• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Thunder Showers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Maple Leaf Angus

Reaction score
We heard some real music this morning. We awoke to the sound of thunder rumbling far away and then closer. "I should get up and put the combine in. . ."' I mumbled to my wife. "Yeah," she mumbled back. Went back to sleep. Next thing (thang?) I know it is starting to rain. Jump outta bed, get dressed, run out into a light rain, start'er up and down the road to the shed next door and in the door. By now it is pouring. Wife comes to pick me up, I dash to the van and get soaked. Beautiful. "Why don't we like to get wet when we need the rain so bad," she says. "I love it" I said. "Didn't look like it," she says. Can't win.

Not too much rain yet, maybe 1/4 to 1/2, but it sure has got to help. The pastures were crackling dry. Guess I'll start feeding hay today. July 16.

The Lord gives and the Lord takes. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

Hooray for you and the moisture. My husband always says "we have to prime the pump~" so maybe you got some priming done this morning.

We had a small thunderstorm as well. Maybe got a tenth of an inch. But we were and are needing some. Have a 50% chance tonight, but it is expected to be rather severe. We have been missing some of the severe weather, hope it isn't our turn. (or anyone else's turn.)

Over the last several days we have had afternoon thunder showers and have accumulated over 3 inches ..yayyyyyyyyy..needed it somethin awful. Lookin like daughters barrel race will be rained out this afternoon. She's not happy but when ya need rain this bad ya take what ya can git when ya git it. First rain we had we were just coming out the gate from checking cows..I rode with the winder rolled down and my arm stickin out....loved it. Although when I got home n it was pouring...I did "run" from truck to the house. Don't know why we have an aversion to gittin wet when we need rain so bad...but I think (on my part) it's a fear of lightening. LOL

Kinda like Tibbs fear of grasshoppers hehe

Big Muddy rancher said:
Woke up to thunder here this morning and had a shower looks like we could get more today.

Are you sure that was thunder Big Muddy,with you being so full of hot air could'a been something else?............good luck :wink:

HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Woke up to thunder here this morning and had a shower looks like we could get more today.

Are you sure that was thunder Big Muddy,with you being so full of hot air could'a been something else?............good luck :wink:[/quot

Your the one that's been eating BEANS for the last week. Or so you say. Mike and I know different. :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Are you sure that was thunder Big Muddy,with you being so full of hot air could'a been something else?............good luck :wink:[/quot

Your the one that's been eating BEANS for the last week. Or so you say. Mike and I know different. :wink:

Yes IM recuperating from all that bean eating,looking forward to some rib eyes this afternoon,weather man sez 70% chance of rain tho so maybe I will get lucky,sit on the front porch and contemplate lifes mysteries,that dont sound like a bad way to spend a saturday evening,watching it rain I havent had any rain on the hill country place in about 3 months and the hay crop is off by at least 50%,how bout you are you making any hay ?...............good luck

Well, I don't know about BMR, but I'm sick of cutting hay already! We have hay coming out of our whoo-haw (sp)!

Im with Shelly,

We just finished baling one field of alfalfa and we averaged 4.5 (1700 lbs) round bales oer acre off of it. Raked it last night and baled it up, thank god because we had another monsoon move through here about 15 mins ago. Heaviest hay crops around here ever!! :D

Shelly said:
Well, I don't know about BMR, but I'm sick of cutting hay already! We have hay coming out of our whoo-haw (sp)!

I wondered where you were Shelly,if you did'nt show this week end I was gonna get the search party after you,and ILL bet you will be glad you have hay coming out of your haw-whoo,this winter,can always sell some to Big Muddy I dont think he has made a bale yet ,he has been to busy with other stuff you know :wink: ...........good luck

Well now I'm broke down, so I guess that means I can make hay on my lawn now till the mechanic comes and gets the haybine up and running again. It's amazing how fast the lawn can grow when you're not around to take care of it!

Shelly said:
Well now I'm broke down, so I guess that means I can make hay on my lawn now till the mechanic comes and gets the haybine up and running again. It's amazing how fast the lawn can grow when you're not around to take care of it!

what happened to the haybine?........good luck

Brand new Case-IH SCX100. I don't like it that much, too damn noisy with those steel rollers. But it crimps the hay better than the New Hollands we had before. They were 1475's. We've always used New Holland up till now, started with a 116 and traded up every two or three years. First 1475 we had was evil! Every baby whatever in the field got put through, and if it couldn't find baby animals or birds, it would give itself and my tractor flat tires! Must've been made on a Monday and someone on the line was in a bad mood and cursed it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I'm back. But not on my own computer. Ours got knocked out in the thunderstorms on Saturday, as well as the DVD player and some phone stuff. We were away all day and my son didn't think to unplug stuff.

But the good news is that we got 6 INCHES+ OF RAIN! :D :D :D

And since it came from 7 AM until 6 PM, a lot of it soaked in. Time will tell if the pastures will come back. 10 miles east of us they got 10-12 inches and there was water all over. I was thinking about the folks in Manitoba and Alberta where they got so much rain. There were low spots in the barley fields that had water that was deeper than the standing barley. (As well as soybean fields)

Seems that in never rains but it pours.

Lots of us were trying to wish some rain your way, and it looks like maybe it worked, but with a satellite delay! I'm sure glad to hear you finally got a decent (?) amount of moisture and hope it isn't too late for grass and crops. Six inches in one day is a bit extreme, for sure, but we don't get very good control on volume, I'm afraid.

Latest posts