• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tie,or dally?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Yeah if you can't take carte of your horse buy a quad-you know your not really a cowboy till you've roped and stretched a black bear and jerked down and eartagged a moose lol. I know a couple guys have done both. Horses absolutely hate moose for some reason-they scare them worse than wolves do. It takse a good horse to pull a bear off his feet-they'll squat and put their paws on the rope or climb up the rope. I'll probably never perform the task but I'll sure promote the event lol.

I know a couple of pasture guys that caught and loaded a black bear in their trailer. They even got their ropes back in one piece. They did get into a bit of trouble though for doing this. As far as eartagging moose, did that once. We didn't catch him and lay him down though. We chased him to the corrals, run him up the chute. Tagged and Ivomec'd him (for woodticks) and let him go. Why? I don't know. Just to see if we could do it I guess. I got pictures, don't think I can post them on here though. We just had a disposable camera.

I seen a couple of guys here in arizona rope a bear and stretch him out but you cant let no slack in that rope or they will reach up and pull the rope off their heads just like a human would . But if you chouse them to much they will die in a hurry they get all hot and panic and they wil only last about 15 minnutes maybe at the most on the end of a rope and they will just keel right over . But i have roped cow elk bull elk and roped a speed goat once too . Seen my dad rope a nice buck one year in parks Arizona that sum buck jumped right up in the saddle with him and it was all he could do to get rid of his rope and get him off his saddle and him .

Northern Rancher said:
Yeah if you can't take carte of your horse buy a quad-you know your not really a cowboy till you've roped and stretched a black bear and jerked down and eartagged a moose lol.

I'm sure glad I'm not a cowboy if that is how you have to prove it.

And that statement about the 4 wheelers must be why so many in ranching are using them. They can't get it done with a horse, so they get a 4 wheeler. Guess thats probably a good thing for the horses.

I've seen some that treat their horse just like a 4 wheeler too. They need to just buy a 4 wheeler and leave the poor ol' horse at home..

daddy always told me if you try to keep him out of a wreck he'll try to keep you out of one i've always tied off but i can dally if the time arises you know if u r on a colt or roping big b ulls or something but a man ought to have enough sense and desensecy to take care of his stick and the cattle from sensless frammin and snatchin

azcowpuncher said:
well ha ha thats a hard one to say , he is a damn good horse hand and a good packer , he is good help and a hell of a hand with a rope , but he wears chinks and an a fork saddle and kinda acts like a buckaroo but he is good in my book ha ha . Yeah one of these days i will call you and tell ya about the story claude dallas that he told me , he was very good friends with claude .

azcowpuncher,

Any idea what Claude Dallas is doing now? I hope he is enjoying life. I always had a certain appreciation for his lifestyle and what he did.

If you google Claude Dallas it comes up with the story, and he doesn't sound like hero material to me either.
The song was much better before reading the facts......

And I make three,of someone not too impressed with your choice of heros Rross.Claude Dallas was a murder and really the thought of him enjoying life just doesn't sit well with me either :?

Well anyone who says bad stuff about claude dallas only heard the fish and game side of the story or seeen the movie . If you were to ask any of them buckaroos about him they will tell you he was just as good a hand as anyone else in that part of the country at the time . Yes even tho this is modern times and its not the wild west anymore , there is still the chance that you might run across someone who still lives by the law of the land , so when you make threats you better be able to back them up . Thats what them game officers did was made threats , and i can tell you right now cops or no cops you pull a gun on me for no reason you are liable to have to use it . There was way more to this story than most of you have ever heard and i am not about to go into it here cause i am not his lawyer and hell i never knew the man , but i know lots of folks who do know him very well . He was a hero cause he didnt let that worthless game warden push him around and make threats that he couldnt back up . So its probly a good reminder that if you got the mouth to talk big you better have the ability as well . We all know who had the ability that day dont we .

As far as were he is and what he is doin , i wont tell exact details that i have heard but he is in nevada on ranch .

