• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Today's find

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Here are some photos I took this afternoon during a break from chasing antelope hunters around.

These are all steer calves born during the second week of April and thru May and still on summer range.
Sageandsteer.jpg

Hettmanspairs.jpg

Brute.jpg

This one has the local landmarks Square Top Butte and Castle Rock in the background. They look closer, but are at least 20 miles away.
FlattopandCR.jpg

This next one shows the shape most dams around here are in. I call the picture "wishful thinking". :wink:
Drydam.jpg

Do you have to haul water to them?

Nope. We luckily do not have to. That is probably the best asset this area has is it's water. We can hit lots of water anywhere on our ranch. From 50- 300 feet deep, we have lots of water. The stronger veins are the lower ones, usually. We also have many miles of pipeline, but every year we have drought, we find we need more. There is some going in here at the moment. It is another story as you go south of here. One neighbor figured if he could have found pasture, he could have summered cheaper than what his water hauling bill has added up to with everything figured in.

Dams are just not reliable anymore around here. We have lots of dams, but just a few have any good water in them. And our river is dried up to nothing too.

There is not much that is more important than water.

Good looking cattle Jake,they look like the kind a man can make money with.Your area looks almost as dry as it has been around here,I sold down once because it was too dry and prices were right,guess I can do it again,you are sure right about water...................good luck

Haymaker, don't worry, it will rain someday. It always rains after drought right? :???:

Jinglebob,
We are in the Grand River watershed, but not on the Grand, on our north end. The main part of the ranch is on the N. Moreau River. The original homestead I would guess you would call it, was on the Moreau well before homestead days.

BMR, I had too many irons in the fire to be in Deadwood. I have been trying to spend time off with the family. I did manage to get a horse sale in that weekend though, so shame on me. :wink: You did drive right through the middle of our ranch on your way by.

Alabama, We turn bulls in our yearling heifers on the 20th of June. Then turn in the cows on the 1st of July. Bred heifers for 35 days this year, and cows 49 days. We are selling a load of heifers on the 15th of Oct. this year and weaning the rest that day, and our steer day is the 23rd. I like to wean in mid Oct. to let the cows stay in good shape for winter. This is hard short grass country that put a good gain on most years. Calves on the cow can average 3# gain/day if the conditions are right. Rotational grazing and good water are the most help.

Thanks for asking all.

Jake I thought that antelope in your first picture looked familiar. :wink: That seemed to be the same veiw of Castle rock as from the hiway. I enjoyed my drive thru your area. I seem to like the big open and different ranching areas.

Latest posts