• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tomorrow Fun Day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
Been working too much for retired people so tomorrow we are taking a rode trip. Down to Jordan Valley for the big loop. It is a rodeo/roping. The big loop portion they literally measure the loop. I forget how big the loop is required to be but it is one big loop. It is an old time wild west sort of deal. If you have never been to Jordan Valley it is a tiny wide spot in the middle big ranch country in the high desert. The population makes a huge increase one weekend out of the year.

I was at that rodeo in the late 70s or so. It was a ranch rodeo with real hands and ranchers and a fun one to watch and participate in. It had the wild horse roping that was all performed with respect for all the horses back then, but I was reading that several years ago some ropers started tripping intentionally and that stirred some controversy that led to a state no tripping law being passed and could lead to 6 months in jail and hefty fines and the Malheur Sherriff is on hand to cuff anyone guilty. I know the Peta people had cameras videoing the entire event looking for anything they could make a stink about. I bet they still do.

I remember while I and friends were eating their cowboy breakfast, some kids around 8 to 12 got to exchanging insults and bragging. One tough-looking little buckeroo says to another, "you rope-like Billy's little sister hahaha!" The other kid responded, " I only wish I was that good." Well, when Billy's little sister roped everyone wished they roped that good. For years that became a saying among a few of us. I remember going to see Beers and Pickett rope at some small event and later a friend asked how they did and I said, "Well if they keep practicing they will be as good as Billy's little sister." :ROFLMAO:

So Webfoot, keep your eyes and ears open for an amazing lady roper in her 50s and ask her if she has an older brother named Billy.

Last edited:
I think the horse roping is on Saturday. We were going to go on Saturday but there is a memorial service here that day. Works out that Friday is our only open day. So we will see what they do on Friday.

I forget how big the loop is required to be but it is one big loop.
I think it is 20-foot of ROPE in the loop or it used to be. I know there used to be some discussion over open overhead loops VS more elongated loops swung more to the side by those thinking the loop had to be 20' in diameter. I think they mark the rope at 20 feet so it is visible if 20' was out in the loop. I don't know if there is any rule on total rope length. I would think 35' would be a minimum. I know in the Vasquereo big loop roping they use 45' to 60' ropes.

Well we went. The loop has to be 20 feet when you ride into the box. Ride in with a smaller loop and you get flagged out immediately. There was a judge out there before you went into the box. He was looking at the ropes. Friday is just slack. Barrel racing, team roping (muleys), big loop horse roping, and break away. They head and front foot the horses. No going to the horn on the front foot. Just catch and hold your slack. There had to be 30 teams in the big loop. Only 4 or 5 times. The last couple years it was won with a 20 and change time. The first time this year was 19.62. The announcer was like that will probably hold to win. The very next team was 18.44.
One thing I looked for was rubber wrapped saddle horns. I didn't see a single one. All the mule hide. They didn't take a single dally like you do with rubber. It is 2 or 3 wraps to get dallied off. The vast majority of the ranchers and cowboys here use 50 or 60 foot ropes. And certainly that was what they used in the big loop.
Our resident rodeo expert would really be upset with all the flat brim flat, crowned hats. Oh well it is that part of the world.

I didn't see Billy's little sister. There was half a dozen ladies in the big loop but all appeared to younger than their 50's. One of the few times in the big loop was a man at the head and a lady roping the feet. Time wise they are way out of the money but most of that was on the handle by the man. There was a few names I recognized so a few of the boys stopped in for a little local fun. I would say they stopped while passing through but Jordan Valley isn't on the way to anything.

Latest posts