• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Thieves are targeting hay

Help Support Ranchers.net:

garn

Reaction score
Unbelievable.

Much more inside the link: http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io...58048/-/format/rsss_2.0/-/aqke4h/-/index.html

Farmers in Iowa are dealing with a new threat.

Crop yields are down and water supplies are drying up due to the extreme drought, but farmers said they are more worried because thieves are targeting a valuable commodity.

For Dallas County farmer Justin Rowe, working the land during extreme drought is tough enough.

"My brother and I have run it for about 12 years here, before that my father, before that my grandfather and my great-grandfather. We're about the fourth or fifth generation to be in the area," Rowe said. "Last year, with as little as moisture as we had, it's very challenging. We had probably a 50 percent or less hay crop everywhere, and anybody you talked to said that, and we've been short on pasture for cows."

To add to what they are dealing with, farm advocates said thieves are stealing hay.

And corn -

"ST-LEONARD-D'ASTON, Que. — Months after a massive maple syrup heist, agricultural thieves in Quebec are at it again.

Thieves using at least a dozen large trucks struck at a farm in central Quebec overnight Tuesday, making off with an estimated 400 tonnes of the product.

The farmer who owns the crop estimates the value of the theft at $140,000.

The unidentified farmer says the corn had been stored in silos at the farm located about 130 kilometres northeast of Montreal.

Thieves broke locked fences to get onto the property in St-Leonard-d'Aston and then neutralized the alarm system, even shorting out surveillance cameras...."

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/12/first-they-come-for-the-syrup-thieves-steal-400-tonnes-of-corn-in-bold-quebec-farm-heist/

Burnt, Our feedlots only about 2 hours from that corn heist and a lot of people are saying that its an "inside job". Thinking maybe they're trying to cover up for a bad contract deal they made. Quite a few rumors are going around about what really happened.

They pulled it off so slick that it makes you wonder how they did it. That's a lot of truck loads to move without raising suspicion.

Latest posts