• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tip for those with Hypoglycemia

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Diabetic to Argue Involuntary Intoxication
Diabetic Convicted of Trying to Kill Wife Gets New Chance to Argue 'Involuntary Intoxication'
By JON SARCHE
The Associated Press

Jun. 13, 2005 - A diabetic man convicted of trying to kill his wife won a chance for a new trial Monday when the Colorado Supreme Court ruled that low blood sugar can cause involuntary intoxication and leave someone incapable of following the law.

The ruling said that under certain conditions, low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, can meet the legal definition of involuntary intoxication as a defense against any crime. It was the first time the court had been presented with that question.

Steve David Garcia Jr., an insulin-dependent diabetic, was convicted of second-degree attempted murder and first-degree assault in a 1999 attack on his wife.

The Supreme Court ruled that the trial judge was wrong when he limited Garcia's ability to use involuntary intoxication from hypoglycemia as a defense.

On a 4-3 vote, the justices said Garcia has to be given another chance to prove he was involuntarily intoxicated, but they left it up to the lower court judge to determine whether he should get a new trial.

The dissenting justices agreed that insulin-induced hypoglycemia could result in involuntary intoxication but said Garcia's low blood sugar was a result of his own actions. He had injected himself with a large dose of insulin on the day of the attack in anticipation of eating cake and ice cream at his daughter's birthday party.

Prosecutors said Garcia hit his wife on the head with a hammer and ran over her with a van in July 1999, three days after she told him she wanted a divorce. She suffered a fractured skull and other injuries.

During his trial, Garcia didn't dispute that he attacked his wife but said he wasn't legally responsible because of hypoglycemia. Doctors testified that symptoms of the condition can include a loss of motor skills and an altered mental state that can "prevent rational thinking, planning, deliberation and even appreciation of what (one is) doing."

On the Net:

State courts: http://www.courts.state.co.us

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

i know a diabetic lady, and have seen her with low blood sugar. She never really does much in the way of violence except she threw a bottle at a barber once, other than that, she said things she wouldn't ordinarily say. She told things to people right off the edge of her mind.

That is true, low blood sugar can lead one to believe the person is in a drunken state.

hell that article reminds me of Bill Janklow who claimed he was in such a "drunken" state when he ran that stop sign and killed that motorcyclist in South Dakota a few years back. Never would of heard about it if he hadn't been the Governor at the time! If you know you have diabetes then you should know this would happen (low blood sugar) if you don't eat or watch yourself. So no excuses, basically if you don't take care of it and watch your diet, then its about as careless as drinking a 12-pack and doing something you regret doing.

when my blood sugar drops to the dangerous levels, i get shaky and jittery and feel like i am in a fog and YES, i get irritable....but NEVER to the point of hurting anyone!! when i get irritable and know i am in trouble, i grab a cup of yogurt or a glass of orange juice to get me back to normal til i can get a meal in my system!!! "Involuntary Intoxication" in someone with KNOWN diabetes???? Baloney!!!!! :x Makes other diabetics look bad!!! hope they throw the book at him :x

If you know you have diabetes then you should know this would happen (low blood sugar) if you don't eat or watch yourself. So no excuses, basically if you don't take care of it and watch your diet, then its about as careless as drinking a 12-pack and doing something you regret doing.[/quote]

I agree TXtibbs, but the lady I knew was basically in denial. She said to everyone that she didn't have diabetes, but everyone knew better. I once had to call 911 for her since she wouldn't respond or eat.

Sort of reminds me of an old song a friend use to sing.Went something like this.....
Saving Up Coupons
I picked up the paper and here's what I read,
THe Mother in-law of poor Jim Jones is dead
Jim up and shot her but they let him go
The gun it was loaded but Jim didn't know

Now I'm saving up coupons to get one of those
A six shot repeater the catalog shows.......Now this is all the words I can recall If any one knows this song please post it here!!!! :???:

I'M SAVING UP COUPONS
Recorded by J. E. Mainer
Written by J. E. Mainer and Jimmie O'Neal

The different cigar stores are giving away
Hundreds and thousands of coupons each day
You get good things for nothing and you bet your life
You get things good-for-nothing 'cuz I got a wife.

You can shut up a jack knife, you've all heard it said
I'm sorry that I didn't get one instead
Five million coupons is what my wife cost
I'd give ten million more to get a divorce.

I'm saving up coupons to get one of those
Of coupon-eritis I'll die I suppose
But a nice little casket the catalog shows
I'm saving up coupons to get one of those.

My brother got married and right off the reel
He started to save for an automobile
And the day that he got it, from smokin' he died
>From his house to the graveyard was his only ride.

His wife then got busy, no time did she lose
Till some lucky boob hopped in poor brother's shoes
And now every evening they both can be seen
As they motor around in poor brother's machine.

When I die my wife marries and riding she goes
I hope when they're in it the darn thing explodes

My wife got the habit, she's saving a few
She has sevnteen thousand nine hundred and two
She wants a new hat and I don't know what for
To get it she needs only three thousand more.

We'd been married a year in a nice little flat
And all that we have is a dog and a cat
The lady next door is just chuck full of joy
The stork came and left her a new baby boy.

My wife is now making some cute baby clothes
I don't know who told her but somehow she knows

Thanks Mike......
Must be hundreds of verses to this song! A lot of those you posted I have never heard.
Where did you find the song?AS I remember it was the same tune as Sweet Betsy From Pike.

Latest posts