Sorry- but my heroes don't shoot ANYBODY in the back of the head-- with a mafia style coup de grace-- especially not Law Enforcement officers...

He may have well been in the right- but that is where he made his mistake and made him nothing more than a murderer.....

Oldtimer said:
Sorry- but my heroes don't shoot ANYBODY in the back of the head-- with a mafia style coup de grace-- especially not Law Enforcement officers...

He may have well been in the right- but that is where he made his mistake and made him nothing more than a murderer.....

Gotta agree OT.. Gotta agree.

well they were dead when he shot them in the back of the head , i think it was maybe his instinct kickin in maybe cause he is a trapper and thats the way most folks finish off animals and i am sure to him thats all they were at the time . He would have walked out of the court house with self defense if he hadnt done it like that but he did and served his time they gave him and now he is free , people may not like that but ya know what too damn bad right ? At least he had the guts to stand up for what he belived in weather you think its wrong or right , he wasnt gonna take it bent over like most folks do . Like i said there was more to what happend than just what you hear from them wanna be western sheriffs that you folks call game wardens . You come down some time and deal with some of the ass holes and tell me you dont ever think about the same thing , a guy can only be pushed so far before he snaps , just like what happend with the forest service office gettin blown up up there in nevada everyone one in the cow country from oregon to mexico knows who did that but no one turned him in wouldnt do any good now anyway cause he is been dead for years , they were pushin he pushed back got his office and his pickup . Its just some of these old timers ( well most of the tuff ones are all dead now ) didnt take **** from no one . Now i am not sayin its a good thing to be layin for your local ranger but by god enough is enough in some cases .

A family went to guns in Wallowa county Oregon over some cows and mostly pride....I think two are dead and have to think, "What good would did being stubborn do?" The first guy killed could have easily rode off and let the law do its job. But, he bristled up and decided his worthless cousin wasn''t going to push him around......He lost his life for a few head of cows and to "Prove" they couldn't push him around......What does his family have for that?

PPRM

Here is the most honest answer here. I do not tie hard and fast becasue that way I can give my rope to someone that really needs it! We usually only rope on cattle that are outside, or in brush in some big pastures! I try to keep the best dogs I can keep so that makes my roping like a Booth at the County fair....a "Pitch till you win" kinda thing! That way I do not have to be good, just patient!
Why did none of the Texas boys talk about the Chainlink...deal...I see lots of them run the rope through a chain link that has a yank line on it.. so they can be tied hard and fast but can get the rope off fairly quickly by pulling the yank line on the chain link!
For those that do not know what I am talkin about...some use a large chain link and then make an eye with their rope..push that through the chain link..and over the horn. The knot in the rope keeps it from pulling through the chain link, and the yank line tied on the other end of the chain link.(opposite from the knot) gives you leverage to get some slack in the rope. Pretty handy thing, if you are changing ropes pretty often or need to get loose to run the rope up through the trailer..

Yeah that chain link is the same as a rawhide horn knot , you can yank them all and get them loose , but you cant just yank it and get free if there is no slack in the rope and there have been many a time wer ei have seen guys tryin to get rid of their ropes in a wreck but they cant cause there is no slack .

I have always ridden with a knife in my right back pocket. One that I can open with one hand, and that I can get to with chaps on. I also got one in my left front pocket, just in case I am unable to get to the one in the right back! I am not too proud to use either, for what ever I need loose from! Both have come in handy over the years.
In spite of thinking that I was pretty safe from being tangled up I did manage to get my hand in a coil, along with the reins, and that all in a dally ....lots of pain, but I did get out without breaking or cutting any thing off....NO one saw it..so that was the good part..but I did come to the conclusion that you can get in a wreck, no matter how careful and prepaired you think you are..
That made me be a lot more careful when working by myself. That is one advantage of not being a good roper...you do not have to worry much about that kind of a wreck. Roping is dangerous, at best. It is far more dangerous out in the brush, on wild stock. And it is not something that you should do alone! I know there is no other way sometimes, but still, it is not the wise thing to do.

Latest posts