• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tire water troughs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tenbach79 said:
I heard of a guy close to where I lived was checking his cows one moring durning the winter and was to lazy to get out to break the little bit of ice that built up on one of his tire tanks. So he had the bright idea of ramming in with his new ford pickup :???:. Now I don't really know exactly how fast he was going but when he hit it his air bags went off :lol:

As has been said, "Here's your sign!" :lol: :lol:

Maybe this guy was from Saskatchewan....."Hold my beer, I'm gonna try sumpthin'"

mrj said:
We have lots of those tire tanks. Look much like what Yanuk posted. They are huge equipment tires used in the coal mines in WY. Ours have been cut before we get them. Never got one free, tho!

Don't know what floats, or quite how we do them, as I haven't been involved and didn't pay attention., but could ask if anyone wants more ideals.

We have pretty remote locations, running our own waterlines off the rural water supply lines, so have to make them pretty trouble free.....and they have been.

Someone locally makes concrete lids, with about three drink holes in them. I think we baffle them somehow and have had very little, mostly no, trouble with them freezing....even at -30% a few days this past winter.

No additional heating, either. Just water out of the Mo. river, piped many miles to us, coming 'the long way round' instead of direct to the nearest point of the river from us. Line goes south from Pierre area, west to Kadoka, and back north and east to us. We live about due west of the intake, I believe, or maybe a bit south of west. And at least 50 miles distant.

The rural water has been a true Godsend for us. We could not have maintained the cattle numbers we did during the 8 years of drought without the rural water. We had a bit of grass, but NO water in summer pastures. Got lots of dams filled, or at least partially so during 2.5" rain in Feb. while ground was frozen. Have enough ground moisture now, to get the grass going again, so mother nature, more accurately, God, is better to us this year than our government intends to be, it seems.

mrj

That sounds like a very interesting water system...glad you have it! Sure, I'd like to know what kind of floats etc you use...can never have too much information :) Trouble free is good!

We have several of these tire troughs. Most of ours are 8 feet across and 4 feet tall. All valves are Jobe mega flows. Since they are 4 feet tall I use a backhoe to dig a hole about 2 1/2 feet deep and bury the tire and backfill around it with clay and rock. The first ones we put in were 6 years ago with no problems.

We use a big holesaw to drill a hole in by the bead and another out by the tread. Hook chain into hole by the bead and use loader to raise and pull while cutting with sawsall, starting in the outer hole.

Have seen some tires where the top was left on and triangles were cut out of the sidewall (top) leaving spaces to drink from. Never tried it that way just seen pictures.

Hope that helps.

Brent

John SD said:
Here's a similar thread from a couple months ago on the NAT livestock page where I posted some links with pics. I prefer the Watson/Lewis float valves with the surface adjustable floats. I also think the new brass float rod will be quite an improvement over the chain.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=81814&posts=23&highlight=earthmover%20tanks&highlightmode=1#M587256

I had to replace the chain and bolts on mine with stainless steel to get it to last. Other than that they work pretty good

Never tried digging in our tire troughs but we do backfill & slope with clay so that calves can reach. Once we've got the fill in place we sprinkle bentonite over the surface & lightly rake it in and sprinkle with enough water to set it up. Makes a hard firm surface that lasts for quite a while....only problem we've had is when a float buggers up and lets the trough run over for several days.......that'll wash anything but cement out!

Cowsense, I like the way I did the tire tank bottoms in the last batch I did. I tamped the dirt firmly, then put down a layer of dry bentonite and got it into all the corners underneath. Then dry redi-mix concrete spread out on top. Then I gently filled the tire with water and just let it set by itself. So far so good with no leaks over a year ago now.

No caulking of seams like I had to to in other tire tanks that I didn't use bentonite in and pre-mixed the concrete with water conventionally. The "put it in dry and pour water around it" is a labor saver and sure worked for me.

tenbach79 said:
I heard of a guy close to where I lived was checking his cows one moring durning the winter and was to lazy to get out to break the little bit of ice that built up on one of his tire tanks. So he had the bright idea of ramming in with his new ford pickup :???:. Now I don't really know exactly how fast he was going but when he hit it his air bags went off :lol:
That's funny :lol: You would'nt happen to be that guy, would ya :wink:

Latest posts