• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

To TX Tibbs and JingleBob Pictures for you ol' fossils

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nr

Reaction score
Got around to rearranging suitcase contents of dirty laundry and fossils and thought you'd be interested in the latter more than the former. I washed up the fossils which is a heck of a lot more fun than washing laundry. Here are two views of the first fossil. When washed it has an orifice which brought back having to memorize in anatomy the holes in bones that nerves went through.
Denverdinnersfossilsfashions023.jpg

Denverdinnersfossilsfashions044.jpg

The last one shows the flat surface of the bone and the rough marrow.
Denverdinnersfossilsfashions039.jpg

Thank you so much, JingleBob. Dino hunting was something I've always wanted to do. Another business for your ranch! :D

TXTibbs said:
Who you callin an ole fossil?? haha. Neat pictures NR......I have several old fossils of different things.....I'm waiting for someone to offer me a Million Dollars for them so I can retire! :wink: :lol2:

So you're still not telling where you found yours?

No not really.........I found them on different ranches up home in South Dakota.....and most of them people would prolly shoot anyone who tried to go on their land and dig for fossils. I guess not all are as friendly as Jinglebob. And since i'm not sure of the legalities of some of them I tend to not talk about em much :wink: Somethings its best just to keep your mouth shut. No one would of known i even had any if somone hadn't spied them in that picture......

I do have a petrified wolf skull ( i guess its a wolf) that my gramma give me. She found it years ago in like the 50's in the badlands......back when it was legal to take stuff if you found it....now days they would hang u if you done that. Mom also talks about the saber tooth cat skull they had laying around there yard. Mom remembers as a kid it leaning against the house and her kicking it around the yard......big ole tusks coming off it. Well this was in the 50's to and I guess one day a sales man or some schmuck came into their yard and really took interest in that skull and I guess my gramma just give it to him!!!! Yeah yeah I know....but she is almost 91 now and cussing at her about it now wouldn't get the skull back anyway!!! :wink: But it just didn't mean anything to her and back in them days things were different....I dunno....but I'd sure like to have that skull now. I'm sure it wasn't worth a pot to piss in, but sure would of been something neat to have laying around.

Thats all I gotta say...

TXTibbs said:
No not really.........I found them on different ranches up home in South Dakota.....and most of them people would prolly shoot anyone who tried to go on their land and dig for fossils. I guess not all are as friendly as Jinglebob. And since i'm not sure of the legalities of some of them I tend to not talk about em much :wink: Somethings its best just to keep your mouth shut. No one would of known i even had any if somone hadn't spied them in that picture......

I do have a petrified wolf skull ( i guess its a wolf) that my gramma give me. She found it years ago in like the 50's in the badlands......back when it was legal to take stuff if you found it....now days they would hang u if you done that. Mom also talks about the saber tooth cat skull they had laying around there yard. Mom remembers as a kid it leaning against the house and her kicking it around the yard......big ole tusks coming off it. Well this was in the 50's to and I guess one day a sales man or some schmuck came into their yard and really took interest in that skull and I guess my gramma just give it to him!!!! Yeah yeah I know....but she is almost 91 now and cussing at her about it now wouldn't get the skull back anyway!!! :wink: But it just didn't mean anything to her and back in them days things were different....I dunno....but I'd sure like to have that skull now. I'm sure it wasn't worth a pot to p*** in, but sure would of been something neat to have laying around.

Thats all I gotta say...
Would you post a pix of the wolf skull? That would really be interesting. :shock:

Your post reflects your good attitude, TX TIBBS.

Something like that is disappointing, but no sense letting it get the best of you now.

And you are so right, things WERE different back then. Who would have known how things have gone.

Yep, you have the right attitude, IMO.

Your " wolf" fossil skull.....guessing from what you say and where you found it is probably what is called an oreodont. They are not a dog but really do look like it. Look at the canine teeth if the skull still has the tops and bottom jaws together....if the top ones are in front of the bottom ones, then it's an oreodont. They were the only mammal with a dental arrangement like that. A normal animal with canine teeth, a dog of today has it the opposite way.

If it'a an oreodont ,it's a hoofed mammal, about 30-40 MY +/- old.....and is found EXTENSIVELY in SD and WY in badland areas. Mostly found it what is called the White River Formation, from the Oligocene era.

They were very common, about the size of medium dog, on average, and were burrowing animals and tended to live in groups, kinda like ground squirrels.

But, common or not....a good skull, complete with jaws and teeth will sell to the right buyer for about $300 or so.

kolanuraven said:
Your " wolf" fossil skull.....guessing from what you say and where you found it is probably what is called an oreodont. They are not a dog but really do look like it. Look at the canine teeth if the skull still has the tops and bottom jaws together....if the top ones are in front of the bottom ones, then it's an oreodont. They were the only mammal with a dental arrangement like that. A normal animal with canine teeth, a dog of today has it the opposite way.

If it'a an oreodont ,it's a hoofed mammal, about 30-40 MY +/- old.....and is found EXTENSIVELY in SD and WY in badland areas. Mostly found it what is called the White River Formation, from the Oligocene era.

They were very common, about the size of medium dog, on average, and were burrowing animals and tended to live in groups, kinda like ground squirrels.

But, common or not....a good skull, complete with jaws and teeth will sell to the right buyer for about $300 or so.

There you go, TX Tibbs- your retirement money!

Latest posts