• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

They won't teach where their food comes from. Grrrrrrrr!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
The teachers at our school say that there is no need for a class about Agriculture and I got mad. Half of the people there think that milk comes from a carton or a jug from the store. They teach us about the sherpas and others but won't teach these kids where their lunch came from. I am truly angred by this and I would like some input because there are some others that are wanting a class on Agriculture. I get bugged because i'm supposedly a "country hick that needs to hang out more" an i just tell them to think before they eat and thank the people that feed them. half of them think to thank the ppl at the grocerey stores, and the other half think they have to thank their parents. I'd love to tell em to bless the farmer that fed your fat a$$.

No offense, but if you think that is bad. I grew up in the heart of cattle country and our school would rather have a big art program than to help the students expound on an already highly knowledgeable ag background. They did bring a "mobile unit" in (no offense to the teacher, because she was great), but one semester out of four years does not cut it :mad: . This trend is becoming too big, your story proves this. I sincerely hope that people will open their eyes and realize how important ag education really is.

ACS,
hate to keep putting this on here, but use the Providerpals website to further your cause. If you think your area is in the dark, check out a school in NYC, they really don't have a clue. I always have to get into the beef byproducts, and you should hear the eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwws when you tell those girls that the makeup smeared on their faces is a product with bovine ingredients.
Keep up the fight :evil:

Yes the need for students to learn about AG. You have to understand that teachers will not teach things they themselves do not know. Why do you think we have become so far behind in science?
There are a bunch of teachers wanting to teach about where our food comes from.
I can give you many examples of how misinformed students are.......chocolate milk comes from a brown cow. I am not talking a couple I am talking out of 88 student 75 thougth that.
THANK YOU SW for telling me about providerpals. I received my packet yesterday and I have a meeting with my principal to become an active school.
ACS you need to find a Teacher who is will to help and be your advocate. Start by getting all the students who want an AG class and go as a group to teacher yall think will be willing to help. Remember always go and ask for them to help, that will get you farther than going mad.

Same problem here....the FFA Alumni had a meeting w/ school board trying TRYING to get AG classes put back into the middle schools.....NO WAY!

And we're a county where AG is over 3/4 of our total industry, poultry being the biggest, cattle, apples and now vineyards and goats....but it's all AG!

And I'm in the rural RURAL South where farming,, etc is still a part of everyday life for most of the people...but the people who've moved in here from the cities have been the pushing force to remove AG and replace it with art, dance and soccer! Yes, there is a class on soccer now!

Seems city folks who move here to get away from crime, crowds and enjoy nature etc don't like the smell or visual side of " nature" in action. I was once asked by a woman to remove some cattle in heat from a pasture near our rural road...it seems her son had seen them cows riding each other on his way home on the school bus and told her about it. I just put about 5 more heat pairs in there and told her to mind her side of the road and I'd do the same for mine.

And Ms Sage...I was working in WY this summer and a grown woman from S.Frisco California, 'bout 55 yrs old I'd guess, TOLD me that brown cows gave dark or choc milk! She had asked me what breed of cow it was that was on this ranch we happened to be on @ the time. She also said this to the rancher, I'll quote verbatim, " FARMER Joe...you should not let those cow graze on the rough grass...it surely hurts their mouths. You should really consider the welfare of your cattle" I nearly fell over and the FARMER Joe was shell shocked @ the whole tirade she was on!!

That's not only funny but sad and scary @ the same time!

A chocolate cow giving chocolate milk,
What a site to see that would be.
The goofy old gal from the Frisco Bay
Has completely lost all her sanity.

I'm really not much of a betting man,
But on this I'd be willing to bet my hat.
Two bits and more says that this ol' gal
Is darn sure a Left Coast Democrat.

:wink: :shock: :)

EnCana just gave $750,000 to Wyoming Ag in the Classroom, the money suppost to be matching monies.... so that alot of money to help teach ag in a small populatin state

Nice little poem there Soapweed but WRONG!!!

She thought GW's mouth was a prayerbook!! Pure Rep. to the bone!

I know!!!!....the rancher looked stunned. He was taken aback for a minute!

I believe he told me he was the 4th generation on the place. When I told her of her mistake..that he was not a FARMER...but a RANCHER... I might as well have been talking to the moon!

EnCana just gave $750,000 to Wyoming Ag in the Classroom, the money suppost to be matching monies.... so that alot of money to help teach ag in a small populatin state

Jody-'ya took the words right out of my mouth! I use Ag in the Classroom materials with local students as a guest speaker. It is an awesome program and I can't wait to see what new goodies come from the Encana money.

In Wyoming, Conservation Districts house what we call "tool chests", and the materials are available to the public. It's true that teachers won't teach what they don't know, so that's why they call someone to present a complete lesson. Once you get a foot in the door with one teacher, it is amazing how fast the rest will be calling to see what you can do! It can amount to a fair amount of prep work on my part, but it is worth it when a student catches me at the grocery store and proceeds to explain how a product got from the soil to that shelf.

Although this is also an ag dominated county, we are now seeing many "foreigners" and it is changing how these kids look at their environment. It never ceases to amaze me that kids don't know where the components of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich come from.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a book!

Fireweed said:

Jody-'ya took the words right out of my mouth! I use Ag in the Classroom materials with local students as a guest speaker. It is an awesome program and I can't wait to see what new goodies come from the Encana money.

In Wyoming, Conservation Districts house what we call "tool chests", and the materials are available to the public. It's true that teachers won't teach what they don't know, so that's why they call someone to present a complete lesson. Once you get a foot in the door with one teacher, it is amazing how fast the rest will be calling to see what you can do! It can amount to a fair amount of prep work on my part, but it is worth it when a student catches me at the grocery store and proceeds to explain how a product got from the soil to that shelf.

Although this is also an ag dominated county, we are now seeing many "foreigners" and it is changing how these kids look at their environment. It never ceases to amaze me that kids don't know where the components of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich come from.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a book!
Was you at WSGA-WWGA convention for the presentation of those monies, was a good program. Live in what used to be an ag community, it pretty bad when taking a bum lamb to school and the teachers rasied her don't know what a bum lamb is...

Nicky said:
How big is your school? and the town that it is in? Just curious. Hang in there :)

Our school has about 300 students. I am in Central Saskatchewan, but I can't say where over the internet. If you want to know more, just e-mail, or pm me.

Prollem is, the principal won't allow me to do this anymore because it is causing a 'disturbance' to the school environment. I want to get a petition started, but the problem is, 75% of the school has to sign on and want it. That is 3 out of 4 people, but i'm not going down without a good fight for it :wink: . Guess who got beat up for getting on the cases of the ppl that said I was useless?! It took 4 of em to take me down an I gave em their fight. I Diddn't even do anything to them this time. Just jumped me. Still pretty fun to see how holding calves down at branding and roping them big suckers left in the pasture helps with them city boys. An' I got in trouble for picking on them... :lol:

Education in Ag Program - - our FFA is running this program in the schools as part of the student classes

http://www.educationindex.com/ag/

Latest posts