• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

This Ole Cow

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Is ten years old and has had 9 heifer calves. (She was spring born) Usually one of the first to calve each year, is no trouble, ever, and stays in pretty good BCS. Yep, I'm bragging on her, wish they could all be like that. Have all of her daughters too!
3E131R.jpg
[/img]

You should brag, thats a good thing :) How big is she? Did she have a heifer again this year?

Nicky said:
You should brag, thats a good thing :) How big is she? Did she have a heifer again this year?

She weighs about 1300 and I would guess a frame 5 or 5.5. Yep, that's her bouncing baby girl she licking on. The calf was about 4 hours old and weighed 76 lbs.

Pretty light BW for your taste isn't it Mike? Nice pair.

I believe a lil braggin is in order,I dont know if that ole girl is old or not,I came in for lunch ealier this week and turned the tv to RFD tv,they were doing the cattle show and a cattle man in Arkansas? was bragging and talking to the show host about his ole mama cows being twenty five and still calving, unbelieveable the oldest I know of for a fact is sixteen,any way good looking pair Mike.................good luck

Nice looking pair, Mike. A little small for my taste,though. Most of my Char cows are capable of taking a 76 lb. sh*t!!! :D :p :p :p :wink:

Jethro.

While preg checking today, there was an old red cow that had slipped through the cracks for the last few years. Usually if they are bred and have all their teeth, they get to stay around for another year. Anyway, this ol' girl had a nine on her shoulder, and it wasn't 1999, but 1989. She is sixteen, has all of her teeth even though they are very short, but she did come up open this fall. Guess she has earned her keep, but gets to go see the city lights someday soon.

I can beat the 16 yr old cow.

Just yesterday I had the vet " put down" my old 1978 model Angus cow. She was just plum tucker'd out! She was blind, had a few teeth and hadn't had a calf in well over 15 yrs....but she was my mother's old pet cow so she got to stay around no matter what.

She'd just hang out around the barn as she had her own room in there in the wintertime and her own private grazing lot.

The Angus Assoc told me as best as they could determine--according to deaths that had been turned in to them...she was probably the oldest living registered Angus cow @ that time.

My vet told me that when he died he wanted to come back as one of my critters as they all seem to lead a life of luxury!

Now kolanuraven, I hope you realize that what I am about to say is an attempt at joking and jest. It is easy to see by your actions that you are a Democrat. :wink: :) A Republican, being more logical, would have sold a non-producing cow such as that many years ago. Have you thought of the loss of revenue from fifteen years of a cow not producing a calf? The feed bill goes on and on and on, whether a cow produces a calf or not. And what did the vet charge to "put down" the old cow? Republicans can do the deed for just the price of a bullet.

Democrats "feel good" keeping an old cow around just for the sake of keeping an old cow around. Republicans "feel good" when they know they have put down an old dilapidated cow, to go to the Happy Grazing Ground, if that cow is found to be unsaleable and suffering.

Guess that is what makes this old world such an interesting place to live. We all have our own hopes and dreams, and stars to shoot for. Viva la difference. :wink: :)

BINGO...I am Democrat ...so you got that one right.......AND I did realize the loss it was causing me....but it was MUCH quieter in my world to keep the ol gal around as like I stated she was my Mom's pet cow!!

Now I know you've been down that road...and who ain't...where it's easier to go with the flow than try to fight it. The old cow had literally wrung out all of life she was ever gonna get, it would have been a matter of days I think that we'd found her " 4 tits up" anyway.

I sell private treaty show calves...so I just pushed a bit harder for the others to make up the small difference she cost me...so no big deal there. I don't work on a volume basis .

The vet was a no charge to " do the deed" .

Soapweed said:
Now kolanuraven, I hope you realize that what I am about to say is an attempt at joking and jest. It is easy to see by your actions that you are a Democrat. :wink: :) A Republican, being more logical, would have sold a non-producing cow such as that many years ago. Have you thought of the loss of revenue from fifteen years of a cow not producing a calf? The feed bill goes on and on and on, whether a cow produces a calf or not. And what did the vet charge to "put down" the old cow? Republicans can do the deed for just the price of a bullet.

Democrats "feel good" keeping an old cow around just for the sake of keeping an old cow around. Republicans "feel good" when they know they have put down an old dilapidated cow, to go to the Happy Grazing Ground, if that cow is found to be unsaleable and suffering.

Guess that is what makes this old world such an interesting place to live. We all have our own hopes and dreams, and stars to shoot for. Viva la difference. :wink: :)

with your reasoning, would Ross Perot get into the running and tell you how the giant sucking sound was that of businesses who used to put down cows in America now rushing to put down cows in Mexico ?

I suppose old Ross would raise Brahma cattle...he likes the ears!

Latest posts