• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tires?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

3 M, just how recently have all these showers you keep talking about occurred? In this area, your tires could be so worn down you could read a Gideon Bible through the tread and you would have no traction problems whatsoever! It would be nice to fight some mud for a change.

We had horrible fog yesterday, so according to the soothsayers we should have one helluva storm in 90 days, March 1.

3 M L & C said:
Ya I look on tire rack, but I don't think any of those people know what a heavy work pickup is. I have those Goodyear armour on my pickup now not worth the money if you drive gravel roads. Maybe on the highway. They had a nice shoulder on them when new but that didn't last long. The knot heads at the county don't train a grader man and the guy by my house has the road so crowned up you need a bit of a sharp edge tire to pull back to the center of the road even after a small shower. Those Toyo m55 kind of interest me. I guess if I can't get the mileage out of the tires i have been using I might as well run some aggressive ones and plan on new tires every year.

We have 3 miles of scoria to the highway, not to mention the many miles Mr. FH drives delivering mineral and we have had no problems.
The county always seems to grade our road when it doesn't rain for a year.
Talk about dust!! And they push all the scoria to the middle. Scoria is really
tough on tires. The ones we have are 10-ply, I assume yours are
as well. They came recommened to us because the loggers (in SD) and
the contractors all use these tires. Interesting that yours didn't hold up. :???:

We had .30 worth of wet snow about 6 weeks ago. Before that we had a couple of.20 showers. Haven't had a good rain since I posted that we had 1 to 3 inches on this web sight. Don't remember when that was long time ago. They are predicting a 30% chance of light snow/rain for friday so we will keep our fingers crossed. Lol. Don't know anything about soria but I do know that when the sand for the road is pushed to the side or in the ditch and all there is is black dirt it dosnt take much moisture to make it slimy. We also had that bad fog as well yesterday

3 M L & C said:
We had .30 worth of wet snow about 6 weeks ago. Before that we had a couple of.20 showers. Haven't had a good rain since I posted that we had 1 to 3 inches on this web sight. Don't remember when that was long time ago. They are predicting a 30% chance of light snow/rain for friday so we will keep our fingers crossed. Lol. Don't know anything about soria but I do know that when the sand for the road is pushed to the side or in the ditch and all there is is black dirt it dosnt take much moisture to make it slimy. We also had that bad fog as well yesterday

Slimy??? Can you say Gumbo? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's what we have. It's awful stuff. Sticks on everything like glue when
wet, then sets up like concrete when dry. Scoria is a form of gumbo, it's
red and has call kinds of sharp corners on it. People use it to gravel their
yards and roads around here because good gravel is scarce. We used to
think it was good to put in the holes before planting bushes, trees, etc.
for drainage. But we found out differently. When it breaks down from being
really wet, it's red gumbo. :cry: At least it does keep the roads where you
don't slide off them when they are wet.

We've had some fog too. Not much moisture, but better than last year when
it was zero moisture. I hope everyone gets some moisture. If we have another drought like last year, it won't be good. We got by last year cuz of
the two years before, but that moisture is gone, gone.

I hear ya about the gumbo FH. This country is built out of blue gumbo and it's hell on vehicles. I often envy those with sandy soil, but I guess it has it's advantages. We have thin topsoil here (6" is getting pretty deep), so having that gumbo directly underneath it means a very little moisture goes a long way.

Silver said:
I hear ya about the gumbo FH. This country is built out of blue gumbo and it's hell on vehicles. I often envy those with sandy soil, but I guess it has it's advantages. We have thin topsoil here (6" is getting pretty deep), so having that gumbo directly underneath it means a very little moisture goes a long way.

What's top soil? :wink: :?

Big Muddy rancher said:
Silver said:

What's top soil? :wink: :?

Lol, well around here it's that thin layer of black stuff that shows up on that thin strip of land between the muskeg that borders the creeks and the rock patches that are the hill sides! :lol:

Latest posts