• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Times are changing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Guess I'm just not as rich as some others...... maybe I'm just plain stupid.

While we try to be as much hands off operation as possible, buy our bulls from the same type operation or raise our own, I am not above helping out when the need arises. In my mind, I would rather put a teat in a calfs mouth or treat them for whatever sickness they might get than otherwise. I feel it is much more lucrative to have a live feeder calf AND a cull cow to sell in the fall than it is to crow about how tough my herd management is.

Regardless of value, letting a calf die out of tough love or laziness is like standing in the wind and letting 100 dollar bills flutter out of my hand. Guess that's why I never quite made being a cowboy. :wink:

gcreekrch said:
Guess I'm just not as rich as some others...... maybe I'm just plain stupid.

While we try to be as much hands off operation as possible, buy our bulls from the same type operation or raise our own, I am not above helping out when the need arises. In my mind, I would rather put a teat in a calfs mouth or treat them for whatever sickness they might get than otherwise. I feel it is much more lucrative to have a live feeder calf AND a cull cow to sell in the fall than it is to crow about how tough my herd management is.

Regardless of value, letting a calf die out of tough love or laziness is like standing in the wind and letting 100 dollar bills flutter out of my hand. Guess that's why I never quite made being a cowboy. :wink:

I thought I was just an old softy but I try to save every one! Yes I might sell later but if I get the backhoe out and bury no one wants to pay me.

Gcreek, it's not a matter of being a cowboy or not, it's not even about helping one out. I don't know anyone who doesn't try to save them all. It's a matter of getting rid of the rip if she can't do it on her own. I know guys that assist the same cows year after year because she raises a good calf, or baby the rip along on an annual basis because she breeds back every year. Who the heck has time to be in the barn all day nurses calves and sewing up prolapses. I sure as heck don't.

Had a good morning-Ty and I moved 200 yearling heifers and two hundred first calvers with about 35 new calves. Never ran a yearling, sweated a horse or got a calf unmothered. Had to get through some not 'cow friendly' gates lol. The yearlings are a bit horse curious but we poked them along-held them at the gate and then i locked them on my horse and led them through. We had to give one young calf a piggy back ride through some water on a horse but other than that smooth sailing. Some dude in a half ton learned that when I hold up my hand it means stop so it was a training day all around lol.

flyingS said:
Northern Rancher said:
An Angus cows role in life is to be good enough to make a baldy as is a Hereford cows. We got 650 Angus cows calving at the Waldorf and trust me it ain't all sunshine and flowers. A stockman can have a good herd of any breed-if you got poor cattle lots of times the man loking at you in the mirror is to blame-them old cows don't pick the bull they're bred too. If you want trouble free cows you have to buy bulls from herds that are managed as such. Pen calved cattle are managed too much for my situation so I don't buy bulls from those outfits-letting cows be cows and letting the unsuitable ones fall out is a self cleansing system.

Can I get an AMEN!!!!

AMEN

Say it again!

flyingS said:
Northern Rancher said:
An Angus cows role in life is to be good enough to make a baldy as is a Hereford cows. We got 650 Angus cows calving at the Waldorf and trust me it ain't all sunshine and flowers. A stockman can have a good herd of any breed-if you got poor cattle lots of times the man loking at you in the mirror is to blame-them old cows don't pick the bull they're bred too. If you want trouble free cows you have to buy bulls from herds that are managed as such. Pen calved cattle are managed too much for my situation so I don't buy bulls from those outfits-letting cows be cows and letting the unsuitable ones fall out is a self cleansing system.

Can I get an AMEN!!!!

AMEN

If baldies are so good why do people breed them back Angus instead of Hereford. I think I know why but would like to hear someone else's reason.

Konw a steer jocky that had his buyer get a few thousand head of black steers, that fall they sorted and sorted and sorted to makle even loads, the next year he told his buyer black with a white face.He did a a lot less sorthing that fall .
lastpen.jpg

AMEN!!!!

AMEN[/quote]

If baldies are so good why do people breed them back Angus instead of Hereford. I think I know why but would like to hear someone else's reason.[/quote]

In the u.s. I'd say it's because of the predjudice against any other hide color----plus you can put a black hide on something that don't even look angus and get more $$ for it-----the angus guys have done a wonderful job of salesmanship.

But--that pendulum is swinging back---hereford heifers are about impossible to buy, the good bulls are in demand.

The baldies get bred black then the black heifers from that cross get bred Hfd again and the brockles get bred back black. It don't optimize or maximize but it's pretty easy to follow.

Know 3 ranchers that have worked out a deal one raises Red Angus, sells his extra heifers to rancher number 2 for replacements, whom uses Hereford bulls. He sells most all his heifers to Rancher number 3 you uses a terminal cross and sell or feeds all of his calves. works great between the 3.

Latest posts