• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

To buy, or not to buy (New sled!!)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
Well, I got the money to buy my own sled, and I am looking for opinions. I found one right now, it's a 600 Polaris Indy, 2900 miles, and it only costs 2250.00. Dad said that If I wanted to buy a newer and nicer one, we could go halves or something, and I am thinking of either a 500, or a 600 with a liberty engine. Currently we have a 1998 Polaris 700 RMK, and a 1981 Polaris 440 TXC. The 700 is a little big for my taste, cause it's a mountain sled. I wouldn't mind a 700 XCSP or somehting like that. I love the switchbacks, but they are too expensive. Anyone else have opinions for a good, reasonably pricedPOLARIS sled? Somehting good for trail riding, and also open field riding. Good for cross country also. Thanx!! 8) :p

<chuckle> You would have to put the POLARIS stuff in there, wouldn't ya? :lol:

I'm a Scud owner, but my take on it is if you can afford to go with a sled that gives you rider forward positioning, do it. Your young back will thank you when you get older :) So that leaves out pretty much all the Edge sleds, except the XC2 and ProXC which are a little more rider forward. You're looking at something in an IQ chassis, or new RMK chassis (new Switchback included). I haven't had a chance to ride one, but that 600 Liberty sounds sweet in theory.

All jokes aside, I've spent almost 30 years on sleds, and once I made the transition to rider forward (in my case, the REV chassis), I couldn't go back. Better control and better shock absorption are the two biggest factors.

Rod

ACS:

It is just my opinion, but I'd save my money and buy a really good cow to build your future on...if she's good, she'll make you enough future money to buy more than one sled....Heck for $2250 you should be able to buy a good bred heifer now!

Just my opinion...

Cheers--

TTB :wink:

TTB you've never punched out a 600 with a cute Canadian girl hanging on tight behind you-one of life's simpler pleasures. Here's a tip ArmourAll your seat then take your gf for a cruise-she'll have to hang on tight lol.

Northern Rancher said:
Here's a tip ArmourAll your seat then take your gf for a cruise-she'll have to hang on tight lol.

:lol: :lol: When I was in high school, we used to race SSRA events. There were a whole host of us from Nipawin that used to convoy into the events, and one of the racers decided to detail his sled up and make it all purty. I'm not sure what he was thinking, but he AA'ed his seat and bar grips. :lol: The first time he punched the throttle during warm up and tuning, his 1 inch studs bit hard and the sled just squirted right on out from under him. :lol:

Rod

Awwwwww, TTB, don't take all the fun out of it! :roll: I agree with what NR posted, except I'm sure he meant for you to ride on the sled behind Mr TTB! Unless you are in to Canadian girls?!? :oops: :D :lol:

Turkey Track Bar said:
Yeah, I know, I took all the fun out of it. Just trying to help our young friend with his financial future...

I'll admit that riding our sled is fun...when we have enough snow and the thing runs!

Cheers---

Does Mr.TTB Armour All the seat.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Turkey Track Bar said:
Yeah, I know, I took all the fun out of it. Just trying to help our young friend with his financial future...

I'll admit that riding our sled is fun...when we have enough snow and the thing runs!

Cheers---

Nope :wink: I hold on tight without it :wink:

Cheers---

Big Muddy rancher said:
Turkey Track Bar said:

Cheers---

Nope :wink: I hold on tight without it :wink:

Cheers---

I agree with TTB go out and buy yourself a couple of good bred hiefers. You wont regret it. Then build on those two. Some day youll have piles of them running around. Only thing sleds do is cost you money. And this year the price of gas isnt helping that out. :roll:

TTB and M_R, you're right of course! A bred heifer or two would be a much better investment than a new sled. But still not as much fun!

I was once a young fellow like ACS who would have preferred the sled. Now I'm old enough that I'd rather get the chores done and stay in the house and just look outside at the cold and snow! :evil: :twisted: :lol:

Another possibility for ACS if he's got that cash burning a hole in his pocket. Instead of spending the $$$ on a new sled, put it into company stock instead. :idea:

Well, i think i'm gonna get a sled. Friends have some good ones for sale.
I'm takin the 700 for a rip w/ the g/f this saturday. Gonns take her down to the draw, cause shes never seen a deer up close! This is gonna be one good weekend! :D

Angus Cattle Shower said:
Well, i think i'm gonna get a sled. Friends have some good ones for sale.
I'm takin the 700 for a rip w/ the g/f this saturday. Gonns take her down to the draw, cause shes never seen a deer up close! This is gonna be one good weekend! :D

Stud are you goin' STEADY? :wink: :heart: :pretty:

Latest posts