• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

To the Canadians

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancher

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving Day! Is it a big holiday like it is here. Today is Columbus day and the post office and banks are closed. :mad:

Who cares if it's Columbus Day and the banks are closed......IT'S RAININ IN TEXAS!!!!!!!

No actually we were discussin this last night, why do we celebrate Columbus Day? He was broke, had no money, borrowed money from a queen for the ships, lied to his crewman about how far they'd traveled, then was totally lost when he got there. Thought he had found the Indies, Called the natives Indians. BUT........he was in Cuba!!!!

columbus2.jpg

his route.

Congratulations on the rain, it is too muddy here to do anything. Was going to waste the day in town doing business, but everything is closed that is important. I think we celebrate Columbus day just so the government people can have ANOTHER day off.

Rancher,

Everything is closed up here too. Its too darn muddly out to go out and pick round bales. Still drying up from the snow and we got more rain last nite. Starting to look like we may never get finished harvest this year. :(

Happy Thanksgiving to my Fello Canadians

And Happy Columbus day to all my fello American friends!!

Good thing I jumped on here and read this thread - I just came in for dinner and was going to change clothes to take some money transfers to the bank- plumb forgot about the Holiday....Have to wait until Wed as I have a crew lined up to vaccinate calves tomorrow....

Been trying to get some of the deer fence around the haystacks stretched up-- could end up being a bad year for keeping deer out of hay as almost everyone around me on the river has leased out to outfitters- their clients usually only shoot a few bucks all year, which leaves a 1000+ does to eat off the haystacks if the winter turns bad.....I hate to see it when everything is leased to outfitters for the out of state and pay hunters - I guess I'm not that tough up for the almighty dollar yet- still like to let the locals have access.....

I stayed with Block Management so the Fish and Game says I qualify for damage reparations-but I think I'll do all I can to just keep the deer out first.....

rancher said:
Happy Thanksgiving Day! Is it a big holiday like it is here. Today is Columbus day and the post office and banks are closed. :mad:

Thanks Rancher. We had family over last night for an early Thanksgiving supper. Pigged out on Turkey and pumpkin pie!
I'm not sure just how big of a holiday it is for others but we always celebrate with family and have a big meal.
Too wet to do much outside today, so we are just lazing around eating leftovers!! I gotta go continue my nap now! :)

rancher said:

Thanks rancher. We celebrated yesterday with our best friend's family because we were over there combining. I was going to go to my folks later today, but we hauled cattle this morning and now they're back to combining at the friend's place. They'll be moving back here later this afternoon, so I guess I'll stick around and help them move. At least I got turkey this year! Thanksgiving is no big deal with my husband's family or mine, for that matter. It's usually just another work day.

Oh, and if you could tell the real jake, I'd like a real expensive camera! :wink:

Boy those new digitals aren't too bad _I even got mine fairly well mastered lol. That Panasonic with 12X optical zoom and image stabilizer is a pretty sweet unit so is the Canon with the same features.

Thank you foer the holiday wishes. We have been gathering and weaning all weekend. Got the cows processed on Sunday and the calves done to day.
I think Mrs. BMR said we went thru over 40 pounds of meat 30 pounds of potatos, 12 pies . I think the high was 22 for supper one night.Not that we need that big of crew but we have friends that like to come to help so it is our branding party for the year. One family come and the daughter live 500 miles away but it's the family getaway for a weekend of riding in the badlands and they are pretty good hands at sorting.. some have been coming for years so they know what needs to be done and how to do it. All the cows and calves were split on horse back and the cows were brought to the processing tudb by horse.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Thank you foer the holiday wishes. We have been gathering and weaning all weekend. Got the cows processed on Sunday and the calves done to day.
I think Mrs. BMR said we went thru over 40 pounds of meat 30 pounds of potatos, 12 pies . I think the high was 22 for supper one night.Not that we need that big of crew but we have friends that like to come to help so it is our branding party for the year. One family come and the daughter live 500 miles away but it's the family getaway for a weekend of riding in the badlands and they are pretty good hands at sorting.. some have been coming for years so they know what needs to be done and how to do it. All the cows and calves were split on horse back and the cows were brought to the processing tudb by horse.

I know what your saying about the sortimng help! We sorted off 100 yearlings from 150 othe yearlings and our small cowherd, yesterday. me my son and daughter in law who is just learning and a buddy from Michigan who rides a mule.
Daughter in law is gettin' purty handy and the buddy even got the mule to workin' purty good.

Went real smooth and we hardly ever had any get out of a slow stroll towards the gate. Had a young feller who works south of here show up about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way from being done, so had him horseback. He was wantin' to go a little too fast, as thats how his boss likes to do it, so I told him to treat them like fat cattle headed for the scale, as he used to work in a feedlot. That helped! :lol:

Sure was enjoyable watchin' and being a part of slow cow work! :lol:

I even traded with my son and run the gate so he could get horseback for a spell. 'Course I had to start the sort to set a good example! :lol:

Yesterday, we sorted the biggest load of black steers off, and then the middle cut load of black steers. Saddletramp, Mrs. Soapweed, Brock and I made up the crew. This was done one pair at a time, with the aid of good saddle horses. The day was chilly, but wind wasn't much of a factor, so all in all we had an enjoyable time.

Goingthroughtheherd.jpg

Going through the herd
Holdingtheherdthecutisbehind.jpg

Mrs. Soapweed and Saddletramp holding the herd, with the cut behind
Againholdingtheherdwiththecutbehind.jpg

Again, holding the herd, with the cut behind
SaddletramponWyatt.jpg

Saddletramp on Wyatt
CarolonClavinova.jpg

Mrs. S on Clavinova
Brockonthenewpaint.jpg

Brock on the new paint