• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

to cut hay or not cut hay?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We have the same forcast here and I'm chooseing not but were done with the high ground and the lowground is iffy at best so we'll wait. I do have 20 or so bales to wrap up today before it begins.

Debating the same thing. Better blue than black. But then again it can't dry standing.

If I think cutting hay will make it rain, Ill do it every time. :D :D

I've lucked out. Should be ready to bale tomorrow.

I would have just about caught up to the mower today but lost the PTO shaft U joint on the baler. Got it fixed this afternoon but last I heard we had 1.5 inches up where I'm haying. :?

The hay doesn't look like it had that much rain the whole time it was growing. :roll:

Talked to my guy this afternoon. He was down for almost a week waiting for parts & then had a health scare. He sounded hesitant to lay my alfalfa down and then get started on my prairie hay, cause "it might rain". I told him the alfalfa was 10 days overdue for being cut and the grass was going backwards due to the heat & no rain. I also told him you had to cut it before you can bale it. "What if it rains"? I then told him that "IF" the dog hadn't stopped to sh!t, he'd have caught the rabbit. He decided he'd lay it down and let me take it up with Mother Nature concerning any rain. :D

We cut the last of the high ground yesterday more rocks then a guy should drive yhru but alot of hay so we saved it until the end and are well into the meadows a couple weeks we'll be fenceing.Spent the evening with a pick ax fighting beaver trying to keep the water down enough to get another 100 bales or better.

Big Muddy rancher said:
The hay doesn't look like it had that much rain the whole time it was growing. :roll:

Our hay has a similar look to it BMR. Only good thing I can say about it is that it as all baled up and nearly all moved in behind elk fencing. Might hunt around for some odds and sods to cut as we are going to be cutting it close. Might even try cutting the feed grounds, hopefully the diamond harrows flattened out the old hay good enough to get through without plugging up.

Denny said:
We cut the last of the high ground yesterday and are well into the meadows a couple weeks we'll be fenceing.Spent the evening with a pick ax fighting beaver trying to keep the water down enough to get another 100 bales or better.

Part of my daily chores is to fire up the backhoe and tear out a beaver dam. I started out trying to see who was more determined. HE IS!!! now I do it because he has me mad.

LazyWP said:
Denny said:
We cut the last of the high ground yesterday and are well into the meadows a couple weeks we'll be fenceing.Spent the evening with a pick ax fighting beaver trying to keep the water down enough to get another 100 bales or better.

Part of my daily chores is to fire up the backhoe and tear out a beaver dam. I started out trying to see who was more determined. HE IS!!! now I do it because he has me mad.

My next purchase is going to be a small trac-hoe I spend 40 to 60 hours a year on beaver damns.

5 inches of rain at big beaver yesterday. I had a bit of hay down but it's layed flat cut by the mower so won't take long to dry out. Doubt it will help what i yet yto cut much but should green up the pastures some. :D

Only 6/10 here at the ranch12 miles away. :roll:

Latest posts