• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Today's Kodak moments

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses said:
Oh, I have had plenty of practice being harrassed, :wink:

it's just this image that I have to keep! :lol:

at least YOU have managed to keep your sense of humor, FH.....when others seem to have never had one in the first place!!!! :roll: .....despite the tough times in your life, you manage to bring a smile and a ray of sunshine to those around you....THANK YOU!!! :D

Soapweed how close are you to Valentine or Hyannis-I've only travelled through your country a couple times but I sure like it. I have a buddy at Lamarr Col. has a ranch at Valentine also.

The silhouette picture shows plainly that you ride what "I call" TEXAS STYLE - the reins come out the top of your hand - - what us oldtimers call California Style is where the reins come out the botton of your hand (under your little fingure) - - MY THOUGHTS are:

Texas Style :!: - when you pull up or rein your hand tends to come up to your chest and there by tending to raize a horses head

California Style :!: - when you pull up or rein your hand tends to come down to your belly button there by tending to lower your horses head.

In the picture below the silhouette picture I had to note the pretty "Power Blue" fence pannels - something I might expect to see out here in California 8) - kinda goes along with my painting my tools Pink to stop people from stealing them :roll: "WORKS"

Joking aside - are they stock? - what make are they

Soapweed said:
Faster horses said:
Great pictures, as usual, Soapweed!!

But, but, PPRM, the only thing I saw peeking over the fence, was a COW.

Did I miss somthing somewhere? :wink:

You're picking on me again, faster horses. :wink: :) I KNOW my bulls don't have any EPDs, but you hurt their feelings if you don't at least think they look like bulls. :???: :? :)
- - - - - -SOAPWEED! about your comments regarding EPD's - - - -Am I gonna' have to come up there and give you a talkin' to?? :wink:

DOC

Doc, you'd probably better come up and 'splain things to me. It is over my head. All that fancy stuff, like EPDs, just costs more money. The cows don't care. I don't care. As long as the buyers keep buying, I'll just keep putzin' along raisin' EPDless big beefy good calves. :? :???: :wink: :)

Northern Rancher said:
Soapweed how close are you to Valentine or Hyannis-I've only travelled through your country a couple times but I sure like it. I have a buddy at Lamarr Col. has a ranch at Valentine also.

Northern Rancher, Valentine is about 55 miles east of us, and Hyannis is about 70 miles south. Who is your buddy with a ranch at Valentine?

OldDog/NewTricks said:
The silhouette picture shows plainly that you ride what "I call" TEXAS STYLE - the reins come out the top of your hand - - what us oldtimers call California Style is where the reins come out the botton of your hand (under your little fingure) - - MY THOUGHTS are:

Texas Style :!: - when you pull up or rein your hand tends to come up to your chest and there by tending to raize a horses head

California Style :!: - when you pull up or rein your hand tends to come down to your belly button there by tending to lower your horses head.

In the picture below the silhouette picture I had to note the pretty "Power Blue" fence pannels - something I might expect to see out here in California 8) - kinda goes along with my painting my tools Pink to stop people from stealing them :roll: "WORKS" Joking aside - are they stock? - what make are they

The silhouette is a little deceiving, because I usually ride with the reins in my left hand (so I can rope with my right). While trying to take the picture, my horse was wanting to catch up with the herd. With the camera in my right hand, my arm was in a picture taking stance, so I put the reins in my right hand and clicked the picture off the moving horse with my left hand.

You are right, I do ride with the reins coming up through my hand. I always use split reins, and don't care to use fancy romals and darned sure not round roping reins. When I get off to go through a gate, it is just handy to have the split reins so I can leave the right rein over the horse's neck and lead him through with the left. My style is probably wrong for anyone else, but as I say, the left hand holds the reins and my ringless ring finger separates the two reins. They then come up over my thumb and back down. Like most everything else I do, it's probably not correct but it works for me.

The corral panels are made by Scott Manufacturing, Gordon, Nebraska. Their slogan is: "Let the blue go to work for you." I like their stuff.

Soapweed said:
Doc, you'd probably better come up and 'splain things to me. It is over my head. All that fancy stuff, like EPDs, just costs more money. The cows don't care. I don't care. As long as the buyers keep buying, I'll just keep putzin' along raisin' EPDless big beefy good calves. :? :???: :wink: :)
- - - -SH-E-E-E-E-SH! :shock: - - -Well, - - -I WON'T give up! - -I just WILL NOT give up! :p :p My "Determination EPD" is higher than your "Neck Bow EPD"! :lol: :lol:

DOC

My buddy is none other than the illustious Bob Lord lol-I stopped in and overnited at his place a couple years back. He's been up here fishing with my other friends from Buffalo, Wyoming-quite a character. I asked about Hyannis because of the old bar there with all the rodeo pictures. An old cowboy from up here-Mac Mckie-has his picture on the wall there. Mac told me that je thought he knew how to drink whiskey till he rodeoed in Hyannis. He talked about an outfit there that was still running long two year olds on grass can't remember their names now as it was a few years back. I was going through there on my way to look at a Guppy bull at Vic Gentry's but that's another story lol.

Welcome to the board, David. Seems like you were into riding broncs and bulls when you were a kid. Are you still hanging out with the wild bunch?

I always got a kick out of a story your dad told, of an experience he had as a veterinarian. It was in the era when telephone answering machines were still a novelty, and very few people had them. Everyone was scared to talk into them, if someone did have one.

One day, he was running late for a vaccinating job out in the country. He had started out in his pickup and forgot something, so went back to the house. As he was hurriedly leaving for the second time, the phone rang. He really hated to take time to answer it, but hated just as bad to not answer it. Inspiration hit, so he answered, "Hello, this is Doctor David Browder. I am not available right now so please leave a message." Old Earl Kayton was on the other end, and he was very hard of hearing at best. He replied, "Who is this?"

Your dad goofed, and said again, "Hello, this is Doctor David Browder. I am not available right now so please leave a message." Then he realized his mistake, and that he'd been had, so there was no other choice but to talk to Earl. He was still embarrassed but could see the humor in it, a week later when he told me the story. :)

Scott Manufacturing

[singing]
Scott Manufacturers--We're the rancher's friend.[/singing]

I haven't listened to KSDZ in about six years... Funny how stuff comes back. :D

Re: gate latches.
My father in law loves to complain about when he left Monahan's in '86 and moved out to Sioux Co., NE. Apparently the gate latch idea hadn't migrated that direction yet, because he made them for all of his gates. And proceeded to lose them on a regular basis. Sometimes they came back (apparently the thief just wanted to borrow it for a pattern) and sometimes they didn't. lol

Say Soap.....I can save you a little strain on your neck :D Where the twine comes out of the upper eyelet on the left side of the baler----take it across through the lower eyelet on the right side then across and through the lower eyelet on the left side.That way you can see if both twines are running,turning your head one way! :( :D

Heard you know J.McG....In Boxelder SD

Soapweed said:
Juan, thanks for the baler twine tip. I'll have to try that.

Tell J. McG "hi" for me next time you see him. He's an old mule connoisseur from way back.

Ya Ya..That's him alright.I've known him for more than 50 years and a nicer man would be hard to find.

A bLessed Christmas to you and all of yours.

I coach a college rodeo team in Portales, NM at Eastern New Mexico University but I still consider the sandhills home. My dad just retired and is writing a book about all of his vet experiences. I miss Gordon,my sister Dayna works at The First National Bank in Gordon so I still make it back every once in a while!

Latest posts