• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

There is nothing........

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Glad you got rain. Now if the rest of the dry spots could get a good shot.

One thing for sure, this business is never boring for too long...

Glad your dry spell is over gcreek. And I agree, nothing sounds better than rain on a metal roof when it's needed.

You title says it all for this country :D "There is nothing" but empty clouds going for a refill.

but promise of rain.

but short hay crops.

But it could be worse. :D Parts of Saskatchewan dodged getting frost last night and some places not real far away are getting rain
We have had cooler temps so the grass in holding if not growing much. Others north and west are drier than we are.

Glad to here you're getting a soaking,maybe the weather patterns are changing for the better.

A few of the neighbors cut some hay down and we got 3/4 of an inch over night. I'm waiting another week and a half before I begin.

Our country had hail last night. From Montana to Newell SD along with a tornado near Hereford, SD. It was a wicked storm. Our neighbor lost some winter wheat and another lost a field of peas. Some of the hail was baseball size. I feel for those who suffered losses.

I'd gladly give some of our excess rain to those in need. Tropical storm bill dumped from 4-12" in a couple days. Been some devastating flooding.

Weather extremes are so discouraging. It is hard to make a living growing food as ones business/life work, that could be made so much more worthwhile and productive for both producer and consumer if appropriate weather could only be counted upon. Add in the dangers and injuries to people, animals and land, and life can get a little depressing at times. If it were not for faith to lift us up, bad weather could take a greater toll on our attitudes.

We experienced some of that bad weather last night. Leaving a matched bronc ride event at Philip just as the last ride was taken, we watched the lightning and clouds play tag across the sky for the 32 mile trip home, arriving just as family members were finishing putting vehicles and equipment into our new, as yet not quite finished calving barn. Others were gathering at our house, the only one with a basement. And getting our car into the garage just as the electricity went off was good. However we got no hail, just wind damage, and it was probably a straight wind. It blew some large, heavy steel and tin windbreak panels several yards, bending three of them some, but looks repairable. Quite a few branches came off an OLD Chinese Elm tree in the front yard, but didn't hit any windows. And that mess is being cleaned up as I write. I'd like to cut the thing down entirely, as it drops branches all the time, but the shade wins me over! Trees are so hard to grow and keep in this area that we treasure even the 'mis-fits. I'm sure others in the area had more damage. Creeks and the Bad river are pretty high, but believe they are dropping rather quickly and we really could wait awhile before getting more rain.

The country side is really beautifully green, and has been for more than the usual 'three days of spring' here. I think all the branding delays have been overcome, and many cows are in summer pastures. We hope to get that done here this week. We calve in spring pastures, and they are doing very well with our about 12 inches of rain so far this year, so think it probably is good to have delayed going to summer pastures, if not by choice.

Some people had serious damage to buildings, and quite a few semi's were blown off I-90 to the south of us, with ambulances called out from small towns in the area. Lots of trees and some buildings damaged in small towns, I'm sure. Community celebrations were interrupted last night, and as of 6PM right now, there is thunder rumbling in the distance with clouds gathering in the west and north, so maybe another night of worry and praying for not getting more than we can handle, as well as for those who are getting so much damage for weeks this spring!

Yet, very thankful that the rodeo ended with no serious injuries, and that the only damage we have heard of during the storms around the area was property, not injuries or deaths.

mrj

Good to hear somebody is getting the rain!We got lucky this morning and got 3 tenths,brings the total to 8 tenths since the snow left.Still got 1/2 the herd at home figure it's easier to keep them here,then bring them back home to start feeding.Good thing it's staying on the cooler side or we would be in serios trouble.

We have had rain at least 3" per week for the last 6 weeks - - - mostly every day a 1/2" or so. Nobody has any hay up in this area and the forecast calls for rain every day for the next 8 days.

Pasture is growing great but you can't drive on it to clip weeds without the danger of getting stuck, it has been a real pain getting the row crops sprayed but we have been over all once and they look pretty good!

If you did not have enough equipment your crops got planted very late - - - every time we got a break both planting outfits ran 24 hours a day - - - auto steer was sure a blessing this year as we could run all night and not have to worry about following a marker!

Here in South Texas we have finally gotten over a 5 year drought. So far this year we have gotten 49.9 inches. Last week we got 10 inches in 6 hours. Should be getting ready for the second cutting of hay, but still waiting to get the first one done. Will have high quantity but quality will be low.
I custom bale and right now we have a 3 week backlog.
Cattle are up to their bellies in grass, more grass than we have seen for 5 years all combined.

Latest posts