• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

To MRJ: easier-on- the- knees gardening

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nr

Reaction score
Back when I visited patients in their homes I met one very elderly gardner who had simplified things beautifully. He had a porch off the back of the house that got good sun. He bought plastic bags of probably potting soil,
punched holes in the bottom of each for good drainage, put them in a row on the ground along the front of his porch, slashed a few holes on top of each bag, planted pole bean seeds in the slashes and ran strings tied to each bag up to the roof gutter. The pole beans grew like crazy. No weeding. He ran a hose in the plastic bags if they needed watering but the plastic bags did a good job of retaining moisture. Then he picked his pole beans standing up on his porch. Guess that would work for cucumbers as well as grape tomatoes. Very simple clean up in the Fall. Made me wonder, why dig? :roll:

nr said:
Back when I visited patients in their homes I met one very elderly gardner who had simplified things beautifully. He had a porch off the back of the house that got good sun. He bought plastic bags of probably potting soil,
punched holes in the bottom of each for good drainage, put them in a row on the ground along the front of his porch, slashed a few holes on top of each bag, planted pole bean seeds in the slashes and ran strings tied to each bag up to the roof gutter. The pole beans grew like crazy. No weeding. He ran a hose in the plastic bags if they needed watering but the plastic bags did a good job of retaining moisture. Then he picked his pole beans standing up on his porch. Guess that would work for cucumbers as well as grape tomatoes. Very simple clean up in the Fall. Made me wonder, why dig? :roll:

{I've heard of doing something similar. With my luck, something would tear open the bags and would have a mess to clean up. I do like my foam plastic large flower pots. They are tough and lightweight.

MRJ}

MRJ"With my luck, something would tear open the bags and would have a mess to clean up. I do like my foam plastic large flower pots. They are tough and lightweight. "

Forgot you're over run with varmints!
I like those foam pots, too, except their price. Leaving them outside in winter without the worry of cracking.

Latest posts