• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

The winter that wasn't is turning into the spring that wasnt

Help Support Ranchers.net:

garn

Reaction score
Simply unbelievable. One of the pluses of a nearly snow less winter, heard on the radio this morning that the Iowa DOT saved nearly $15 million on snow removal costs and that money will be used for road repairs this spring & summer.

POLK-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DES MOINES
400 AM CDT WED MAR 14 2012

...RECORD HIGHS TODAY...
...NEAR RECORD HIGHS THURSDAY...
...NEAR RECORD HIGHS FRIDAY...

.TODAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGH IN THE UPPER 70S. SOUTH WIND 10 TO
15 MPH.
.TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOW IN THE LOWER 50S. WEST WIND NEAR 5 MPH
SHIFTING TO THE NORTHWEST AFTER MIDNIGHT.
.THURSDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGH IN THE UPPER 70S. SOUTH WIND 5 TO
10 MPH.
.THURSDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF
THUNDERSTORMS. LOW IN THE UPPER 50S. SOUTH WIND AROUND 5 MPH.
.FRIDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGH IN THE MID 70S. SOUTH WIND 5 TO 15 MPH.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOW IN THE UPPER 50S.
.SATURDAY...PARTLY SUNNY WITH A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.
HIGH IN THE MID 70S.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOW IN THE UPPER 50S.
.SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.
HIGH IN THE MID 70S.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOW IN THE UPPER 50S.
.MONDAY THROUGH TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF
THUNDERSTORMS. HIGH IN THE MID 70S. LOW IN THE UPPER 50S.

Same here in southern Ontario, garn. We have forecast highs for mid to upper 60's all week!

In March? :shock: :?

The ground is going to be ready for sowing triple mix before I am at this rate. :? But it likes an early start so this might be the year.

burnt said:
Same here in southern Ontario, garn. We have forecast highs for mid to upper 60's all week!

The ground is going to be ready for sowing triple mix before I am at this rate. :? But it likes an early start so this might be the year.

showing my ignorance, but what's "triple mix" :???:

Before this "heat wave" set in, I noticed a week and a half ago that several trees already had buds on them :shock:

hayguy said:
burnt said:

Triple mix? Start with Bailey's, favorite liqueur and a shot of light rum. Goes well on ice under a tree in the first warm spring days . . . J/K!! :wink:

Triple mix is oats, barley and peas at about 135 lbs./ac. Underseed it with favorite grass mixture and we're back into hay or pasture next year!

Last time I grew it, about 3 years ago, it was at least as tall as the back tractor tires (16.9x30's) when I cut it. Goes close to 10 - 4x5's per acre.

It makes a terrific calf feed if cut at milk or early dough stage and wrapped - nature's own TMR. Makes a complete high protein ration containing a bit of energy, really stretches the calves without any added grain and/or supplements. Also give a bit of good quality dry hay in another feeder.

burnt said:
hayguy said:
burnt said:

Triple mix? Start with Bailey's, favorite liqueur and a shot of light rum. Goes well on ice under a tree in the first warm spring days . . . J/K!! :wink:

Triple mix is oats, barley and peas at about 135 lbs./ac. Underseed it with favorite grass mixture and we're back into hay or pasture next year!

Last time I grew it, about 3 years ago, it was at least as tall as the back tractor tires (16.9x30's) when I cut it. Goes close to 10 - 4x5's per acre.

It makes a terrific calf feed if cut at milk or early dough stage and wrapped - nature's own TMR. Makes a complete high protein ration containing a bit of energy, really stretches the calves without any added grain and/or supplements. Also give a bit of good quality dry hay in another feeder.

sounds like it's worth a try, what seeding tool do you use?

the thirst quencher sounds like it's worth a try as well :wink:

hayguy said:
burnt said:
hayguy said:

sounds like it's worth a try, what seeding tool do you use?

the thirst quencher sounds like it's worth a try as well :wink:

I use my neighbor's International grain drill. Kinda partial to it because it has dry fertilizer and grass seed attachment as well. It's conventional so I have to work the ground to a nice fine seed bed. It's called FARMING!

Called about the seed today but it's not in yet. :shock:

The triple mix out here has barbless barley in it. And Burnt is right about it being a great feed for weaned calves. They love it, won't bloat on it and gain weight.

Thank's Burnt, i was concerned about mechanical damage to the pea seed going through a drill and do you weigh the seed one third, one third, one third or do you try to compensate for different seed size? with a different ratio. hoe drills?

hayguy said:
Thank's Burnt, i was concerned about mechanical damage to the pea seed going through a drill and do you weigh the seed one third, one third, one third or do you try to compensate for different seed size? with a different ratio. hoe drills?

Nope, no mixing required, comes as a blend from the seed processing plant. It's a popular seed mix here in Ontario, especially with dairy farmers who manage it very closely for maximum protein, ie: cutting at milk stage. 2 or 3 days either way makes a huge difference in protein level.

The grass seed, 80/20 - alfalfa/timothy mix, goes in the small seeds box, of course and trickles on the surface.

The link below recommends a 50:50 cereal to pea mix but I think ours is stronger to the cereals. The peas don't seem to suffer damage in the drill. Maybe have to drop the seed meter gates a notch. Around here about all one sees is single or double disc openers.

The nice thing about the mix is that the fairly early harvest date allows for another cut of alfalfa in late summer or early fall. Sometimes, depending on rainfall, there's a big "2nd cut", but the last year we grew it it was pretty dry and we got only the one cut (but it was huge). But it does guarantee a good establishment of the underseeded hay crop.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/98-041.htm

Latest posts