• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

This and that

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

These first three pictures are just west of here a few miles, in an area that the local indian tribes used for a buffalo jump in bygone days. I have found buffalo skulls at the foot of our pastures of simular terrain.

RoughJumpoff.jpg

Jumpoff2.jpg

Jumpoff1.jpg

This is a horse of mine that is QH/TB. He about jumps out from under you when you sort cows on him. He has a lot of life in him.
horsesNr.jpg

This is a rockbarn we have on the original HQ that is made of native stone off our ranch. It is a neat old barn.

rockbarn2.jpg

Real jake- your country looks a lot like our Missouri breaks country that starts a couple miles south of me.

Grandpa had a rock barn like that back in the early 1900's- Our place was an old freighters stop during the horse and wagon days- and they'd put their horses up in there at night- the teamsters would also sleep in the barn or when it was real cold, roll out straw mats on the floor in the house...It would hold over 100 horses...I never saw it , as it was hit by lightning and burned down in the 30's- just piles of rocks now- but I have seen some pictures....

OT, this county is pretty good sized, but it also has a huge variation in terrain. Not real far from Liberty Belle's area there is dryland corn and small grain crops that produce fairly well. And they have very good pasture, and some rough country close too. Then there are 3 distinct hill ranges with jackpine timber on them scattered through the county. Then this west central side has the breaks type country scattered around quite a bit. And it has mostly cedar for trees in it. The far southcentral and south west gets pretty sparse for grass. There is clay, sand (with active dunes in the central parts), and gumbo in different areas. Just take your pick, it changes about every 10 miles.
:D

Jake your horse looks like he is catty, nice to look at too. Kind of like what I have seen of your place of the pictures I have seen. No junk laying around, a nice picked up place. Just like horses, if I have to ride them I want to like looking at them, the ranch if I work it I want to like looking at it. Doesn't take much effort to keep a place looking nice.

We do have a great variety in this country. After looking at jake's pictures, I have to post some taken on my every-other-day twenty mile trip to check cows at our summer pasture.

fallenbarn.jpg

This is what's left of an old barn at what used to be the Denzin place where all the older Denzin's in the country were raised.

rockcorral.jpg

This is looking south east at the rock corral at the Hackamore Ranch, built by the Donner family in the early 1900s. That is the Slim Buttes you can faintly see in the distance.

rockcorral2.jpg

Same corral looking to the west. The road I take passes just to the south of this picture and heads west toward Horse Creek, which is the third creek of the five mostly dry creeks I cross on my way to the pasture.

Those were fantastic pictures, Jake and LB.

Thanks for posting them for us to see.
I think that rock corral is really something. Imagine the work that went
into building that. Someone must have dug it out at one time? I don't remember ever seeing anything like that before!
Would be neat to stop there on our way by someday.

Jake, I like your country, your horse, your rock barn and your Wilson aluminum trailer. I probably like the paint horse, too!!!

TXTibbs - you've got us pegged. In a matter of minutes we could drive to North Dakota, Montana or Wyoming and on a clear day from the top of several of the tall buttes we have here you can see all three.

For the most part this is fairly rugged country with the Slim Buttes, Cave Hills, Short Pines, the Jump Off, and part of the Long Pines breaking up out of the prairie. Our best crop is short grass that provides some of the best grazing available anywhere, provided we get enough moisture.

Living here will spoil you so bad you don't want to live anywhere else. We call it God's country.

If I get time later on, I'll post some more pictures taken on my travels to check summer pastures.

FH - I'm the president of our local historical society and every year, right after Labor Day, we take a tour somewhere in this area. Next year we might take our tour right through the ranches where these pictures were taken. They are not on the way to anywhere, so you won't see them just driving through the area. The rock corral is located at our nearest neighbor's to the west and it is eight lonesome miles of gravel off the closest highway. The rock barn is another seven miles beyond that with no neighbor in between, nothing but dry creeks and gates.

These tours are really interesting. If you get time, come on over. Five years ago we toured the Capitol, Montana area. Wish you could have been along on that one.

Love the picture of the rock barn and rock corral. If the barn wasn't still in use I'd have me a porch all across the front and convert that into a home.
I live in the land of "no rocks whatsoever" I wanted a rock fireplace but just couldnt bring myself to buy rocks....so instead we gathered old brick that Mr Lilly's great grandparents fire place chiminy was made of, and used them on the inside hearth.

Liberty Belle, I didn't know Doug had the cool rock corral. That is something to see. I have never been on that ranch, and if you have a tour over there I will sure try to make it next year. You learn something new every day. The Donner's over there must have been a different branch than those that met their fate earlier further out west. :wink: :D

rancher, I like things to be kept up, but we do have a few old buildings and so forth that would be great to burn on a day like today. Someday. Seems like every year we get a little more junk out of the way.

Oh, and TXTibbs, even though Liberty Belle are in the same county, I think it would be closer for me to get to Belle F. than to LB's. There is not a fast way to get between here and her place except way around.

Hey Jake,
Glad to see Old Paint is still going. Is he still your Dad's ride? I think Gary and Sue still have my old paint mare out of him. That was a damn good line of horses. There aren't a whole lot of them around any more.

Liberty Belle, if you are offering a tour to those of us on ranchers.net, I'm sure up for it. I know Mr. Faster Horses would like to see that country too.

Just let us know if you are serious and we'll set a time!
Especially if we get a little Indian Summer yet...

koj, here is a better picture for you of Paint. (Oh we are just so original about naming animals). :wink:
Paint.jpg

I was talking to Richard this spring, who had the mare that Paint is out of, and he told me the story of the day Paint was foaled. It was very late April of 1984, and one of the worst spring blizzards we have seen around here had just came to an end. Richard said he went out to have a look around, and he happened to go by a dam and he could see his horses huddled up behind it. He then goes right past the horses, and he sees that Paints mother had just foaled in a snowbank. He says to himself "holy moly", because he was surprised Paint survived, but the name never stuck for some reason. :shock:

He is slowing down, but is still one of the best horses for getting the job done. He is irreplaceable.

I have a good picture of the E6 buttes that I will post sometime. I think I have seen what you mentioned, but most times I go by it anymore, we have been riding on cattle. What, did you smoke a box of cigs, or tip a few beers up there that time? lol. Bet you didn't fool anyone. :wink:

FH: Liberty Belle, if you are offering a tour to those of us on ranchers.net, I'm sure up for it. I know Mr. Faster Horses would like to see that country too.

Just let us know if you are serious and we'll set a time!
Especially if we get a little Indian Summer yet...

We trailed our cows home a couple weeks ago, so I won't be making my scenic trip anymore this fall, but we are planning to go over pretty much the same route with our historical society tour next September, if I can get all the details worked out.

The tour is free and open to anyone who wants to come. You just have to bring your own vehicle that can handle rough trails, a sack lunch and a jug of water. We line up speakers with a knowledge of the area and it's history and we usually have an interesting day.

If anyone is interested, I'll post a notice on ranchers.net as soon as we know for sure when and where the tour will be.

Sure like your paint.... what the breed line?

He is out of a grade mare, and the sire was Go Tuffy Go. Tuffy was used some of the track, but koj might know more about that than I, as his grandpa owned him. Paint is sure a walking son of a gun.

koj, here is a picture of the E6 Buttes (south buttes) that I took this summer. The rocks for our rockbarn were taken from another simular butte.
E6.jpg

This was taken yesterday close to my house. The hill is named Lone Mountain, and it sets out a ways from the Short Pine hills. I will admit that I have a nice view here. :D Our snow is about gone today, except for in the draws and creeks.
LoneMountain.jpg

Latest posts