• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Timelapse pics of our bull

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
We bought our bull from Yardley Cattle Co. in 2010 as a yearling. He is registered angus and we have been happy with him and his calves. Here he is as a yearling, fresh from the sale.
DSCF1034-1.jpg

From the back
DSCF1033-1.jpg

Up front
DSCF1028-2.jpg

And another side of the story
DSCF1023-1.jpg

Out with the cows on the mountain, year one.
DSCF1019-3.jpg

As a two year old.
DSC00018.jpg

One more on the mountain as a two year old
DSC00250.jpg

And some i took today as a three year old
DSC00850.jpg

I like his hip and his length
DSC00851.jpg

So whadd'ya think? :D His calves are easy doing, come easy and grow well. His daughters are good desert cows that seem to stay in good flesh year round. His EPD's are pretty average CED +7, BW +1.5, WW +29, YW +53, MILK +15 and $EN +18.14 I have watch lots of bulls grow over the years here, on the family ranch and at the places i have worked. That $EN index number might take away some from milk and yw and ww but it sure seems a postive number results in cows that stay fleshy and raise good calves. Just my thoughts and some pictures i thought ya might find interesting. By the way, his calves averaged 636 at weaning with a 205 day weight average of 619.
DSC00852.jpg

He certainly is a long bugger. I'd like to see him deeper with more volume,
but it sure sounds like he's doing a good job for you and that's what really
matters! Interesting to see him from yearling to 3 year old!!
I've heard it said that the real good bulls outproduce themselves~sounds
like that could be what's happening with him!!
Good for you!!

Nce looking bull from the Yardley Cattle Company. It was my privilege to meet Gib Yardley at the Denver Stock Show back in 1975. He raised good bulls back then, but besides good bulls, he now also has a nice family to help him carry the torch. Thanks for the pictures.

Nice bull H: biggest thing is that you are happy with his calves/daughters. No bull is perfect but we have to use what we think is best for the cowherd we have and of course no bull is going to work for everyone.

I almost didnt post his pictures because they just don't do him justice. He has great capacity and girth but it doesnt show from my poor photography skills. :D Anyway, here's a link to his pedigree.

http://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.aspx?aid=FAAAAL4WEHz2euwB7yZED0%2fwgTbpCzRn%2fWWqnvaUBAhmupp4&time=LAAAAOgweZpY7kqtHO5wOj4KIbOVOokcbZyLXjYB%2bEGYaZxfHILcYAdVkJwiOWqthJUNeg%3d%3d

I know how you feel H. I have been trying to get some good pictures of my bulls as well, I just don't have the skills to do them justice. I have never been happier with my bull battery than I am now, but I look at the pictures and they just don't look the same.

There is nothing special looking about this guy, but that usually doesn't matter. He looks like a good honest breeding bull. The proof is always in the pudding. If you are weaning off calves at 640 lbs, he must be working just fine.

I have a 4 year old heifer bull that most people wouldn't want. The thing with him is that he has no flank. He is just a little tight through the middle and back end. He has been a great bull though, never have to help a heifer calve, calves get up and get going, and they really pack the pounds on over summer. Everything you would want in a heifer bull. I wouldn't trade him for anything else if he wasn't such a knuckle head. I will be selling him after this season because he is to hard to handle. Breaks something in the corral every time you have to move him somewhere.

Our bulls don't need to look like Rock Stars in Photo's, they just have to work like them in the pasture. Spend a few minutes with the girls and then move on to the next one. :shock: :lol: :lol:

O.K., maybe that was crossing the line.

Our bulls don't need to look like Rock Stars in Photo's, they just have to work like them in the pasture. Spend a few minutes with the girls and then move on to the next one.

Yep- I agree... And as long as he isn't being used as a seedstock bull with the genetic defect problem, he looks like he will do plumb good... I love his length and topline- and like the fact he isn't all legs like some of the carcass bulls-- looks like he can raise some calves with good pounds...He has some good genetic background in his pedigree and EPD numbers (for what they are worth?) for raising easy keeping maternal type cattle that can still put down the pounds on the ground in their calves...

Luckily I found a while back that when looking for cattle that can make you dollars without costing you too much- its better to not look for the "Photo Rock Stars"... Some of the more Plain Janes/Johns will do you a whole lot better than those full ad Photo bulls- especially when you live in an enviroment like you and I do...

Right now we up here are in a land of plenty with moisture where cows can thrive- but we/I know its only days from another drought and where cows just have to survive...Big difference from the environment where most those big numbers "Picture Bulls" are living....

I appreciated the time they took taking photos of this bull from day one. Great idea. Nice photos.

By the way adding to the Rock Star photo messages. Most breed publications will not take a ad unless the bull photos were taken by a professional or copied from AI books..Ya Rock Stars.
The clubby bulls at Denver displays really are Rock Stars!!! TPC carriers included.

I have not had any luck getting a professional to come to take a photo of my cattle they just tell me I have to have a purebred sale with clippers and fitters also. I take it they just have time for the elite "Rcok Star" showman and investors. Normal people are not on there list. I had a retired livestock photo fella come out about six years ago and he did a great job. One of the popular photos people will take a photo when they are working at AI studs. Thats all the luck I have had. So guess back to my old country music favorites no Rock Stars here.

Latest posts