• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Time for a new trailer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Spanish Johhny

Reaction score
where the deer and the antelope play AB CA
Looking at a new Frontier aluminum stock trailer. It's parked beside a new Sundowner. Crawled in under and around and I understand that the Frontier is a cheaper trailer because its a cheaper trailer, but I'm pretty easy to please as long as they are SAFE. I do NOT want problems on the road. Any body got any opinions on these Frontiers?

Johnny if you're getting dluminum get a wilson. You will forget about the price after you buy it. The latches, hinges, etc are much sturdier than most.

We love our Featherlite ....but there ya go, it's like
anything-pros and cons to all....and I have to say the dealer/location can make a difference.
My advice would be to buy a well-known brand because of resell value. They hold their value better.

Good luck!

I'd buy a well known brand because they can cut corners to save cost and know one second guesses them because they are a well known brand with nice trim/sticker scheme.

Denny said:
I'd buy a well known brand because they can cut corners to save cost and know one second guesses them because they are a well known brand with nice trim/sticker scheme.
I'll bite. How is a Denny made trailer better than one of those junky wilsons?

redrobin said:
Denny said:
I'll bite. How is a Denny made trailer better than one of those junky wilsons?

I think Wilson's are the best aluminum trailer I've seen but I've worked on a lot of name brand steel trailers and some of the things they chince on baffle me and knowone even cares because they are name-brand. All I was trying to get across is maybe the Fronteir is a great trailer at a great price. But being it isn't top shelf its not worth a look. come on. the quickest way to make a dollar is not spend it.

Anyone tried a Merritt? I will be buying an Aluminum as I put a lot of freeway miles on it. I have a really really old Circle J for off pavement. But, it really is too much for Freeway Hauling IMO.

Lebanon Livestock Auction is pretty happy with their Merritt the first few months they had it. I've hear they are comparable to a Wilson.

My understanding is Exiss (I have a friend who hauled one for close to 10 years and sold it for the original purchase price) would be the next step down from Wilson and Merritt.

My thought on buying aluminum trailers is buy whatever brand that also builds bull wagons.

A new Merritt 32 ft showed up around here last winter. We are very pleased so far. A perfect match for the F 550. Pulls easier than the 24 ft steel trailer it replaced. I have never seen a Frontier brand. My brother has an Exiss and likes it.

PPRM said:
Anyone tried a Merritt? I will be buying an Aluminum as I put a lot of freeway miles on it. I have a really really old Circle J for off pavement. But, it really is too much for Freeway Hauling IMO.

Lebanon Livestock Auction is pretty happy with their Merritt the first few months they had it. I've hear they are comparable to a Wilson.

My understanding is Exiss (I have a friend who hauled one for close to 10 years and sold it for the original purchase price) would be the next step down from Wilson and Merritt.
I've had a Merritt for 9 years. It's hauled a lot of cows on a lot of rough washboard roads. The only thing I've replaced are hub caps. It's been a dandy. Will get another when and if this one wears out.

Ho55 said:
PPRM said:

I've had a Merritt for 9 years. It's hauled a lot of cows on a lot of rough washboard roads. The only thing I've replaced are hub caps. It's been a dandy. Will get another when and if this one wears out.

Off road washboard is a pretty impressive test for an Aluminum In my opinion. I figure I need a 25 year trailer. I kind of look at everything that way now. Spend the extra money on good stuff and in 25 years I'll be done and it won't matter.

PPRM said:
Ho55 said:
PPRM said:

Off road washboard is a pretty impressive test for an Aluminum In my opinion. I figure I need a 25 year trailer. I kind of look at everything that way now. Spend the extra money on good stuff and in 25 years I'll be done and it won't matter.
me too.....I hope

VB RANCH said:
Wilson make's a hell of a pot, their goosenecks SUCK plain and simple
That's amazing. I use one all of the time and didn't even realize it.

Traveler said:
VB RANCH said:

I think it is the newer ones, how new I am not sure. We heard the same thing when we bought our last trailer, so we bought a Featherlite. They had a problem year or two, but they are back to the original ones now.
The first Featherlite we were ever around, back in the early 80's, the guy that had it could tear up a crowbar and that trailer really held together. No care, was pulled fast over some really bad roads. We were impressed by it, because we really thought an
aluminum trailer couldn't hold together under those conditions.

Traveler said:
VB RANCH said:
With there punched sides, there big ribs going down the floor, there rap around tailgate handle they don't work for me, but if your happy that's all that matter's

Sounds like you wouldn't care for a Merritt either VB. Featherlite may suit your fancy, but they have a cargo latch on the full door also. As does every aluminum stock trailer I have ever seen.
Is there a model or brand that suits your taste? I am just asking.

Haytrucker said:
Sounds like you wouldn't care for a Merritt either VB. Featherlite may suit your fancy, but they have a cargo latch on the full door also. As does every aluminum stock trailer I have ever seen.

Mr. FH says we don't have a cargo latch on the full door. What are you calling a cargo latch? Just curious.

Faster horses said:
Haytrucker said:
I pull a old Sooner , 01 model , the latch shuts even with the side, making it easier to shut in loading ally's ,the floor is corrugated, with no big bumps, so its real easy to clean , the walls are built with 2 slats on top, so you can run a rope trough there to drag something in the trailer. And I would never buy another one

Mr. FH says we don't have a cargo latch on the full door. What are you calling a cargo latch? Just curious.

Latest posts