it if I think it will happen.

we had a heifer calf today...... pair of premie twins :roll: one dead the other is alive at least. She was one we bred and were gunna sell before she calves because her pelvic wasn't where we wanted it... if she'd have been one our home raised she's have had them no problem but oh no...

Have just checked the calving heifers. It is a beautiful evening with a light breeze out of the northwest, 22 degrees, and overcast skies but the moon and stars are visible. It's a time bomb waiting to go off (both the weather and the tight bagged heifers). :wink:

Our night man got back from a little trip yesterday afternoon. He will rest all day today, and be ready to assume duty tonight. This is the third year he has night-calved for us, and he worked here full time from 1988-1992. He has been fencing and doing shop work since last November, and hopefully will hang around to do some more fencing next spring. Nobody in the world does a better job building box corners and gates than does he. He's definitely a loner and pretty well hates people. Back when he worked here full-time, we'd go to a branding and right after dinner he'd go sit in the pickup, all but honking the horn wanting me to get going. While working cattle through the chutes, he'd holler at them, "Get the heck a-going, stand around tomorrow." That has always been his motto. :wink:

Just got in from checking about four inches on the ground.IT's so fluffy if you sneeze you'd start a ground blizzard.At least the sled that we pull calves in on sure pulls easily.

Soapweed said:
Have just checked the calving heifers. It is a beautiful evening with a light breeze out of the northwest, 22 degrees, and overcast skies but the moon and stars are visible. It's a time bomb waiting to go off (both the weather and the tight bagged heifers).

:lol: Timebomb is right :lol: After 2 months of 10F - 20F days and nights, I'm about 1 week from the first calf on the ground, and the mercury takes a dip to -30F. :lol: If I calved in August, the temperature would still find some way to dive to -30 :lol:

Here is the results the next day.
100_4852.jpg

Aren't they cute! Good luck with the rest. Went out this morning and there was a new calf (must've been up and about) that had broke through the ice on the pond! Still had it's head up, thank goodness. Got in the truck and now it's in front of the heater warming up :p It's 20 here with a wind chill of 4...I wouldn't want to be in an icy pond!!! My hands still hurt.

Mike said:
Good results. Did the semen get to Katy OK?
I havn't checked Mike , I'll call and make sure but I am sure it did. She said she checked the tanks back in and would find the semen on the returned tank. Thanks alot Mike. I'll breed this one to Rio. :wink:

Speakin of the noises cattle make, I always like the quiet noises horses make, early mornin, steamin cup of coffee, gettin ready to saddle up to go work cows. And it dont never hurt to have a perdy sunrise to go along with that.

Latest posts