• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

this is getting old,

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
Almost 3 weeks of temp inversions, some below 20 day with high below zero, but not bitter cold most days high in single digits lows below -10. Taken a little extra hay, Snow has turned to sugar, really need a good snow storm to push this cold out. :( :roll:

Ugh! Not to brag but it's been beautiful here. Low's in the teens, highs in the 30's - 40's. They say it's going to be the driest Dec on record :?

Nicky said:
Ugh! Not to brag but it's been beautiful here. Low's in the teens, highs in the 30's - 40's. They say it's going to be the driest Dec on record :?

No snow here either was in the upper 30's today pretty nice for december. Nothing to speak of across North Dakota went North of Williston Friday no snow out there to speak of.

We had about 6" of snow here in southern Ontario early last week. But it's all gone again with just a skiff of fresh stuff today with just below freezing temps.

But dry we are NOT having received about 10" of rain in November and December. I hate to think of how deep it would be piled if that were all snow. :shock:

Been fencing on my days off out on the desert. Havent got a glimpse of the sun in over three weeks. Hasn't been bitter cold but sure gloomy. Can't decide if that's because of the miles of fence left to build or lack of overhead illumination? :wink:

Jody- that sounds like our last year- and I do feel for you... We've been extraordinarily lucky this year... Heres a post I put on one of the angus sites yesterday:

Oldtimer said:
We are sure a lot further ahead than last year when we were feeding full feed by the 3rd week of November because of 2 feet of snow..
Started the morning with about an inch of snow on the ground- then the temp started rising- and the Chinook winds blowing and the snow just went..Temp was 45-50 degrees with 25 mph NW winds...

Cows are still out grazing - and just rolling them out about 10 lbs of hay to supplement whats lacking in the dry hay meadows (also lost some hay meadows in the spring/summer flooding)... Lot of times they walk away from the hay to go grazing/or don't even come to the hay... Hay here is cheaper than any other supplement this year...

On the 8th of Dec. I attended the local Stockyards Bred Cow Sale...

First thing is they sold 350-400 ton of good grass/alfalfa hay (tested 14+% protein) which sold for just under $55 Ton...(A fellow that had all his hayland flooded out- bought it all)..

The top cows I saw sold were part of a dispersion- 1150Lb coming 4 year old blacks that sold for $1725 Mid March- Mid May calving... Some 1000lb coming 3's sold for $1650...(Reds in the herd sold for about $150 cheaper)...

But anything with a calf in it- even broken mouths and old shorttermers were holding strong at $900 to $1250 when I left...

Definitely a time to have cows-- cheap hay- pricey cows !!
I haven't got to see that very often !!! Its usually just the opposite....

Weather was so nice I snapped a few pics while riding around thru the cows this afternoon..

The whole creek bottom was spread out with cows- picking on whats left of the hayfields..
100_0229.jpg

Some of the coming yearling heifers were in a group- took a few pics of them...
100_0242.jpg

L B B Juanada 128 # 17083246

100_0233.jpg

127 L B B Chezney # 17083247

100_0235.jpg

L B B Pidge 125 #17049643

100_0239.jpg

L B B Floret 126 # 17049644

100_0243.jpg

L B B Floret 124Reg: AAA 17049645

100_0240.jpg

L B B Juanadamere 123 #17049642
100_0236.jpg

L B B Juanadamere 129 #17083245-- the youngest of the calves saved..

100_0238.jpg

Heres a heifer that will have her first calf this spring that my son bought from Taylor:
W C R Katherines Lass 017X #16769667

100_0241.jpg

And here is a little cow he got from Cole Creek-that if I could have all like her I would be happy....A true 4 frame cow that would probably not weigh 1100lbs that has brought in all 3 calves she's had at an actual weaning weight of over 600lbs- which included a bull I'm using now (Lazy Bar B Juanada Rito 06X #16741353) that weaned at 690...
Cole Creek Juanadamere 5U #15822851

Only time will tell if she can keep on doing that- but so far I sure am pleased with her..

100_0246.jpg

And now our long range forecast thru New Years is temps in the 20's to 30's with some days close to 40-- with only light amounts of snow...

Like I said- I feel for you- been there and done that-- but we are grinning up here just getting one more nice day done at a time...

Right now its 38 degrees and RAINING !

Temps are supposed to start dropping and be down to about 0 tomorrow night

Be a skating rink around here in the morning!!

Latest posts